Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 822042 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #690 on: May 03, 2013, 11:57:50 AM »
I'm looking forward to trying the urethane.

On a semi-related, note, I received the master cylinder from Latest Rage today.  If I devote enough time this weekend, I can have functioning brakes for loading and unloading the Rampage from the trailer.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #691 on: May 04, 2013, 12:47:48 AM »
How much was that master cylinder? I have found some like that by wilwood in the summit catalog for 50 bucks or so. I will be needing to find something small soon to build a dual caliper rear disc setup for my brothers 72 riviera.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #692 on: May 04, 2013, 02:47:32 AM »
Sublime Green hey! That sounds like a real stand out color. I bet it's going to look great. Steve, your build just keeps gathering momentum. You are a determined guy and a huge inspiration. Thanks man. :cheers:

gkabbt

« Reply #693 on: May 04, 2013, 05:39:39 AM »

You are a determined guy and a huge inspiration. Thanks man. :cheers:

Steve, gotta agree with what Mike said. Gittin' R done.....LOL!  :-D

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #694 on: May 04, 2013, 11:46:57 AM »
The master cylinder was $55, including shipping from Latest Rage.  They are a pretty big name in the dune buggy world.

Gregg - good news - I went back up to Jerry Bickel's yesterday afternoon and picked up the window frames.  I also snagged a window net mounting kit while I was there.

I hope to have a go at forming the Polycarbonate windows this week.

Pics to follow.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #695 on: May 04, 2013, 12:27:48 PM »
Steve, looks good, let me know if I can help with anything. Just got back from a quick gravel grinder on the Masi cross bike. Spring finally got here after a winters worth of snow in 3 weeks. Too steep SS gearin, no miles on the legs, headwind and rolling hills made for a brutal ride. Got to that point coming up the last hill where you are wobbly and right on the edge................flat bikepath gearing needs to go for this spin type rider. On a good note my sinuses are better than they have been in weeks.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #696 on: May 06, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »
Nonstop rain all weekend kept me off my bicycle.  Instead, I spent many hours doing body prep work and sanding the Rampage in anticipation of painting next Saturday.

The Rampage is pretty much ready for paint at this point.  My garage looks like the Oklahoma dust bowl, however.

I did manage to find some time this morning to try my hand at hot-forming polycarbonate.  I think I have a plan that will work for the side windows...

Here's the result of hot-forming a small test piece.  It took the shape properly, and didn't "bubble".

Over the next couple of days, I plan to use my OEM side windows as a buck mold, and make up some polycarbonate replacements.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #697 on: May 06, 2013, 03:20:47 PM »
Dusty.

Offline Tman

« Reply #698 on: May 06, 2013, 03:27:53 PM »
Glass looks good, new side business?!

gkabbt

« Reply #699 on: May 06, 2013, 04:53:04 PM »
Dusty.

My garage looks kind of the same way after cleaning the underside. Crap everywhere but at least that job is finished! Now I'm cleaning the garage.....again!

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #700 on: May 06, 2013, 04:57:03 PM »
Here's the result of hot-forming a small test piece.  It took the shape properly, and didn't "bubble".

Over the next couple of days, I plan to use my OEM side windows as a buck mold, and make up some polycarbonate replacements.

Steve, Test piece looks good! Glad there were not any issues!

Gregg

Glass looks good, new side business?!
Trent, I know where Steve's 1st customer lives!  :evil:  :-)  :-D  :cheers:

Gregg
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:04:20 PM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #701 on: May 06, 2013, 05:03:50 PM »
The test piece turned out fine.  The real deal will go into the oven later this week (I'm having our maintenance crew make sure the furnace is 100% up to snuff before using it on the Rampage windows).

Last time we used the big furnace (when I baked the paint on my rollcage), it kept shutting off and would have to be re-set.  I don't want that hassle for the windows.  It's a win-win.  The company gets the assurance that the furnace is working properly for stress-relieving coils of steel, and my Rampage windows get to be the guinea pigs.

To make the pattern for the polycarbonate, I used the OEM window to make a cardboard template, then added 3/4" width to all dimensions on the poly.  The polycarbonate will shrink a small amount when heated, and then I'm planning to trim the excess after it's in the proper shape.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #702 on: May 07, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »
Windows just went in the oven!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #703 on: May 08, 2013, 08:26:53 AM »
A few quick pics...

The blue box - you could cook a lot of pizzas in this thing...

...and the first pair of molded polycarbonate windows for an '84 Rampage...

They turned out pretty good.  The overall curve matches perfectly.  The only area where I'd like to see some improvement is the molding around the OEM fasteners at the bottom of the glass.  Since I'm not planning to do roll-up windows, this won't be a factor, but if someone was looking for drop-in, bolt-in replacements, this could be an issue.

I could go hotter on the temperature, but if I fly too close to the sun, the polycarbonate will bubble.  Apparently, the "bubble zone" is a very fine line, and I'd prefer not to cross it.

Steve.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #704 on: May 08, 2013, 08:38:02 AM »
Excellent work there Steve. You're a natural, most guys that have tried that process cooked their jobs. :cheers: