Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818132 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #1410 on: May 19, 2016, 12:28:05 PM »
A quick update.....

With help from some friends, the engine has been removed from the Rampage.

After some wrenching, I got the engine dis-assembled to assess the damage.  Sadly, this piston will not be re-used.  I don't think the damage will "buff out".

Now, it's time to get the block to the machine shop to see what it will take to clean up the bores, then order pistons, bore & hone to size, etc., etc, etc. 

All she really needs is some TLC (time, and lotsa cash).

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1411 on: May 24, 2016, 10:46:57 AM »
Another quick update...

Before taking the block to AMT Racing engines (machine shop), I drilled "steam holes" in the 1.6TD block to match the coolant passages in the 1.9L cylinder head I'm using.  This is similar to the 400 SBC type cooling arrangement, but in reverse.  If my memory serves me, a 400 SBC has the holes in the block, but not all SBC heads have the holes drilled? 

Anyway, I drilled these "speed holes" in my block yesterday...

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1412 on: May 27, 2016, 08:08:20 PM »
Today, I dropped off the engine block, crankshaft, block girdle kit, and various tidbits at AMT Racing engines.

I'm in it to win it.

Steve.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1413 on: June 16, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »
It seems to me that it is well within your ability to

make a great mark on that record.

Go for it.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1414 on: June 18, 2016, 08:28:19 AM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Freud.  We hold the record now, but there are at least 3 additional, very capable teams chasing the same record.

Unfortunately, my stuff will not be back together in time for SpeedWeek '16, but I should be able to compete at World of Speed or possibly World Finals if WoS is a no-go.

The small-displacement diesel categories seem to be gaining in popularity as small diesel engines become more common, especially in the USA.  I think it's likely that more of the smaller displacement DT records will fall in the very near future.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1415 on: July 06, 2016, 01:34:21 PM »
Another quick update.

The engine block is at AMT Racing engines.  After inspection and test-honing, it was determined that I'd need to go to 1mm oversized pistons to allow the bore to clean up.  Since +1mm 1.5L pistons are complete unobtanium, that meant I'd be buying a set of custom connecting rods to work with a set of easily obtainable 1.6 Turbo Diesel pistons.

So, the money has been spent, and the needed parts have been received.  From Pauter Machine, I now have a set of custom connecting rods with 49mm big end, 24mm pin end, and 139.4mm center to center length...

These suckers are HEAVY DUTY.  They will be able to handle any amount of power that a small displacement VW diesel can tolerate.

To go along with the custom rods, I found a set of genuine OEM Kolbenschmidt "Turbo" pistons, which are notched for the oil squirters, and have an angled chamfer near the top of the piston, to allow for more localized heat on the top face....

All of the parts are now at AMT, awaiting their turn....

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1416 on: July 06, 2016, 01:43:30 PM »
Oh, yeah - I almost forgot.....

I also dropped off a bottom-end girdle and billet main caps at the machine shop.  The main caps fit under the girdle, then the girdle ties the main caps to the skirt of the block, all the way around.  Since we will be running 40+ pounds of boost this year, I really want to keep the bottom end solid.

We are on "Phase 2" of a 3 phase engine development program.  Melting a piston back in May was a setback for sure, but I think we will be ready to run again for World of Speed.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1417 on: August 01, 2016, 01:41:31 PM »
Just talked to the machine shop.  My block is on the hone, setting final bore size, then it needs to be align honed with the new billet main caps in place.

Keeping fingers crossed that the machine work will be done in the next few days, and then I'll have about 1 month to put it all back together and be ready for World of Speed.  I know of at least 3 other teams who will be running in H/DT - hopefully we can push the limits of the 1.5L diesel power a bit higher than before.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1418 on: August 18, 2016, 08:47:16 AM »
Another update....

The block is back from the machine shop.  The bores have been cleaned up and honed for new pistons.  The bottom end has been fitted for billet main caps and a girdle plate.

Pistons and rods are in-hand.....

The cylinder head is at TechTonics Tuning, being ported and assembled by one of the very best in the business, Collin Gyenes.

It will be a bit of a scramble to get it all put back together and ready for World of Speed, but that is what we are going to do.

There is a team currently chasing the H/DT record at Speed Week.  Going into SW, I thought they would most likely bump the record up a bit, but it seems like they may be having some issues getting up to speed.  I hope they get their setup working properly and can get the full performance out of it.

For my part, I plan to start with a conservative tune for WoS, and build carefully from a known baseline.  I don't want a repeat performance of The Ohio Mile in May....

That's all for now....

Steve

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #1419 on: August 18, 2016, 10:57:34 AM »
I forgot to ask before, are you running ice in your waic system? Greenspeed had issues with their pump this week, and saw over 500dg iat for a few seconds. Typical for them is 70dg.

Running regular water you should be under 150, but ice helps even more. If it's too cold it can put out low rpm, low boost fire, and cause rough Running. But that can be worked around with a switch to turn pump off till heat gets going.

Any reduction in temperature can prevent meltdown. Also, a lean diesel is a cooler diesel, increase in air density can pack more oxygen in the hole, resultng in a leaner condition.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1420 on: August 18, 2016, 03:29:59 PM »
All smiles here!  I just got a shout-out on the live feed from Bonneville from SSS and Ron Cristensen.

I'm listening while I sit at my desk.

Yes, my deal will be assembled and back on the salt for WoS.

Steve

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1421 on: August 18, 2016, 03:36:36 PM »
I forgot to ask before, are you running ice in your waic system? Greenspeed had issues with their pump this week, and saw over 500dg iat for a few seconds. Typical for them is 70dg.

Running regular water you should be under 150, but ice helps even more. If it's too cold it can put out low rpm, low boost fire, and cause rough Running. But that can be worked around with a switch to turn pump off till heat gets going.

Any reduction in temperature can prevent meltdown. Also, a lean diesel is a cooler diesel, increase in air density can pack more oxygen in the hole, resultng in a leaner condition.

Thanks for the input.  Yes, we typically use a couple of bags of ice and 2-3 gallons of water in our WAIC system (a Coleman cooler mounted in the bed of the truck).  It's circulated by a RULE bilge pump (forget which model right now).  The IC gets cold enough to have condensation literally dripping off it.

I also have a SNOW water "fogger" system between the IC and the intake.

My engine normally runs a little rough until it warms up anyway.  I typically don't turn on the circulation pump or the fogger system (with a pressure switch) until just before making a pass.

I'd like to add an IAT gauge before WoS, as I have no idea what I actually see in terms of intake temps.

My main plan is to dial back the fuel for some test runs, keeping an eye on the EGT's, then add fuel in small increments until EGT's get too high.  When the engine blows up, then I'll dial it back down a tad.   :-D

Steve.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1422 on: August 18, 2016, 03:47:36 PM »
Steve:

Sounds like the perfect Bonneville tune-up sequence. Start out at a conservative then tune until it sets a record or blows up. My friends tell me... "you have all year to fix  it"!

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1423 on: August 18, 2016, 04:20:17 PM »
Right you are.

I've been telling people "I don't want to blow it up on the first pass, but if I don't have a record near the end of the meet, I don't mind blowing it up then".

Steve

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #1424 on: August 18, 2016, 05:10:50 PM »
That sounds like a plan to stick to. I hope you get it all together and ready to go in time. I'll be rooting for you.