Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818173 times)

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #1230 on: September 24, 2014, 06:52:25 PM »
He he he he he hooked. :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #1231 on: September 24, 2014, 07:06:08 PM »
Outstanding sir!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Can't wait to see what's next!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #1232 on: September 24, 2014, 09:51:07 PM »
Hmmm a sideways om606? Ina fwd configuration?   Loverly!
Or an om605, the 5 cyl version of the 606, the guys from blacksmoke racing have made a direct injected version, and are making tons of power on the idi.

I still think your tiny 1.5 is capable of adding 50% more power with a larger set of turbos ( or a large one on top of your little one) and a more ideal exhaust manifold. Plus fuel. 

If you manage to keep power in the upper rpm range, you will shift torque as well and not murder rods and head gaskets and precups with insane low rpm cylinder pressure.

Perhaps a bosch p7100 p pump, or an a pump? Tweaking them to over 500cc fuel is pretty easy and will fuel everything you need.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1233 on: September 25, 2014, 08:05:11 AM »
Here's a list of ways I'm thinking about to build an engine for the G/DT class:

VW 1.9 TDI
VW 1.6 IDI
custom VW options - VW 2.0 gasser blocks (9A or ABA) with Ford of Europe diesel pistons, gasser cranks, TDI rods, etc.
De-stroked Mercedes OM601 (like from a 190D 2.2) with a Euro 2.0L crank.  I don't think a sideways 606 or 605 will work due to the length.

I already have parts for many of these options. 

There is definitely room for improvement with the 1.5 setup (more fuel, more boost, better flow through the head, gearing, tires....)

Anyway, I'll be noodling on this and slowly collecting the needed parts.

Steve.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1234 on: October 28, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »
Just a quick update - I have recently fallen in love with 2 different transmission options for future trips to the salt.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1235 on: January 22, 2015, 10:54:52 AM »
OK - time for some updates and to get back to work on the truck.

I now have 2 "full partners" on the race team.  It's taken a while to work out the details, but we have some excellent sponsors, and solid funding.

The new team name is King, Hake, and Menendez, LLC. (Ken King, Darrell Hake, and Steve Menendez) I like the sound of a 3-name team, kind of like Stone, Woods, and Cook.

We have secured a fantastic amount of technical expertise and willingness to help from 2 Swedish companies, and one in Norway.  We are proceeding with an upgrade to the 1.5L engine and trans.  We are simultaneously building a new engine to chase the G/DT record.  The new engine will be based on a 16Valve, 4 cylinder Mercedes diesel, transferring power through a 6-speed transaxle.

For the 1.5L engine, Goran Lindgren of Dieselmeken AB (Aneby, Sweden) is building us a new, higher output injection pump which will support more power than we hope to make in the short term.  We will be aiming for the low 200's in terms of Horsepower for 2015 and beyond.  If we get around to beefing up the engine internals, we may aim higher and with compound turbos.

With the 1.5L (H/DT), we plan to run at The Ohio Mile in either May or June of 2015, attempting to bump the H/DT record at Wilmington.

Fred Sundstrom of F-Tune Performance in Ronneby, Sweden is working on our 2 liter engine, which we plan to bring to the salt in 2016.  This will be a de-stroked and sleeved Mercedes OM604 engine, capable of making more power than I care to talk about right now.  (We are planning to need a parachute with this setup)  The power will be transferred though a 6-speed transaxle.  The injection pump will once again be provided by Goran Lindgren at Dieselmeken AB.

Petter Lonning (Alcaid) of Stavanger, Norway is supplying the turbochargers and related plumbing for both engines.

We have tapped the true "Cream of the Crop" in terms of high-performance small diesel guys in the form of Fred, Goran, and Petter.  I am extremely fortunate to have all of their help.

The 2-liter drivetrain will require quite a bit of fabrication to work in the existing Rampage chassis.  Most of that work is planned for the period after The Ohio Mile and before the salt flat season of 2016.  

I'm excited to get back to work on this.  My credit card has almost recovered from last year, and we have a pretty solid plan laid out for the next 2 seasons.

Steve.

Offline BHR301

« Reply #1236 on: January 22, 2015, 12:04:58 PM »
Good luck.

Bill

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1237 on: January 22, 2015, 12:23:51 PM »
Wow, that's exciting news Steve. Good luck!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1238 on: January 22, 2015, 12:31:31 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I have been overwhelmed by the support I've received from Sweden and Norway in particular.  Those guys are really into high-performance diesel automobiles. 

Here in the USA, most of the high-po diesel stuff is for engines that we would commonly have in 3/4 ton and up pickup trucks.  They don't really have that market over there, but they do have a lot of BMW, Mercedes, VW, SEAT, SKODA, Audi, etc. diesel cars that we never have an opportunity to own here in the US.

Combining that support with 2 ready, willing, and able partners (with some disposable income) in the St Louis area, I am feeling very positive about the prospects.

Steve.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #1239 on: January 22, 2015, 12:54:14 PM »
Outstanding Steve!

I am personally excited about any type of engine that is possible of making power numbers that are unheard of. It continues to amaze me the amount of HP/L that is possible with some of these smaller engines, add to that the fact that it'll be running on fuel oil and it's just weird enough for me to be behind it 100%

Looking forward to seeing some of the cool stuff you guys now have coming down the pipe!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1240 on: January 22, 2015, 01:13:29 PM »
Speaking of which, I just received a package of goodness all the way from Aneby, Sweden.

This box contains an injection pump put together from at least 3 different vehicles, none of which were ever imported to the USA.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1241 on: January 22, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
A peek inside the box!  :-o

This is quite likely the only injection pump of its kind within the USA borders.  11mm elements at 2.8mm lift.  170cc's maximum fuel delivery at 6,000 rpms.  (My current pump maxxes out at 90cc's).

To go along with the party atmosphere, Goran included a selection of Swedish candies which I will enjoy while working on this project.

Also included are a variety of "Performance by Dieselmeken" decals for the truck.

If any of you guys need injection pump work done, there is no one better on the planet than the Dieselmeken.  Check his Youtube channel....

https://www.youtube.com/user/dieselmeken

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1242 on: January 22, 2015, 05:57:42 PM »
Sweet Steve, hope you settle on june for Ohio as we'll be there trying to get Amy and Angela Brenner up to about 185.0 and stomp on some records. :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1243 on: January 23, 2015, 08:28:48 AM »
I think that June is the most likely date.  May is the Hot Rod meet, and I think we'd be better off avoiding the crowds associated with that event.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1244 on: January 23, 2015, 09:45:39 AM »
More "teaser" pics.  This time, a customized & ceramic coated set of pistons for a de-stroked and sleeved Mercedes OM604.  You don't find these laying around any junkyards in the USA (or anywhere, for that matter).