Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818204 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #1095 on: June 09, 2014, 05:11:35 PM »
Steve -

Runs like a watch!

One concern.  Maybe it's an optical illusion, but it looks like your steering wheel hub is kind of loose on the steering shaft.  Stan Johnson got a warning at Bonneville for a similar issue, so best to catch it in Missouri than Utah.

Other than that, congratulations!

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline t russell

« Reply #1096 on: June 09, 2014, 09:26:12 PM »
great to speak to you in line great truck

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1097 on: June 09, 2014, 09:30:40 PM »
Hate I missed that Steve. Truthfully I am sure most everyone thought your run were epic. Go show them how it's done at speedweek. :cheers: :cheers: Now if we can get Gregg "up to speed".
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1098 on: June 10, 2014, 12:08:28 AM »
Now if we can get Gregg "up to speed".

I expect Gregg has had a renewed enthusiasm after this last weekend. 

His new K-member should have arrived - let's egg him on a bit.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1099 on: June 10, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
Chris:
    I think Gregg has the fever, for sure.  We can just add fuel to the fire.

With respect to the steering hub, I'll try to take a short movie to show the fitment.  I think it's typical of the hex-type setups.  Mechanically, it's solid, but does have some wiggle room.  I think I have some ways to minimize the movement.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #1100 on: June 10, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »
Chris:
    I think Gregg has the fever, for sure.  We can just add fuel to the fire.

With respect to the steering hub, I'll try to take a short movie to show the fitment.  I think it's typical of the hex-type setups.  Mechanically, it's solid, but does have some wiggle room.  I think I have some ways to minimize the movement.

Steve.

Taking a break from the garage, YEAH!

As for the steering hub, that's why I ditched the hex on mine and went with spline.....No movement at all!

Gregg

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1101 on: June 10, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »
Steve;

I've used both hex and spline quick-release steering wheel hubs and I agree that the hex design does have an annoying amount of play. On one car I tapped the hub for a 1/4-28 setscrew to tighten it up just short of locking it on. It helped but the Mark Williams spline that I'm using on my black Mirage is a far nicer solution. It is more expensive but when you're travelling fast, it feels better to have a more positive steering input.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #1102 on: June 12, 2014, 02:50:40 PM »
Awesome Steve! That's gotta be a great feeling! Congrats!!  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1103 on: June 12, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »
I am very happy with the way the Rampage ran at Ohio, and was probably even more happy with the reception we got there.  It was me, my Crew Chief, my son, and another semi-Crew Chief.

I was amazed at how many people complimented the Rampage, saying that they had followed the build online, and that they were impressed with the quality of it.

From my standpoint, the vehicle is nothing special, just a collection of parts to run in a certain class.  Something about it must have caught people's fancy, though, because it was very well received.

I have a few things to work on before Bonneville SpeedWeek, but feel pretty good about our chances to be competitive against the SCTA record.  I can't take anything for granted, just want to put my best foot forward and be competitive.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1104 on: June 12, 2014, 03:49:38 PM »
Then again, maybe it was the diesel fumes that affected everyone.  :-D

#672 H/DT was the only compression ignition engine racing at Ohio, so we had to send a crew member back into town to buy some "event diesel". :cheers:

Steve.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1105 on: June 12, 2014, 08:22:41 PM »
Steve:

Great job.

As for Bonneville, take everything you think you will need so you will not need it. 

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1106 on: June 14, 2014, 10:59:59 AM »
From my standpoint, the vehicle is nothing special, just a collection of parts to run in a certain class.  Something about it must have caught people's fancy, though, because it was very well received.

Steve.

Steve, they are all special. You put your time, effort, money, and brains into that truck. Our camaro is nothing special, a block from mexico, a car that at one time ran in a mud pit and parts from from all the cheapest places in can find. I guess I need to take a ride to Greggs.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1107 on: June 14, 2014, 12:06:03 PM »
Here is my 2 cents

I had a hotrod friend years ago that I asked the "WHY" question and he answered in the most basic and simple terms. He said, "Bill it's mine and it makes me happy." From that moment on I never had to ask someone why again. 

BR

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1108 on: June 14, 2014, 04:17:20 PM »
Here is my 2 cents

I had a hotrod friend years ago that I asked the "WHY" question and he answered in the most basic and simple terms. He said, "Bill it's mine and it makes me happy." From that moment on I never had to ask someone why again. 

BR

You are a very rare exception to this rule: Anyone who asks "Why?" will never understand-- George Leigh-Mallory got so exasperated by people asking why he climbed a mountain, he began replying simply "Because it's there!". People who only sit in front of their TV do not, and will never, understand why we do this stuff.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1109 on: June 14, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »
If I may continue this digression about why we do this stuff - on the tailgate of our pickup we've got the lines saying "We're spending the kid's inheritance".   Most likely you've all seen that line a zillion times - nothing new there.  But the SECOND line (that I added) does say it pretty well:  "But they'll have cool stories to tell about us."

That gives folks yet another bit of insight why we do this.  Personal satisfaction is good, and it isn't good to get it from watching a football game on the TV.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com