Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 821879 times)

Offline Crackerman

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #675 on: April 22, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »
Steve, no. I did not have a twin stick colt. I have only seen one in the junkyards. Mine was one of 1600 imported into north america. Colt gt turbo with the mitsu 4g61t. Which i swapped for a 63t.  Colts are much like mopar kcars. No parts made specifically for them, but easily adaptable from mitsu eclipse, galant vr4 and hyundai elantras and sonatas. 

gkabbt

« Reply #676 on: April 24, 2013, 08:33:39 AM »
PM sent.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #677 on: April 26, 2013, 09:59:52 AM »
... a few more updates:

1 - I took my side windows to Jerry Bickel's shop, where they are going to use my windows to create a template for future Rampage / Shelby Charger  polycarbonate window mounting applications.  They will do the frames, tabs, and mounting brackets for the polycarb.  I will cut the windows myself, and may try to curve them in a heat treat furnace at work.

2 - Last night, I had a buddy stop by to help for a couple of hours.  He spent his time sanding the body parts, prepping for paint.  I spent my time cutting the old shock mounts off the rear axle, and welding on new shock mounts to support the Gabriel HiJacker air shocks.  (Sorry, no pics of the shock mounts yet, I was too busy cutting, grinding, welding, and cussing to take any photos).

3 - I spend some time noodling on the window net requirements.  Here's a pic of the window/door opening...

What I haven't been able to figure out is a good location for the latch hardware.  The absolute top of the opening is about 14".  I think I will need to move the upper window net bar down a little bit, maybe to the point where the net would be 16" long across the top.

The bottom part of the net will need to be about 24" (The opening is 27" across the bottom).   

I'm open for suggestions regarding the upper bar rod and hardware, as well as any alternative solutions to the common "seat belt" style latch.

Please help with your advice regarding the window net mounting.

STeve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #678 on: April 29, 2013, 08:34:49 AM »
Not much time for pics right now, but here's one after the air shocks have been installed and aired-up, along with the nose piece being installed, and some of the body prep being done. 

I'm planning to paint it on Mother's Day weekend, and there's plenty to do between now and then...

Steve

Offline SteveM

« Reply #679 on: May 02, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »
Just ordered my window net from M&R.  They were very friendly and easy to deal with for a custom net.

Waiting to take delivery of a "dune buggy" style master cylinder and the sublime green paint.

Paint is going on next weekend.  Hopefully, I will have functional brakes before then.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #680 on: May 02, 2013, 01:41:59 PM »
Paint's here.  Eastwood single-stage urethane, SubLime / LimeLight.

Offline Tman

« Reply #681 on: May 02, 2013, 03:41:02 PM »
You have a fresh air suit to spray that? Lots of us have gotten away with less but isocyantes are nasty. I would give it some thought, maybe see if you can rent one?

Offline SteveM

« Reply #682 on: May 02, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »
I have some industrial friends with a Rackal (sp?) helmet and air supply I can borrow.

Steve.

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #683 on: May 02, 2013, 07:57:57 PM »
Steve,
As a painter in a former life....just make sure the compressor for the paint hood (fresh air supply) is as far away from the paint room as possible. Believe it or not I have seem some people put it right outside the exhaust duct for the paint booth.  If you are doing this at home put the supply where no fumes or overspray can get to it.  Good luck, excited to see the results.
Monte.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #684 on: May 03, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »
Good thinking, Monte.  I won't be painting at home (I know better than to poke the Queen with a sharp pointy stick).

It will be at a commercial garage location which is not specifically set up as a paint booth, but will be used as such, with a lot of air volume and a fresh air supply from outside the painting area.

Steve.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #685 on: May 03, 2013, 09:14:43 AM »
Good thinking, Monte.  I won't be painting at home (I know better than to poke the Queen with a sharp pointy stick).

I thought poking the Queen was a good thing... sorry I could not resist. Interested to see how that single stage stuff works for you as Amy (the Queen/Driver) is getting real tired of flat black.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Tman

« Reply #686 on: May 03, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »
Sounds like you have it covered :cheers:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #687 on: May 03, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
Looking forward to the finished paint scheme! Car is coming along nicely!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SteveM

« Reply #688 on: May 03, 2013, 10:24:34 AM »
I'm a budget paint-job kind of guy.  In the past, I have always used enamels, sometimes catalyzed, sometimes not.  Sometimes with clear, sometimes not. 

I've only done 5 or 6 auto paint jobs.  They normally turn out pretty good by my standards.  Not professional quality, but good for my needs and budget.  I don't like to spend more than $200 on paint materials for a job.  I'm not painting Bentleys, Rolls Royces, or '70 Hemi Cudas.

After doing some reading, I'm going to try the Eastwood kit.  Word on the street is that the urethane is a bit more forgiving and durable than enamel.  No clear coat will be used.  That will save me some money, and allow for easier touch-ups in the future.  For the price ($122 for the gallon kit, including the activator and shipping), I figure I can't go wrong.  I already have enough left-over primer-sealer for the job.  I bought a quart of flat black Rust-Oleum for the hood.

I'm planning to do the entire body in Sublime Green, with a flat black hood (nostalgia Mopar style).  There are some local pinstriper / signpainter guys who I would like to recruit to paint the numbers on the side, and maybe add a few pinstripe highlights.  We'll have to see if I can pull that together in time.

Steve

Offline Tman

« Reply #689 on: May 03, 2013, 11:30:12 AM »
You will do fine and really like the urethane. I painted my T with it, solids can even be cut and buffed