Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 821219 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #915 on: August 27, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
Looking good, Steve!

Good luck! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

gkabbt

« Reply #916 on: August 27, 2013, 09:11:45 PM »
Steve, Now that the windshield is in place, how much is left to do? When are you leaving for Wendover?

Gregg

Currently in Rapid City, SD on our way to WoS!
Hope to catch up with Trent (Tman) Thursday.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #917 on: August 28, 2013, 09:53:14 AM »
I still have some "checklist" items to complete on the Rampage, but I'm in pretty good shape with those.  I am fully committed to having it buttoned up and ready to run on Sept 7th.

I probably have more to do on the trailer that I'm using than on the Rampage itself.  I am borrowing an enclosed race car trailer from a friend who races a sports car.  I think he only used the trailer once last year, before undergoing knee replacement surgery.  Due to a bunch of complications from that surgery, he is still not back in commission, and hasn't done any maintenance or improvements to the trailer.

The trailer was basically "Rode hard and put away wet" last year, so there are several areas that I'm having to address before feeling good about taking off across the country with this trailer (tires, brakes, bearings, electrical issues).

My plan is to depart from St Louis on Thursday morning, with the intent of arriving in Wendover on Friday evening.

See you on the salt.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #918 on: August 28, 2013, 02:23:52 PM »
Good racing Steve, safe travels.

Leave a nice smoke trail.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SteveM

« Reply #919 on: August 29, 2013, 09:46:18 AM »
Thanks, Wheeler.

Quick update(s) - me and my Crew Chief spent a couple of hours sorting out trailer issues last night.  We got pretty much everything working the way it's supposed to, with the exception of 2 "spotlights" mounted on the top of the back of the trailer.

Like so many trailer wiring issues, most of the problems stemmed from spliced connections and bad grounds.   

I wish the trailer industry would adopt the practice of running a dedicated ground wire to all 12V accessories, instead of relying on "chassis grounds" at all locations.  If I ever get around to re-wiring this whole trailer, that's what I intend to do.  Too many Scotch-splice connectors and self-tapping screws for grounds have caused just about every trailer wiring problem I've ever encountered.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #920 on: August 29, 2013, 10:01:14 AM »
Good luck Steve!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #921 on: August 29, 2013, 10:43:56 AM »

I wish the trailer industry would adopt the practice of running a dedicated ground wire to all 12V accessories, instead of relying on "chassis grounds" at all locations.  If I ever get around to re-wiring this whole trailer, that's what I intend to do.  Too many Scotch-splice connectors and self-tapping screws for grounds have caused just about every trailer wiring problem I've ever encountered.

Steve.

Part of the issue is the crummy wiring harness kits that tend to get used, and the location of the aux and running lights with respect to the main brake/turn/running light locations.

I cobbled mine together in late July - an annual ritual - and made the trip out without any difficulties, but I'm looking to replace it all with weather proof boxes, Switchcraft connectors and 16/3 insulated wiring.

Nothing more frustrating than getting pulled over for an erratic tail light.

"Yes, officer, it's a 1971."
"No, Bonneville."
"No, that would be Utah."
"Really, your dad had one, too?"
"Yeah, the electricals were bad on these."
"No, I haven't had anything to drink."
"L,M,N,O,P . . ."

Best of luck, Steve!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #922 on: August 29, 2013, 10:59:34 AM »
To add to your woes - are the wires long enough to do any patching?  Our trailer was built by folks that paid top dollar, by the inch, for the hookup wire.  The factory wiring was dang near banjo-string taut - and whomever fixed a light here and there before we got it did NOT make good splices with plenty of slack.  Crawling underneath the trailer to chase out the newly-corroded connectors is an annual event for me - and each time I refresh my stock of curse words when I find the 4x4 weathertight junction box crammed with seven in and seven out and a bunch of jumpers.

And yes, we have a light or two that flickers because the ground wire to it goes to a sheet metal screw.

Steve, you're not alone - nor are you, Chris. :-(
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SteveM

« Reply #923 on: August 29, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »
Slim:

Obviously, you have been laying underneath my borrowed trailer, checking the connections.  One 4x4 box with a spaghetti plate full of unlabeled, not color coded wires, and about a dozen scotch splice connectors.

Offline Tman

« Reply #924 on: August 29, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »
They come factory that way Steve!

BTW, should have a Gregg sighting here in a couple hours. They are playing tourist on their way to the Crazy Horse Memorial. Hope this heat doesn't kill em. They hit the only hot time we have had this year!@

Offline SteveM

« Reply #925 on: August 29, 2013, 03:22:03 PM »
It finally got hot here as well (high 90's, with 120% relative humidity).

Offline SteveM

« Reply #926 on: August 29, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »
Super-short video of the Rampage "Rollin' some coal".   This thing pulls VERY HARD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p8EYJ7BfH8

gkabbt

« Reply #927 on: August 29, 2013, 09:53:32 PM »
Can't wait to see this belching black smoke on the salt.....On it's way to a record!  :cheers:

Gregg

Currently in Rapid City, SD on our way to WoS!

Also, stopped by Trent's this afternoon for a REALLY good visit! Spirit of South Dakota is looking good!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:57:28 PM by gkabbt »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #928 on: August 30, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »
GO Steve, GO!

Best of luck on the salt!
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Fordboy

P.S.   If Trent's there, he'll probably have the best beer!
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline SteveM

« Reply #929 on: August 30, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »
That's good to know.  I'm not a big drinker - I'd much rather have one really good beer than several not-so-good beers.