Author Topic: Cones to mark places in line?  (Read 9523 times)

Offline Koncretekid

Cones to mark places in line?
« on: December 07, 2011, 06:40:41 PM »
This year at Loring was my first time for an east coast event, and probably because Loring is quite remote from the rest of the east coast events, wait lines were tolerable.  But one thing I saw that I question was the use of cones to mark someone's place in line. For example I spent a couple of hours Saturday afternoon and into the early evening working on my bike to get it ready for Sunday morning. I noticed a few cars and bikes being put in line to get an early starting place for Sunday, and I did the same. But what I did not particularly agree on was that some competitors had put orange cones in line with their initials on them, to save a place.  To me that meant that their vehicles were not yet ready.  So why did I bother to work into the evening to get mine ready?  I would like to know what others think of this practice, and is it fair to those who get their vehicles ready before getting in line.  At Bonneville (BUB), if you are in line when the starting line is closed for any reason, you get on the list for the next morning.  I don't think cones are considered being in line.

This is probably more of an issue at more centrally located events, and may be the norm, I don't know. But I think that if you're ready and can put your vehicle in line, fine, but if it's not ready, why allow it?  And Loring just might get more crowded in 2012, so I thought I should ask this question now.  Maybe there's justification for it, but I'd like to know what that may be.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
Re: Cones to mark places in line?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:06:58 PM »
I would not want to leave a vehicle overnight in line.
a cone would work for me.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:28:36 PM »
 I'm a cynic and at times expect the worst from people.I've been driven past on the way to the start line when groups of ten leave marshalling here at Lake Gairdner, been argued with about positions in line with het up hot heads who think they're the only people who spent a lot of money and a stupid amount of time to get ready for an event that has a bleak record recently and who's lines are long and slow.

My question with cones would be " how many are you allowed to have?" because as soon as that practice starts there'll be people putting two down, maybe three......got away with three, lets try four........

We had issues here with cars that had multiple drivers, the drivers thought they could mark their place in line, when the car came back around they'd be close to the front, while two other drivers were further down. Nope, not anymore.

The race vehicle is what is entered. If you want to race a cone bog in. If it's not ready it ain't ready, when it IS ready put it in line, then it ain't ready again until it arrives at the back of the line.....

We had a classic here a few years back when a competitors daughter took on the job of running the "chalkboard" which was the way the line was kept in order before we went to the current marshalling system. She rubbed the names off and moved them further up the line as they left the start. Eventually someone noticed that dad had been doing laps.......yep, she would add his name to the list minutes after he ran, and never at the end , always about half-way up. The next year some bright spark came up with the "slat-board" idea, you'd write your name on the slats which would drop down each time one was removed from the bottom, meant that pushing in was over, STILL some competitors managed to end up with their entry on two slats.......

That's what I never ever get about crooks, when do they get time to enjoy stuff if they're so busy scheming all the time?

I would not want to leave a vehicle overnight in line.
a cone would work for me.

We have a list written at the COB and that is the running order in the morning, that's pretty simple.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:38:23 PM »
Try putting a cone for your TF car in line when the J/SA cars are running at an NHRA event. Bet it don't stay there long.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »
Cones are used for bikes that require tire warmers. They are on the side of staging hooked up to a generator until the cone gets to the front of the line.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline RansomT

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:23:29 PM »
Cones are used for bikes that require tire warmers. They are on the side of staging hooked up to a generator until the cone gets to the front of the line.

and to add, it is solely a safety issue.  On the uber-high HP bikes, you have a much higher risk of chunking a tire on asphault when it's not up to an even temp.  It reeks havoc on the carcass if you start at 50F and accelerate to 250 mph within a mile.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:51:28 AM »
I'm aware of the cones in line to mark places for bikes with tire warmers which are placed up near the start line.  I was talking about cones being placed in line overnight to hold a good starting position for the next morning.  And I guess if you were closes enough to the entry point and wanted to warm your tires first thing in the morning, that might make sense.
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 06:59:56 AM »
If not a cone in line it at the prestage area it will be your vehicle in line.  To me there is no difference, and btw I don't even own a cone.  My bikes go in line in prestage.  Maybe it's me, but it seems like a non issue. 
Once Joe Daly organized the staging lanes Saturday afternoon and Sunday we moved well.  I, like some prefer a cap on entrants.  I believe the LTA has a plan to get us the max runs for Loring.  Looking forward to 2012.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »
If Joe Daly was in charge of the staging line I assure you it was being done fairly.  Joe is a no B.S. guy who will not show favoritism to anybody!!

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 06:18:10 PM »
If Joe Daly was in charge of the staging line I assure you it was being done fairly.  Joe is a no B.S. guy who will not show favoritism to anybody!!

+1
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »
You guys are making me blush ... the July Loring event has grown so quickly that there weren't enough experienced people to control the starting line and order was lost.     I was working motorcycle tech and the problem was brought to my attention by Charles Venable.  I went there and applied a similar procedure to how the ECTA runs the line at Maxton (Al Freitas).   All I did was bring order and everyone was extremely cooperative.    Tim Kelly asked the volunteers to stay in position until we ran everyone that was on line through and every volunteer stayed.  We ran until 7:30 but it ended up a good afternoon.   It is difficult to run an event with 140 entries but it can be done ...

Joe a

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 08:27:04 PM »
 All I did was bring order and everyone was extremely cooperative.    Tim Kelly asked the volunteers to stay in position until we ran everyone that was on line through and every volunteer stayed.  We ran until 7:30 but it ended up a good afternoon. 

I was in that line. the shutdown time kept getting pushed back.
430, 530, 630-- what lta and all the volunteers did was fantastic.
everyone in that line got to run.
thank you again, too all.

bill franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 09:23:23 PM »
Joe,  you and your Brother did a fine job after we got you re-tasked from inspections to the starting line.  Like wise when we diagnosed the problem and went into get-er-done mode, all other volunteers and the LTA staff also did well adapting ..so that Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday went GREAT.

I too agree that 120 to 150 entries is manageable,, with some staging line respect, good starting line crews and extending the run time till dusk also caught us up.  This is a lesson on how to handle large crowds.

I am glad I could help... but ,, Tim and Mark deserve the credit for being open and  listening as well as adapting in the throngs of a very busy and hectic time... WORKING TOGETHER is and was the Key..

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words.
Charles you are wrong though.  the volunteers deserve the credit.  All I did was sit on my A$$ for 2 days, well 2 1/2.
As for the heart of the matter.  What is being addressed is not the start line which worked well, but the overnight staging in the pits. 
For the record, I told people they could put a cone out if they did not feel comfortable leaving their bike out overnight.  But, they were told that the bike had to be ready to run.  What I observed Saturday evening was people packing up the trailer, putting away the bike, putting out a cone, and leaving.  I saw no issues.

I allowed the cones because the wind actually blew a couple of bikes over on Saturday so I wanted to protect people's gear.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline dw230

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 12:04:19 PM »
That sound fair. I would like that the bike replaces the cone in the AM. Don't just move the cone forward.
Totaly not allowed, the bike leaves the starting line and the cone is moved to some location in staging.

DW
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:06:24 PM by dw230 »
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth