Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818270 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #1590 on: November 29, 2017, 04:02:03 PM »
Nope.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #1591 on: November 29, 2017, 04:25:02 PM »
YEP!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1592 on: November 29, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
Works on my Windows machine.   8-)

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1593 on: November 29, 2017, 05:05:10 PM »
After a short delay, I get a black box with this text:

Unavailable

This video can't be embedded.

Watch on Facebook ยท Learn More

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1594 on: November 29, 2017, 05:07:11 PM »
I had to nudge it along a couple of times but I did get to the end which was a little before what I imagine is the end. That was fun to listen to and I've been on those programs. The most important thing you should have learned is complete all the work in the shop before you leave. It's never easier to complete the work at the race and getting there a day earlier doesn't mean anything if you can't perform.

That's a hard earned lesson that I've learned over several ugly experiences.

Good luck in your recoveries.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1595 on: November 29, 2017, 11:56:29 PM »
We pitted right next to Steve with Burton's liner. Like Steve, Burton & the guys had just run out of time to finish the liner at home so we spent the first four days finishing it on the salt & Goran had his Dieselmeken hands in that too before we were done. I knew some of Steve's dramas but we were pretty busy dealing with our own but Burton did manage to Two-Club it on the goat track.
The podcast played fine for me.
  Sid.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1596 on: November 30, 2017, 10:47:52 AM »
Glad to hear that at least "most" folks were able to see & hear the podcast.

Summary - we (I) made a plan that was a bit too ambitious for 2017, running out of time to get everything sorted and tested before Speed Week.

We had a great time and plenty of adventures at Speed Week.  Once there, we spent our time as wisely as we could, and had the best help available anywhere on the planet (I can't vouch for other planets).  We spent a lot of time wrenching, parts chasing, and testing.  It was a tremendously good time!

Ultimately, although we were very close to getting a new driver into the record book (I think 133 on a 135 record), we couldn't get that part of the plan done, and we did not have success with the other engine & trans combination, either.  We managed to make a lot of new friends, which cannot have a price put on it.

For 2018, we are going to maintain a singular focus, and put all efforts into achieving the goal of maximizing the performace of our G/DT effort.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1597 on: December 04, 2017, 04:24:49 PM »
All Righty then....  back to work on the Rampage, pulling the 2 liter engine apart to see what needs to be done for 2018.

Most of this Mercedes engine is pretty typical, although it does have a few particular "Mercedes" features, like this rotary camplate on the front of the injection pump drive sprocket:

In this case, the bad news is shown in the roller bearing follower that is driven by that camplate (this bearing looks BAD):

For those of you who might not know, MB is fond of chain drives and sliding tensioners:

The last sad picture for now is this milkshake which was drained out of the oil pan:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1598 on: December 13, 2017, 04:48:02 PM »
All righty then.... a little more disassembly took place, and I'm ready to drop off the block at AMT Racing engines for a thorough cleaining, magnaflux inspection, and having the deck of the block machined the absolute minimum amount to clean up the surface finish.

Rods and pistons are ready for another round in 2018.

I "think" the block is fine, except for the very rough surface finish on the top deck surface.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1599 on: January 09, 2018, 01:23:44 PM »
New adventures.... learning a few things about running this CNC mill (from someone who knows what they are doing), and making a torque plate for the OM604 block.

I'll drop the torque plate off at the "real" machine shop on Wednesday afternoon, so they can get to work on the 2018 version of the G/DT engine.  There are some other guys out there chasing this same record, so I really need to put my best foot forward in 2018.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1600 on: February 03, 2018, 07:44:03 PM »
Feeling good as progress is being made.....

The block has been decked, the cylinders have been straightened out, pistons have been sent out for high-tech coating, and the piston rings have been checked for fit.

Everything is looking good (much better than the non-flat, super rough deck, tapered bores, etc) from the original "machine work" performed by a previous shop.

The plan is to focus, focus, focus on this 2 liter effort for Bonneville this summer.

Steve.

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #1601 on: February 03, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »
I am in the same mode . Right after Nov. Elmo  the car came apart for upgrades . I run

I  am doing similar upgrades with the '40 bantam , I run T/O so whatever I do is good , car is to small to run Roadster class ..  You are running T/O anyway until you set a record  !!  I went from single 1 1/4"  SU carb to  2 , new 4/2/1 exhaust  with inner coating , divided siamese intake to divided  intake ports , freshened up valve job , new rings , belly pan from radiator to rear springs , would have gone further with more $$ .  Windscreen , inner moons on front , blocking radiator 70% at grille , a little more caster ,  made rod bearings and pistons a little slicker ..  STEVE :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1602 on: May 09, 2018, 02:22:23 PM »
Okey dokey....... :-D

Time to break out the wallet again, and start buying the required goodies to put this thing back together.

In all, I feel MUCH better about this engine after having it apart, having the deck surfaced, the bores honed, and going back together carefully.

I can almost smell the salt in the air.

Steve.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #1603 on: May 09, 2018, 04:27:53 PM »
The main cap bolts are an odd duck with full threads, are they a torque to yield one-timer?
  Sid.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1604 on: May 29, 2018, 04:46:35 PM »
Good eye on those bolts, Sid.  They are definitely an odd duck.  While not true "torque to yield", there is an overall length tolerance for them.  Mine were within spec, but after your comment, I decided that it was better to be safe than sorry.

A call to ARP to check availability of main studs with M11 x 1.5 pitch threads revealed a set intended for Chrysler 2.2L engines fit the bill.....

These studs will be nice insurance for peace of mind, if nothing else....

I've also been busy "going through" the head, lapping all the valves and giving all parts a good once-over.

Next up, a freshly rebuilt and tuned injection pump is on it's way from Sweden.....