Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818203 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #1365 on: March 01, 2016, 09:02:46 AM »
Way to go Steve.
Thanks for uploading.
It's cool to put a face to the name. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1366 on: March 04, 2016, 09:49:35 AM »
Thank you very much.  I've been trying to shoot more video, trying to get better at editing, etc., with an eye towards doing more of a video blog for the "Build Diary".  If you like it, please subscribe to my YouTube channel.

I got the engine started for the first time since last fall.  It has a new transmission, shifter, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, trans mounts, etc.

There are now 4 VW starters in my garage.  Only one is the "right" type starter for this application.  The mix & match of parts on this truck are sometimes difficult to keep track of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-a8NI5Mgg0&feature=player_detailpage

Latest video -
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1367 on: March 09, 2016, 01:37:59 PM »
The latest update:

My friend Darrell and I spent an evening cleaning up the interior of the Rampage, then taking a good look at what it's going to take in order to link the VW 02A-based transmission to the Plymouth Acclaim drive hubs.  Anyone who has ever worked on a CV joint knows how filthy and nasty they are inside.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRvp1L9NWhw

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1368 on: March 09, 2016, 02:14:53 PM »
Nice progress, Steve.

If you do weld those two axles together, I'd suggest cutting the sleeve ends at a diagonal or use a "fish mouth" cut. This distributes the torsional stress over a larger area. A circular weld concentrates the stress at the weld.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1369 on: March 09, 2016, 02:55:35 PM »
Good thinking on the fish mouth cuts.  :cheers:

It just so happens that I have the tooling to make cuts like that.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1370 on: March 09, 2016, 03:41:01 PM »
Trying to stay busy, we removed the seat, belts, window net, steering column, and some other tidbits, in preparation for rust remediation....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c63ss9Vyn0

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1371 on: March 09, 2016, 04:40:36 PM »
One more video for now - Rattle Can Restoration of the firewall and inner fender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6AYLiSeZh4

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1372 on: March 09, 2016, 06:14:45 PM »
Steve,
Once you have determined the shaft length then make the sleeve that you are going to connect the two shafts with ,003-.005 smaller than the shaft's OD and heat the sleeve and freeze the shafts and then and shrink on the two shafts together  then TIG the diagonal joint. This does several things, it insures exact alignment of the two mating shafts (at least as close as your lathe can turn the shafts and sleeve) plus the shrink fit will greatly increase the torque capacity of the fabricated shaft. You won't depend completely on the TIG weld for carrying the torque load.
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1373 on: March 10, 2016, 12:39:52 AM »
Rex..............You are a jewel.

Your knowledge is so relative and the guidance is

beyond description.

Target 550 trusts your judgement.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1374 on: March 10, 2016, 08:50:03 AM »
Rex and Freud - excellent advice all around.  I may make 2 sleeves - one for mockup to determine the exact "best" overall length.  This sleeve would be slightly oversized to allow a telescopic-type adjustment.

The second, and permananent sleeve, would be a shrink-fit as described above. 

I am very fortunate to work in a facility with qualified machinists and some heat treatment capabilities.  This will be work for our CNC guy.  I can do rough cuts on our manual lathe, but the ability of that lathe to hold tolerance, and my ability to operate it effectively, are far from ideal.

What do you guys think about pinning the sleeve to the shafts in addition to the shrink and weld?  In my own mind, I have gone back and forth on that topic.

Steve.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1375 on: March 10, 2016, 09:10:06 AM »

What do you guys think about pinning the sleeve to the shafts in addition to the shrink and weld?  In my own mind, I have gone back and forth on that topic.

Steve.

No likey.    GIANT stress risers, potential failure point.    Those axles are just "torsion bars" and the welded section will not "twist" at the same rate as the rest of the shaft, raising the stress on the remainder of the shaft, concentrating the stresses on the welds.    We used to weld things to anti-roll bars to stiffen them, and it was a "wild ride" when they broke . . . . . . .  always at the weld . . . . .

Steve, what are the consequences if this welded shaft fails in service?    Is there the potential for catastrophic damage?    To the car?   The driver?

Wouldn't a purpose made axle be a better choice?

Maybe I'm way off here, as I don't follow your build that closely.    BUT, I am a safety first guy.    I've lost too many friends to "stupid sh*t.

Just my 2ยข

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1376 on: March 10, 2016, 09:11:42 AM »
Steve -

WOW - thanks for pushing on getting this site to do video links more readily.

This thread is now the Cannes Film Festival of LSR.

I'm liking it.  
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #1377 on: March 10, 2016, 10:30:21 AM »
I'm not a machinist but I stayed at a Holiday Inn once. I don't think it would be that expensive to make a new axle out of the right material, the right length, with the right ends, especially since you have access to machining and heat treat. Do what you're thinking to get the proper length, then make new = much safer.

YMMV
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1378 on: March 10, 2016, 11:45:48 AM »
Those are all good ideas. 

My first chore is to get a mock-up made to verify the correct working length of the shaft for this application.

After that, I'll have some decisions to make.  In the meantime, I'll research custom FWD axles.

Our shop "may" be able to do it, but we don't have a good way to spline shafts.

Steve.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #1379 on: March 10, 2016, 11:55:03 AM »
Steve -

WOW - thanks for pushing on getting this site to do video links more readily.

This thread is now the Cannes Film Festival of LSR.

I'm liking it.  

New ideas and great input from most of the members is what makes LR.com so impressive :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20