Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818074 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #1275 on: March 11, 2015, 10:45:53 AM »
Update with respect to the Mopar Performance headlight covers.

I found 2 sets for sale semi-locally, but they are for the 1983 and previous front bumper.  The 1984 front bumper (like I have) uses 4 headlights, whereas the '83 and prior uses 2 headlights only.  There is also a difference in the hoods between generations. The correct hood has to be used with the matching front bumper.

I am now bouncing the possibility around in my head about switching front bumpers to the '83 and prior style in order to utilize the MP headlight covers. 

I know it's relatively common in the Camaro world to change the effective model year of the body by changing bumpers and trim, but need to do some deeper research to determine if there are any other differences.

I think that everything else is the same, but need to confirm.  Back in the early/mid 80's, I don't think that Chrysler did much (if any) sheet metal updates to the Rampage (or anything else they were producing).

Steve.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1276 on: March 11, 2015, 12:01:02 PM »
I'm learning more and more about the "ins and outs" of sheet metal differences on the Charger/Turismo/Rampage/Scamp.

As you may or may not know, there are 2-headlight versions of these vehicles.  There are also 4-headlight versions which started with the '84 model year (except for the Shelby Chargers, which retained the 2-headlight front end until the end of their production in '87).

Anyway, there was also a slight change at some point to the area at the top of the fender, where it meets the cowl.  Gregg Adams tipped me off to this difference, but I never knew the details and hadn't seen it firsthand.

I still haven'e seen it firsthand, but I just learned that at some point in the '83 model year, this change to the fender and cowl fitment was adopted, while Mopar was still using the 2-headlight front end.

The "updated" fender & cowl then continued through the '84 and subsequent years, although I'm not sure if it was used on the Shelby versions.

In any event, I now believe that if I swap a mid-year '83 nose section onto my Rampage, it would be "correct" in terms of factory sheet metal as a Rampage would have been delivered in 1983, in terms of all the front sheet metal and nose cone section.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1277 on: March 20, 2015, 08:56:05 AM »
I have to share my excitement about the following:

One of my sponsors - "Hardy's Hot Rods" has hand-crafted this fantastic likeness of my Rampage, in a Bonneville themed case, based on a Hot Wheels truck.

This thing is completely fantastic!!!

Steve

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1278 on: March 20, 2015, 09:32:26 AM »
Steve, that is awesome! What a really special piece. It's only a very few get their projects replicated in a model, especially one so nicely detailed. The person who did it is rather talented as well.

Pete

Offline Freud

« Reply #1279 on: March 21, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »
One specialty item like that model make the entire project satisfying.

Beside that You overhauled the record.

Might be hard not to quit when You are SO FAR AHEAD.

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!

Now it's  a Can You Top This deal.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1280 on: April 01, 2015, 12:10:14 PM »
...back to the full-scale parts....

The custom ground camshafts have been delivered to the engine builder.  These might be the only custom ground OM604 camshafts you see all day.

Steve

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1281 on: April 01, 2015, 12:22:16 PM »
as well as OM604 pistons & rods.

Lots of custom stuff here.  OM606 pistons with valve reliefs milled deeper to match the cam & valvetrain, ceramic coating, and forged H-beam rods.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1282 on: April 01, 2015, 11:37:05 PM »
All good stuff Steve.

Great to see the updates and wish you only the best.

God Bless. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1283 on: April 16, 2015, 03:28:42 PM »
Just a quick update - new injection pump has been installed.  It is capable of delivering almost twice as much fuel as I had with the previous pump.  It's turned "down" for now, but can be easily adjusted for more fuel.

Here's a short video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0QcsrObF9o

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1284 on: April 17, 2015, 10:24:13 AM »
Another update, this time for the G-class engine.

Mercedes OM604 (16Valve) cylinder head with custom cams, springs, and all the stuff needed to make them work....

Steve

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #1285 on: April 17, 2015, 10:40:15 AM »
Nice video Steve! I can't wait to hoon my car around the neighborhood!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1286 on: April 17, 2015, 11:15:11 AM »
...and mine is "letter of the law" street legal.. :-o

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #1287 on: April 17, 2015, 02:25:19 PM »
Mine is... not so much.  :evil:  :-D
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1288 on: May 20, 2015, 11:56:35 AM »
OK - getting into "Crunch Time" mode for The Ohio mile on the weekend of June 6th and 7th.

Firstly - I needed to go through the brakes, as last year's visit to Bonneville did not do the brake system any favors.  :-D

Secondly - it's time for the new turbo (Holset HE200WG to be installed)....

And thirdly, I am fabbing a new exhaust system to go along with the new turbo.  3" diameter all the way back... (cup of coffee and a Pop Tart to show the scale of the exhaust plumbing).

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1289 on: May 20, 2015, 11:57:45 AM »
Still to come before Ohio - a new, higher volume electric fuel pump to feed the larger injection pump, and updating the sponsorship logos & decals.

Steve.