Author Topic: List of items to build my car for the 200mph D/BGC  (Read 5831 times)

Offline craigibc

List of items to build my car for the 200mph D/BGC
« on: December 12, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »
Hey,

I spent some time in Lake Tahoe over the weekend with my SCTA rule book in hand. I tried my best to compile a through list of what is needed to get my car ready for LSR next year. Below is the list of items that I came up with that will be needed to get my car ready for the dry lakes in the spring.

The car is already complete and the body and drivetrain are ready for  SCTA racing but it does not have a roll cage and all the safety equipment.

Please review the list and let me know if I missed anything or any recommendation of a product I should go with when buying my equipment. I am doing a budget build so I do not want to compromise on quality but I do not care about name brands either.

D/BGC

Rule book
2.f
Tires needed: vr and zr rated tires
5  1/2" studs center reinforced by welding
1" lug nuts no acorn lug nuts
Number on car minimum 3" high

3.a.1 Clothing:

3.a.1 driver's suit sfi 3.2a/20
3.a.1 gloves Sfi 3.3/15
3.a.1 head sock sfi 3.3
3.a.1 boots Sfi 3.3/15
3.a.2 helmet 2010 full faced with face shield sa2010
boots Sfi 3.3/15

Not sure what 3.a.3 is?
3.a.3 Forward side and rear helmet support system Sfi specs 38.1
3.B
3.b.1 Roll 1 3/4" DOM .120 10 point roll cage, gussets at tube junctions of hoops and shoulder rail. standard .125 4" per side not larger than 6"
roll cage padding must be Sfi 45.1 and 45.2 for flat plate

Is this something I can make myself or is built into the seat head rest?
Padded head rest, within 2" of the back of helmet
3.d.1 seats shall be constructed of metal or alloy with a max. Of 1" padding
3.d.2 seat belts Sfi 16.5 3" mounted to the frame , cross members or reinforced mounting points

Arm and leg restraints and a full net door. I have googled and cannot find a full net door any advice?
3.d. 3 arm and leg restraints Sfi 3.3 with a date of 2006 or later. Restraint nets are acceptable as the primary leg restraint system. All mounting tabs shall be inside the outside plane of the roll cage. Shall have a full net door.

3.h automatic transmission shall have blanket/ shield with Sfi 4.1
3.h. 1 positive reverse lockout to prevent accidental reverse gear engagement.
3.i.1 all areas where the fuel lines are near clutch and flywheel shall run through heavy steel  tube or outside the frame rail.  All cars with other than stock fuel system shall have fuel shutoff within the drivers reach. All electric fuel pumps shall inertial switch in the circuit to disable pump operation. All positive fuel shut off valves shall have a positive stop to prevent reopening of the valve. All fuel tanks shall be vented to eliminate spillage in the event of an rollover.
3.j all cars shall be equipped with redundant, self closing throttle control with 2 return springs
3.k all vehicle shall have a battery disconnect switch
3.m approved parachute
3.n parachute release shall be mounted in such a fashion that the driver can actuate under emergency condition while strapped in a seat.

Any recommendations on a fire system?
3.q fire extinguishing system 10lbs. Of halon 1301, 1211, DuPont FE36, and certain afff systems including cold fire 302, ess foam, Firefox gem foam or other halon replacement. Dry chemical and co2 may be used in engine compartment only.
Cars over 150mph shall have an additional 5lbs. That can be applied via fixed nozzles to serve the engine area. The engine system shall include 2 nozzles directed toward the header/oil pan area.
All vehicles over 200mph shall have an additional 5lbs. Which is designed and fitted for driver protection.

3.u all windshield wiper blades and arms  shall be removed. On front and rear window retaining tabs or straps are required over 175mph.

Seeing the record does not exceed 200mph this should not apply to me right?
Beginning 2012 all vehicles where records exceed 200mph must have a all non- laminated safety glass replaced with polycarbonate material.

Offline dw230

Re: List of items to build my car for the 200mph D/BGC
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 09:45:54 PM »
Well, the record may not be 200 yet but, the minimum to set a record is 200. I believe all the suggestions you get here will be to build your car for 200+

You gotta think you are putting things in place to set records, don't defeat yourself before getting to the track.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline krusty

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:14:31 AM »
    <Seeing the record does not exceed 200mph this should not apply to me right?>

Did I miss something? The D/BGC record is 276.715; the D/CBGC record is 209.236. Either class would require racing tires per 2.F. and relpacement of non-laminated safety glass.  You must build to the class record speed as a minimum, even though you may not think you car will go that fast.

Please give us more information on your body style and engine, perhaps it belongs in a different class?

vic

Offline RansomT

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 09:40:16 AM »
I think he has a '62 Falcon.

Now, that I think of it ..... A V8 wasn't an option in the 62 Falcon, that came in 62 1/2, no?  (this is what happens to you when you grow up in a Ford family)....

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
Well declare it a 63  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline craigibc

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:29:57 AM »
yes it is a 62 Falcon and it did not come stock with a 289 it was added later. And you are right at Bonneville the record is far above 200mph but at El Mirage I was told I need to build for 200mph.

So if I only plan to run at El Mirage the first few years do I only need to build for that record?

This is exactly why I am asking questions like this so I build it once and build it correctly.

Thanks again for your insight!

Craig

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 12:05:43 PM »
Here comes the same story that you'll have heard a hundred times before it fades away:

If you were never, ever, going to run at Bville -- then it'd be enough to build for the EM rules.  But you say that you'll run El Mirage for the first few years -- which tells me that you'll probably go on to Bonneville eventually.  Do you want to tear things down and go back and rebuild - or would you rather not have that to deal with when you're ready to go to the salt?

And then there's the safety issue.  While the rules are minimums, there's nothing that says you're not allowed (or even encouraged) to build to better-than-rules for the sake of your own hide.   Build it as well as as safe as you can and you'll save time and money in the build - and recuperation time in the event you end up on your head.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 12:42:19 PM »
Craig, the main thing I didn't see listed was a really tall stack of $100s 
Making anything go 200 requires really tall stack of $100s  :wink:
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline craigibc

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 04:05:15 PM »
A few questions on the list were not addressed by anyone yet. Can you give me any more details on the questions below:

Not sure what 3.a.3 is? Is this a hans device?

Is this something I can make myself or is built into the seat head rest?
Padded head rest, within 2" of the back of helmet.

Arm and leg restraints and a full net door. I have googled and cannot find a full net door any advice?
3.d. 3 arm and leg restraints Sfi 3.3 with a date of 2006 or later. Restraint nets are acceptable as the primary leg restraint system. All mounting tabs shall be inside the outside plane of the roll cage. Shall have a full net door.

Any recommendations on a fire system?
3.q fire extinguishing system 10lbs. Of halon 1301, 1211, DuPont FE36, and certain afff systems including cold fire 302, ess foam, Firefox gem foam or other halon replacement. Dry chemical and co2 may be used in engine compartment only.
Cars over 150mph shall have an additional 5lbs. That can be applied via fixed nozzles to serve the engine area. The engine system shall include 2 nozzles directed toward the header/oil pan area.
All vehicles over 200mph shall have an additional 5lbs. Which is designed and fitted for driver protection.

Thanks,

Craig

Offline Tman

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »
A few questions on the list were not addressed by anyone yet. Can you give me any more details on the questions below:

Not sure what 3.a.3 is?

3.a.3

That is the section of the rulebook you are reading.

Offline craigibc

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 04:44:53 PM »
true...

but exactly what is this device? A hans device?

Craig

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 05:00:57 PM »
Craig,

I think you are confusing the issue. You need to have lateral and rearward support. This means either the seat has the support built in or the cage has padded supports. Forward movement is to be arrested via Head and Neck device. SFI 38.1 is the spec for H&N devices. Be careful of this detail, the rule book does not require the device be SFI certified, only SFI engineered and tested. DJ Safety has a good system that makes it easier to exit the car.

You live in the right part of the country for this racing. The rule book has listed the class chairpersons and the Clubs have a ton of information.

Have you joined a club yet? It is probably the cheapest access to information and folks who have already crossed your hurdles.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline craigibc

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »
John,

I have been hanging out with the people at the San Diego Roadster Club the last 6 months. I have been asking alot of questions and I am trying to spread those questions about so not to be a real pain to any one individual.

The SDRC guys have been real helpful so far.

Craig

Offline mkilger

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 06:27:27 PM »
SDRC, isnt that a bike club now with 3 roadsters in it  :evil: ya build it go 250, you always want to go faster. then down the road when you want to sell the car some one can step into it and go racing

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »
Yeah Mike,

But one of those Roadsters is 2011 Car Points Champ!

Tom