Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818060 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #1290 on: May 27, 2015, 11:26:05 AM »
Into a "mild scramble" mode to get ready for The Ohio Mile.  New turbo, 3" exhaust, bigger injection pump fed by a bigger electric "pusher" pump, as well as a few minor tweaks to make the whole package of race truck and trailer work better are under way.

Here are a few pics to show some work....

3" exhaust.  It's complete now, but I didn't take many pics.  While 3" may seem like overkill for a 1.5L turbodiesel, the "next" engine, and possibly the "next" one after that will be able to take advantage of the free breathing.

This is the new HE200WG turbo, after porting the exhaust housing (basically gasket matching), re-clocking the oil drain and compressor housing, and adding a bracket to re-locate the wastegate actuator.  This turbo should be an excellent match for the higher capacity injection pump, and will support more power in the future.

one last pic, just because garage selfies are fun, and to let any of you recognize me if you are in attendance at The Ohio Mile in June.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1291 on: June 08, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »
Just a quick update after the Ohio Mile (weekend of June 6-7). 

We managed to bump our own record in H/DT from 123.xx mph to 135.6 mph, running on "low" boost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Hn--X847Q

Then, one of my team members made his rookie pass, running 128.xx mph, while shooting for 125 +/- 5 mph....

Camera view out the back of the cabin - lots of smoke, and signs that the clutch was slipping....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAXMhwud9us

One last pass, with the boost turned up (40 psi max).  On this run, the boost elbow blew off the turbocharger in 4th gear. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaU-98yAMeo

I'm happy to report that we brought home 2 records - bumping our own H/DT, then putting Darrell Hake in the book by changing classes to E/DT (an open record at Ohio).

There is more potential in this setup, but we are going to need a new clutch, and a new outlet adapter for the cold side of the turbo.

We are planning to go back to Ohio in September, with the goal of bumping both records again.

Steve.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1292 on: June 08, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »
Good going Steve, with any luck we'll see you in September,  with our tee shirts on...
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1293 on: June 10, 2015, 10:42:01 AM »
Thanks, Cap'n.  It was a pleasure to meet you - sorry we didn't have more time to visit and chat.

After giving it some more thought after last weekend, I am now committed to changing not only the clutch setup in my truck, but the transmission as well.  By the time I spent enough money on a serious clutch for my small-shaft 4-speed, I would have been a long way down the road to a heavier-duty 6-speed conversion.

I'm going on the record now as saying that we will be running a 6-speed trans and heavier clutch the next time we travel down the Ohio Mile.  It will be a bit of a scramble to pull it off this summer, but where there's a will, there's a way.

I'll be seeing you in September, and will have 2 extra gears, and a fully functional clutch by then.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1294 on: July 06, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »
Had a bit of a setback over the weekend.

My car trailer was stolen from a locked parking lot behind our manufacturing plant. 

Steve

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1295 on: July 06, 2015, 04:00:43 PM »
whata bummer hope to hellover it was EMPTY
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1296 on: July 06, 2015, 05:12:27 PM »
Yeah - it's an open trailer, but a friend and I had recently stripped it down, painted the whole trailer, new boards, new wiring, LED lights, etc.

Brand new white "spoker" wheels and brand new E rated tires.

I'm not holding out a whole lot of hope to get it back, but there's always a chance.

Steve.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1297 on: July 06, 2015, 05:55:29 PM »
Sorry to hear the news Steve.

St. Anthony is the patron Saint of lost property so just ask him.

You'll get your trailer back. :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #1298 on: July 06, 2015, 07:06:37 PM »
Scum bags like that need to be drug out in the street and beaten in front of their children.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1299 on: July 06, 2015, 09:30:14 PM »
Steve:

I am sorry to hear that. I have had my axles  and wheels stolen.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1300 on: July 07, 2015, 06:52:54 AM »
Steve,

Sorry to hear it.   Hope the Police can get it returned.

:cheers:
F/B
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1301 on: July 07, 2015, 08:56:31 AM »
Police are talking to the owners of the lawn service company who takes care of our industrial property. 

Not too many people would even know the trailer was back there ( a back lot behind an industrial building, behind an 8' tall locked fence).

Good news is that there was a fresh cigarette butt laying right where the passenger's side door of a pickup would be when hooking up to the trailer.  We just had the lot re-sealed, so a fresh butt stuck out like a sore thumb.  Police submitted the butt for DNA testing, believe it or not.

If the smoker/theif has a criminal history (he most likely would), we might just get lucky with a match.  Should take a couple of months for the DNA testing, however.

I'll remain hopeful, but will start looking for a new trailer in the mean time.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1302 on: July 18, 2015, 10:05:27 AM »
That sucks. We have had several things stolen from our plant.................they even too the small gas grill we keep behindthe office!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #1303 on: July 18, 2015, 11:11:37 AM »
Steve,

In my experience, crimes like this are "crimes of opportunity" or "crimes of information" or both.  The police know this and will concentrate their efforts on who knew the trailer was there.

I realize this doesn't help you out.   All you can do is to be more vigilant about your stuff in the future.   And I also realize that even if you take measures to undermine theft, a determined thief can take your stuff in spite of any precautions you might take.    Just makes you love humanity, doesn't it?

Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1304 on: July 24, 2015, 10:20:36 AM »
In the future, I will take some additional measures to slow any potential thieves down, and will have a dedicated insurance policy for the trailer, as well.

For now, I am planning to attend The Texas Mile in October.  I picked up a top secret transmission on Wednesday evening, along with the shifter, cables, flywheel, etc. needed to make it work.

Actually, the transmission itself isn't all that secret, but the gearing inside has been selected to match my 1.5L engine as well as I could possibly configure.

My hope is to run on the high side of 140 mph through the traps at The Texas Mile.  Bonneville will have to wait until 2016.

Steve.