Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818086 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #1155 on: August 04, 2014, 09:24:05 AM »
See you there!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1156 on: August 04, 2014, 02:12:27 PM »
I have to extend major thanks to Buddy (FlatCad) for loaning me a water injection system to use at Bonneville.  I'm hoping that proper use of the water injection will keep my EGT's in check, and keep my mind a little more at ease when peeking down at the EGT gauge.

On the first couple of runs in Ohio, I actually "pegged" the EGT gauge.  That was not a good feeling.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline t russell

« Reply #1157 on: August 04, 2014, 09:15:50 PM »
good luck

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1158 on: August 06, 2014, 08:46:37 AM »
Thanks for the good wishes.

...loaded up and ready to roll....

See you all on the salt!

Steve.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1159 on: August 06, 2014, 10:22:27 AM »
You run a tight ship.
You're already a pro. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I'm excited for you Steve, have a great time.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1160 on: August 06, 2014, 11:04:49 AM »
I've been dreaming about this for about 35 years.  Crossing the boundary between "dream" and "reality" has meant a lot of TLC  (Time and Lotsa Cash).  The rest is just nuts, bolts, and various parts. 

I've had a lot of excellent help and solid support along the way.

Having a supportive wife and family has made it possible to get this far.

I can't wait to step onto the hallowed ground of the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Steve.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #1161 on: August 06, 2014, 12:22:33 PM »
Steve
If you think you are wonderfully "hooked" now, wait till your first successful pass on the salt.  You will become a SALT JUNKY like the rest of us that have been going for any number of years.
After following what you have done and are about to do, it is pretty obvious that racing on the salt is not just a bucket list item. 
ENJOY, and savor the results of your efforts.

All my best wishes for a great week.

Rick

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1162 on: August 06, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »
Rick:

It's definitely not a "bucket list" item, but more like the high point (so far) of my adult and semi-adult life spent messing around with things that have engines and/or wheels. 

Those of us on this forum are all in the same lifestyle.  Something like building and racing a land speed vehicle is as much of a labor of love for me as it is to have the finished vehicle.  Being able to get out in the garage and work on the machine, while spending a large part of my mind's free energy thinking about the project when I'm not actually working on it, is almost always a pleasure.

Setting foot on the Mecca of Speed in a couple day's time will start the next chapter.

Steve.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1163 on: August 06, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »
Steve:

It took me 42 years to get there the first time. Now I cannot wait to get back. It is true hallowed ground to a racer.

My advice, make sure to remind your crew which side of the course the return road is on. After making all your rookie runs on course 4 the return road is on a different side on the other courses. One of our friends forgot and got the talk from Mr. Kennedy.

Laslty, you have a nice trailer. Be sure to put a blue tarp down on the floor when you pull you car in and for the ride home. I would roll it up on the edges to make it catch the moisture. The salt will shake out and by the time you get home the truck will be dripping with salty moisture which will eat your trailer up.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1164 on: August 06, 2014, 05:19:07 PM »
Good call on tarping the inside of the trailer!

Steve

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1165 on: August 06, 2014, 06:33:51 PM »
Turn-Out is the same on 2 as it is on 4.  You just gotta remember where you're at.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #1166 on: August 06, 2014, 08:09:21 PM »
Most blue tarps are porous.  Use plastic sheeting that is wide enough to go across the floor and partway up the sides--tape in place.  Also go all the way to the front so what you track in on your feet won't be an issue or a continual concern.  Good to do the tailgate as well.  And, as mentioned elsewhere on the site, the floors of the tow vehicle.  It's a pain, but not as much as having to clean up after not doing it.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1167 on: August 06, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »
Most blue tarps are porous.  Use plastic sheeting that is wide enough to go across the floor and partway up the sides--tape in place.  Also go all the way to the front so what you track in on your feet won't be an issue or a continual concern.  Good to do the tailgate as well.  And, as mentioned elsewhere on the site, the floors of the tow vehicle.  It's a pain, but not as much as having to clean up after not doing it.

IO

You are correct, a roll of painters plastic from the Depot would work great. Our trailer in 2011 had diamond plate floor we had to drill out all the rivets. pull the floor up to neutralize the corrosion in the floor. I sold it but it was never going to be the same. My new trailer I think I will LINEeX the floor and about 24" up the walls. It might be ugly and heavy but should help the trailer last.

Steve:

Check the SCTA facebook page there is an update you should read.
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1168 on: August 06, 2014, 11:30:30 PM »
I have a 10x100 roll of heavy gauge clear plastic and plenty of tape.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1169 on: August 06, 2014, 11:30:50 PM »
Rain, rain, go away!