Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818229 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #1335 on: October 29, 2015, 04:42:28 PM »
Yes, all the balls falling out is a bad thing.  One of the "rites of passage" for service technicians in our manufacturing plant is to run a nut off the end of a ball-screw shaft.  I think that every service tech we've ever hired has performed that task at least once.  Most of them have ONLY done it once.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1336 on: October 29, 2015, 04:45:15 PM »
Sorry no digital camera . Mine are on my tow dolly that raises to work on the streamliner and raises a little more to roll it in the level trailer . The ball nut pushed down against the inner telescoping tube and the ball screw pushes up against a McMaster ball thrust bearing and conical washers in the top the fixed tube . Mine raises about a 1/4" per turn with moderate force as it lifts 1200# . As I said a failsafe anti wind down latch is important . It should have a stop so the screw can't screw out of the nut and have all the balls fall out .

I'm still having a hard time visualizing.  Are you putting the eBay ballscrew inside the telescopic housing normally used in a tongue jack?

Offline John Burk

« Reply #1337 on: October 29, 2015, 11:13:08 PM »
The ball nut mounts near the top of the lower tube . The shoulder of the ball screw sticks out through the plate on top of outer tube with a ball thrust bearing between the shoulder and the plate . It's hard to be more specific without knowing the tube and ball nut sizes . Ball nuts need to be aligned with the screw so I used what McMaster lists as alignment washers . McMaster and Ebay has everything .

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1338 on: October 30, 2015, 01:22:01 PM »
The ball nut mounts near the top of the lower tube . The shoulder of the ball screw sticks out through the plate on top of outer tube with a ball thrust bearing between the shoulder and the plate . It's hard to be more specific without knowing the tube and ball nut sizes . Ball nuts need to be aligned with the screw so I used what McMaster lists as alignment washers . McMaster and Ebay has everything .

OK - thanks again.  Sorry if it seems like I'm asking too many questions, but I'm very curious about this setup.   Without a photo, drawing or sketch, words will have to suffice.  The length of ball screw used, diameter, thrust capacity, etc would all be very helpful.  There are plenty of cheap ball screw assemblies on Ebay, but I would prefer to only buy once, in the size range that has been proven to work.

Did you weld the ball nut into the lower (inner) tube?  Mount a handle on the top of the shaft, just like a "regular" trailer jack?

Steve.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1340 on: October 30, 2015, 05:51:53 PM »
Boy, Slim, you're still getting old if you don't enjoy getting up by hand anymore.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1341 on: November 03, 2015, 08:37:46 AM »
Changing subjects slightly.... :-D

I'm moving forward on multiple fronts.  Later this week, I'll take delivery of the final bits needed to install the new 5-speed trans, flywheel, pressure plate, etc. for the 1.5L engine.  Call me crazy if you'd like, but I think this combination has the potential to see 150 mph in the Rampage with some additional development.  I'm currently moving into "Phase 2" of a 3 phase plan to go faster with the 1.5L engine installed.

Moving up in displacement, Phase 1 of the 2-liter effort is coming together, albeit slowly.  One of the major hurdles has been overcome, however. 

You are looking at what's likely to be the only Mercedes OM604 block mated to a SAAB F-40 6 speed transmission that you are likely to see all day.  As far as I can tell, it may be the only such combination on the planet.

Thanks to my friend Fred Sundstrom at F-Tune performance in Sweden, we will have an engine and transmission combo worthy of chasing a record in the G/DT class.   Combined with a "SuperStroker" diesel pump from Goran Lindgren at Dieselmeken AB, also in Sweden, and a hybrid turbo from Petter Lonning (Alcaid) in Norway, we should be making a solid 400+HP from the engine.  With a little good fortune, we will put this combination over 175 mph (needing new race tires and a parachute along the way).

This is exciting stuff.  I'm fighting hard to keep my mind focused on "Sticking to the plan" for both classes. 

Have a good day.

Steve.

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #1342 on: November 03, 2015, 09:32:39 AM »
 :cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1343 on: November 03, 2015, 10:16:24 AM »
Keep at it Steve. :wink: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1344 on: November 03, 2015, 10:41:05 AM »
Thanks for the support, guys.  I just need to stick to my plan and try to keep my focus on executing the plan as properly as possible.

I'm hoping to run at Ohio, Bonneville, and possibly in Colorado in 2016.

Steve.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1345 on: November 03, 2015, 07:34:55 PM »
I see no major obstacles.
Maybe you haven't noticed but you're a pretty determined dude!!!!.

All the success Steve. Way to go man. :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1346 on: November 04, 2015, 10:29:31 AM »

You are looking at what's likely to be the only Mercedes OM604 block mated to a SAAB F-40 6 speed transmission that you are likely to see all day.  As far as I can tell, it may be the only such combination on the planet.

What, JC Whitney doesn't make an adapter?  :wink:

Welcome to the world of intermingling of species.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1347 on: November 04, 2015, 01:01:41 PM »

What, JC Whitney doesn't make an adapter?  :wink:

Welcome to the world of intermingling of species.  :cheers:

Intermingling for sure.  Here's where the "magic" transformation is made...

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1348 on: November 05, 2015, 09:57:09 AM »
One more piece of the puzzle arrived today.  I realize it may be difficult for those of you who are reading this, as there are essentially two "Parallel Projects" going on here.  Sometimes I have trouble keeping track of the various bits and pieces myself.

I now have what is considered to be the "best" OEM shifter, cable, and shift tower setup for modified VW 02A transmission which will be used with the 1.5L engine (H/DT class).  This shifter is from a later model 02J transmission.  It can only be used on an 02A with the correct Shift Tower, which is the part on the right side of the photo.  The photo was taken on the somewhat dirty floor of my office.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1349 on: November 20, 2015, 05:08:36 PM »
"Shifting Gears", so to speak - the 2 liter engine is coming together.

Good news - the engine rotates without coming to any hard "stops" (i.e. valves and pistons hitting one another).  That's a good start.

Steve.