Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818119 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #705 on: May 08, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »
I did some research, and tried some small test pieces before jumping to the larger sheets.

Here's my "recipe" for anyone who wants to try it...

1.  PRE-HEAT the oven.  This step is critical.  If you don't pre-heat, the oven will ramp up and overshoot the target temperature, resultin in a bubbled mess.  I learned this in my "small test piece" phase.

2.  I used a target temp of 260F initially, then took it just a tad higher, to 265F.  I let it hold at temperature for just over 2 hrs.  VERIFY the temperature with a Ray-Tech or similar temperature measuring device.  If you are using a conventional kitchen oven, do not trust the temperature on the dial.  On our "shop" oven, I found that the dial needed to be down around 190F in order to achieve an internal temperature of 250F.

3.  A little bit of weight applied to the free end of the polycarbonate will help it to sag into the correct shape.  I used a 2 foot long piece of Unistrut (maybe a 3-5 pounds) to add weight.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #706 on: May 08, 2013, 09:08:51 AM »
Steve,
Looking good and as Mike posted.....EXCELLENT work!   :cheers:
You just have WAY to many cools toys at your disposal!

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #707 on: May 08, 2013, 09:35:48 AM »
I have always had day jobs which allowed me access to a wide variety of industrial equipment in steel mills, machine shops, foundries, and now in a steel fabrication plant.  I have also made it a point to take advantage of those opportunities.  I'm happy about those opportunities.

I'm not sure that I could be satisfied working a job where I wasn't afforded full access to all the toys.

I still have one more set of windows to bake, hopefully I can get then run this afternoon.  I can't let any grass grow under my feet, World Of Speed is going to be here in a hurry.

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #708 on: May 08, 2013, 01:16:56 PM »

I'm not sure that I could be satisfied working a job where I wasn't afforded full access to all the toys.

I still have one more set of windows to bake, hopefully I can get then run this afternoon. 

I can't let any grass grow under my feet, World Of Speed is going to be here in a hurry.

Steve.

Just be glad you didn't get in the IT field. 33+ years for me and most of it was fun but no cool toys like you!  8-)

I wonder who the other windows are for?  :?  :lol:

I've made up my mind and if I don't have my truck ready for the ECTA September event, you have another crew member at WoS!  :-D 

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #709 on: May 08, 2013, 03:52:05 PM »
Another set of crew hands would be fantastic, especially if you are willing to learn the inner workings of VW 020 4-speed transmissions.

I keep running through different top gear and R&P combos on paper and in my head.   

Steve.

Offline Jon

« Reply #710 on: May 09, 2013, 04:17:15 AM »
Hi Steve

I've put together a bit of an excel spreadsheet that lets you play with gearbox, final drive ratios and tyres sizes.
If you have a Dyno curve it can show you what force you have at the the wheel.
It's in bike terminology but you just need to put in ring and pinion tooth count rather than sprockets, it also works for twin gearboxes but if you just set the secondary to 1:1 it doesn't effect anything.

Can send you a copy if you want.
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

gkabbt

« Reply #711 on: May 09, 2013, 06:06:43 AM »
Another set of crew hands would be fantastic, especially if you are willing to learn the inner workings of VW 020 4-speed transmissions.

I keep running through different top gear and R&P combos on paper and in my head.  

Steve.

This is why I decided to run the automatic in my truck. Four different transfer gears using either of two R&P ratios gives eight possible final drive ratios from 2.60 to 3.72.

Possible final drive ratios:
2.60----  .91 transfer and 2.86 ring
2.97----1.04 transfer and 2.86 ring
3.02----1.06 transfer and 2.86 ring
3.50----1.22 transfer and 2.86 ring

2.78----  .91 transfer and 3.05 ring
3.17----1.04 transfer and 3.05 ring
3.22----1.06 transfer and 3.05 ring
3.72----1.22 transfer and 3.05 ring

Transfer gears can be swapped out in 15 minutes.....kind of like a mini quick change!

I know it's late in the game for you Steve but wouldn't an automatic from a 1.7L Omni bolt to your engine?
If it would bolt up, the automatic might give you a final drive ratio better suited to your engine instead of the manual.
Also, I "think" a lockup TC is available although I'm really not sure for the 1.7L stuff. (A lockup TC is in the automatic I'm going to run.)
Just a thought.  :evil:  :-o  :-D

Gregg
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:24:11 AM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #712 on: May 09, 2013, 07:11:58 AM »
Hi Steve

I've put together a bit of an excel spreadsheet that lets you play with gearbox, final drive ratios and tyres sizes.
If you have a Dyno curve it can show you what force you have at the the wheel.
It's in bike terminology but you just need to put in ring and pinion tooth count rather than sprockets, it also works for twin gearboxes but if you just set the secondary to 1:1 it doesn't effect anything.

Can send you a copy if you want.
jon

Jon and Steve,

Here is an pretty good online calculator that has been posted before:
http://www.squirrelpf.com/gearingcalc/index.php
This has both gearing and turbo sizing and you can also download it in excel as well.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #713 on: May 09, 2013, 09:31:29 AM »
Thanks guys, for the advice.  I have a couple of spreadsheets to do the calculations.  The math is not the problem.  I'm just trying to use logic and dead-reckoning to put my best foot forward on my first shot.  It's kind of a scramble for me to get this truck done in time, so there may not be time in the schedule for a dyno session.

Trying to figure out the right RPM range for a 1.5L turbodiesel to hit at the target speeds is the challenge swirling in my mind. 

I'm planning to put my best guess transmission in the truck, but bring at least 1 spare with a different gearset, and possibly a 3rd transmission, depending on what kind of speed I can achieve with the first setup.

Later 'yall.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #714 on: May 09, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »
Remember, your first time out will be spent working on rookie orientation and licensing  runs for at least a couple days.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #715 on: May 09, 2013, 08:36:57 PM »
Thanks guys, for the advice.  I have a couple of spreadsheets to do the calculations.  The math is not the problem.  I'm just trying to use logic and dead-reckoning to put my best foot forward on my first shot.  It's kind of a scramble for me to get this truck done in time, so there may not be time in the schedule for a dyno session.

Trying to figure out the right RPM range for a 1.5L turbodiesel to hit at the target speeds is the challenge swirling in my mind. 

I'm planning to put my best guess transmission in the truck, but bring at least 1 spare with a different gearset, and possibly a 3rd transmission, depending on what kind of speed I can achieve with the first setup.

Later 'yall.

Steve.

What trans are you planning on utilizing? The rabbit 4K trans is pretty stout for OEM. As for
skipping a dyno session, better to break it on the rollers than break it on the salt. My $.02...
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline SteveM

« Reply #716 on: May 09, 2013, 10:05:19 PM »
Yep, 4 speed 020.  I have a GP, GC, and several GM code trannies, in addition to an FN code 5-speed.  I also have a separate set of 0.91 4th gears that I want to swap into one of the GM's.  The GM code are OEM Dodge Omni transaxles, with a 3.48 R&P.

I certainly want to get onto a chassis dyno before September.  At this point, however, I just have to make my best guess as to which trans to put in the truck for the shakedown runs.  I don't want to have to swap trannies if I don't have to.  There's also a chance that I might have time to run it on the 1/4 mile track at Gateway International.  It won't be much of a dragster, but power can be inferred from 1/4 mile speed.

I need to brush up on the number of rookie and licensing runs to expect before I can let it all hang out..  I think that a rule change was put into effect for classes where the record is under 150mph.  Something along the lines of a licensing pass also being eligible for a record run (again, I need to check the rulebook on that one).

For now, I spent the evening clearing up some loose ends before painting the Rampage on Saturday.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #717 on: May 09, 2013, 10:17:13 PM »
Rule 1.F - changed for 2013

1.F
QUALIFYING:
Add new sentence:
At Bonneville a rookie driver/rider may qualify for a record
on their rookie run if the exi
sting record is less than 150
MPH.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #718 on: May 09, 2013, 10:19:08 PM »
 :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SteveM

« Reply #719 on: May 11, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »
The paint has been applied.  I think it's going to look great.  This is probably the best paint job that has ever been applied by my hands.

The Eastwood urethane kit was fantastic.  The paint flowed out great, no runs, fantastic coverage.  Here's a quick pictorial of the process...

Step 1 - haul it across town.

Step 2 - roll it into the shop.

Step 3 - put it on jackstands and mask it.

Step 4 - lay everything out and wipe it all down..

Step 5 - wet down the floor, then shoot the primer/sealer