Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 822058 times)

gkabbt

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #630 on: April 12, 2013, 05:21:25 PM »
Thanks guys, the positive feedback keeps me energized and moving forward.  By next weekend, I should have the Dzus tabs welded to the wheels, the new tires mounted, and have the truck back on all fours, in a new and lower height.

I fabbed up a set of lowering blocks which will also move the rear axle back exactly 1" in the wheelwell. As Gregg can attest, doing the axle flip modification on a Rampage results in the entire axle moving forward in the wheelwell by 1" or so.  The lowering blocks I've fabbed will correct this wheel centering issue.   I'll try to get some pics uploaded later today or tomorrow.

I understand the concerns about axle wrap/hop on braking, and appreciate the input of the folks who have cautioned against the use of lowering blocks.   For my Bonneville attempt, I've decided to go ahead with the lowering blocks.  If I run on pavement, I'll need to add front brakes, and can change the rear lowering approach if needed at that time.

Steve.

Steve, Can't wait to see the pics and the new height. As for your lowering blocks, I "think" I know what you have done.

Gregg

****EDIT****
You and I were posting at the same time. Thanks for the pic of the lowering block. This is what I thought you came up with. It's kinda like what the Rusty Rampage guy did on his only yours is less complicated.
GOOD JOB!   :cheers:

Gregg
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:46:42 PM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #631 on: April 12, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »
Gregg:
   You might have replied while I was posting pics of the lowering blocks.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #632 on: April 12, 2013, 05:29:01 PM »
Yep, see above post. Again, GOOD JOB!   :cheers:

Gregg

P.S.
Did you by chance make me a pair?.....LMAO  :-D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:31:22 PM by gkabbt »

Offline Tman

« Reply #633 on: April 12, 2013, 05:45:53 PM »
Good news Steve :cheers:

gkabbt

« Reply #634 on: April 14, 2013, 06:57:54 AM »
Happy Birthday, Steve!!!!I hope you have a GREAT BIRTHDAY with many more to come!  :cheers:  :cheers:   :cheers:
April is a good month as You, The Midget and me have B'Days within 2 weeks of each other!

Gregg
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 07:06:59 AM by gkabbt »

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #635 on: April 14, 2013, 10:10:34 AM »
Happy B'day Steve, Have a great day. you are definately in good company. My Dad's b'day is on 4/2, one day from an Arpil Fools baby, he loves it at 80years young.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline tauruck

« Reply #636 on: April 14, 2013, 05:31:07 PM »
Happy birthday Steve. :cheers:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #637 on: April 14, 2013, 05:36:54 PM »
:cheers: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEVE! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

gkabbt

« Reply #638 on: April 15, 2013, 06:56:06 AM »
Steve,

Here is an FYI about the steering shaft:
If you remember me telling you, I'm replacing the power steering rack and shaft with a manual one from an Omni.
Yesterday, I took out my old steering shaft and replaced it with the manual one.
The 1st thing I noticed immediately was the shaft is the same size all the way at 5/8"......no 5/8" going to 1 1/2" like the power one.

This pic has both of the shafts:

This pic is the new manual shaft:

Since the manual shaft is the same size, a bearing block like Buddy suggested back on page 39 should be an easy arrangement.

As usual, hope this helps,
Gregg
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:09:42 AM by gkabbt »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #639 on: April 15, 2013, 08:12:37 AM »
That's a win in any language. :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #640 on: April 15, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
Thanks for the Birthday wishes, everyone.  I had a fantastic day.

More great information.  Gregg - I have read that the input splines are different for the manual vs. power racks.  Can you confirm or deny that statement?

I guess you found a steering shaft for a manual-rack Omni in a junkyard somewhere?

I had considered buying a manual rack, but haven't yet.  I was just planning to "loop" the hydraulic lines on this power rack.  It seems to turn pretty easily, even without the power assist.

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #641 on: April 15, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »
I have read that the input splines are different for the manual vs. power racks.  Can you confirm or deny that statement?

I guess you found a steering shaft for a manual-rack Omni in a junkyard somewhere?

I had considered buying a manual rack, but haven't yet.  I was just planning to "loop" the hydraulic lines on this power rack.  It seems to turn pretty easily, even without the power assist.

The splines are definately different. The power steering one has 37 splines and is approximately 3/4" and the manual one is 17 splines and is approximately 5/8".

I got my Omni manual steering rack from a Turbo-Mopar member here in NC about 1 1/2 years ago.

You should be fine with doing the "loop" on your rack. The reason I wanted the manual is for the slower steering ratio.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #642 on: April 16, 2013, 08:11:37 AM »
OK - I managed another baby step yesterday...  The Moon weld jig arrived via UPS.  I have to give a big THANK YOU to Mooneyes for providing the loaner service on their Dzus tab weld jig.

The jig was straightforward and easy to use.  I managed to get all the tabs welded in place without ruining any parts or pieces.

Now, I need to drill and dimple the Moon disks that I bought from ebay.  With any luck, I can get that job done before I go to sleep tonight.

Next up will be some paint for the wheels, then take them back to Western Auto to get my new tires mounted.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #643 on: April 16, 2013, 08:51:57 AM »
Don't forget -- when you have the tire/wheels balanced -- the weights will all have to be on the inside.  They'd interfere with the discs if the weights are outer-rim mounted.  It'll take your tire vendor a bit of extra fiddlin', no doubt -- but it'll save you having the "Oh, crap!" moment when you try installing the discs the first time.

As always -- don't ask me how I know. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SteveM

« Reply #644 on: April 16, 2013, 08:56:15 AM »
Slim - thanks for the reminder.  I had already given that issue consideration, but your post helps to reinforce the fact that all the weights need to go on the inside.

My tire guy also has the "short" metal valvestems ready and waiting.

Steve.