Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818276 times)

gkabbt

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #1050 on: May 03, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »
Is that still fwd?   :?

Mike

Mike,

Chevettes were RWD and used a tiny 6.5" diff. As Steve posted back in October, Royce told him that this one uses the stock trans.

I'll check with Royce tomorrow and see what he is using for both.

Gregg

I talked with Royce today. The trans is a modified Chevette unit with a custom engine adapter plate and the rear end stock Chevette with a 3.42 gears.
He ran 119 today, with a nasty headwind, and hopes for better speeds tomorrow.

Gregg 

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1051 on: May 03, 2014, 07:43:02 PM »
Didn't the Chevette use the same transmission as the Vega, which, I believe, was just a Saginaw 4 gear?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

gkabbt

« Reply #1052 on: May 03, 2014, 07:55:20 PM »
Didn't the Chevette use the same transmission as the Vega, which, I believe, was just a Saginaw 4 gear?

My bad for not being more specific on this Chris.....Royce is using the Chevette automatic transmission. I just did a Google and see that it is a GM Turbo-Hydromatic 180. Same trans might have been used in the Vega as well.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1053 on: May 03, 2014, 07:55:34 PM »
That Chevette is cooler than the other side of my pillow!

Yes, Royce was telling me about their Ecotec project, it looks right at home.

The location of their brake master cylinder is certainly thinking outside the box.  I can't tell, but it looks like the actuating rod has a very long and circuitous path from the pedal to the cylinder.

I spend a good chunk of the afternoon removing the old brake lines, installing new ones, and washing brake fluid out of my hair.

Gearing up for June, Gregg - see you there.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #1054 on: May 03, 2014, 08:16:19 PM »
That Chevette is cooler than the other side of my pillow!

Yes, Royce was telling me about their Ecotec project, it looks right at home.

The location of their brake master cylinder is certainly thinking outside the box.  I can't tell, but it looks like the actuating rod has a very long and circuitous path from the pedal to the cylinder.

I spend a good chunk of the afternoon removing the old brake lines, installing new ones, and washing brake fluid out of my hair.

Gearing up for June, Gregg - see you there.

Steve.

Agreed that Royce's Chevette is a cool and fast little car. He, his dad Butch and son Brady are all cool as well!

As far as the Ecotec swap, he did have to modify the k-frame to lower the engine because it is so tall.
The swap is real clean and looks like it came from the factory.

The master cylinder mounting/actuating rod was questioned yesterday in tech and was approved.

I know what you mean about brake fluid.....nasty stuff to play with LOL!

See you in June or maybe sooner if Justin gets my engine completed!

As I keep telling, you're gonna LOVE this place.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1055 on: May 09, 2014, 10:15:43 AM »
After too much delay, I got my 4-wheel brake system buttoned up and bled last night.  It uses a somewhat rare (1 year only) manual brakes master cyl from an '82 Chrysler Town & Country, which was spec'ed by our very own T-Man.

The master cyl is a perfect fit, and clears everything else under the hood.  The front disks are from a '92 Plymouth Acclaim, and the rears are from a '91-ish Lebaron.  With new lines all around, new hardware kits, wheel cylinders, pads, and shoes - this thing is probably one of the best stopping '84 Rampages still in existence.

Just 4 weeks until the Ohio Mile.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1056 on: May 09, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »
I also made my own "solid" front motor mount.  I wasn't too happy about the amount of movement that my engine is allowed under-hood, so I bought a replacement rubber motor mount, and filled all the open space with castable urethane.

Hopefully this will cut down on the excess engine movement.  (I still have 2 other mounts to do).

iphone for size comparison.

Steve

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1057 on: May 09, 2014, 01:44:19 PM »
That's a great idea, Steve!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1058 on: May 09, 2014, 02:37:06 PM »
Thanks.

For anyone interested, here is the stuff that we use at work, and what I used to fill the open spaces in a rubber motor mount:

It's available in different hardnesses.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1059 on: May 09, 2014, 11:12:53 PM »
After too much delay, I got my 4-wheel brake system buttoned up and bled last night.  It uses a somewhat rare (1 year only) manual brakes master cyl from an '82 Chrysler Town & Country, which was spec'ed by our very own T-Man.

Steve.

Thanks for the props Steve!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1060 on: May 12, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »
No problem - thanks for spec'ing out that rare hardware.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1061 on: May 14, 2014, 09:20:20 PM »
No problem - thanks for spec'ing out that rare hardware.

Steve.

I am always happy to help out folks matching brake hardware. Things work well when you do not do things cafeteria style!

LittleLiner

« Reply #1062 on: May 16, 2014, 12:27:03 AM »
I am always happy to help out folks matching brake hardware. Things work well when you do not do things cafeteria style!

TMAN - PM sent

Offline Tman

« Reply #1063 on: May 16, 2014, 12:50:39 AM »

TMAN - PM sent

Got it, thanks!

Steve, have you been riding? I am back into my old ways and am actually getting more car stuff done now that I am riding 2-4 nights a week. New full sus mtn bike makes life fun!

gkabbt

« Reply #1064 on: May 17, 2014, 06:02:22 PM »
So, I went out to Festus, MO to pick up the engine for my Rampage from JMB Performance.
Naturally, since I was there, I had to meet up with Steve. We had breakfast this morning and then went to his house to see his Rampage. All I can say is cooler than cool! He rolled it out of the garage and started it up.
Diesel smoke in the morning is something to experience.....I wish I hadn't forgotten my camera!
Truck is about ready for it's LSR debut in Wilmington in a few short weeks!

Steve, REALLY good seeing you again and many thanks for taking the time for me.
I'll see you in Wilmington and I'll be sure to get some pics and vids of you smoking down the mile!!!!!

Gregg

PS
Your lime green and orange paint scheme work together really well.....I like it muy mucho!