Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818238 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #615 on: April 12, 2013, 08:18:55 AM »
Another small update - the Moon/Dzus weld jig should be here by next Tuesday.  Until then, I'll have to be content to sit and look at the Moon disks and imagine that they are attached to the wheels.

I did manage to get a little body work done last night, to cover the seams where the roof has been cut off and re-welded.  A little Bondo, and a little bit of Dupli-Color primer later, and it doesn't look too bad.  I'm not a body man by any stretch of the imagination, but this should turn out decent.

That's all for now.  My plan is to work on the suspension over the weekend, and keep working on the under-hood layout.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline tauruck

« Reply #616 on: April 12, 2013, 08:39:03 AM »
It's come a long way in a short time and it's looking good Steve. :cheers:

gkabbt

« Reply #617 on: April 12, 2013, 08:47:32 AM »
Looking really good as usual Steve!  :cheers:

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #618 on: April 12, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
Thanks guys, the positive feedback keeps me energized and moving forward.  By next weekend, I should have the Dzus tabs welded to the wheels, the new tires mounted, and have the truck back on all fours, in a new and lower height.

I fabbed up a set of lowering blocks which will also move the rear axle back exactly 1" in the wheelwell. As Gregg can attest, doing the axle flip modification on a Rampage results in the entire axle moving forward in the wheelwell by 1" or so.  The lowering blocks I've fabbed will correct this wheel centering issue.   I'll try to get some pics uploaded later today or tomorrow.

I understand the concerns about axle wrap/hop on braking, and appreciate the input of the folks who have cautioned against the use of lowering blocks.   For my Bonneville attempt, I've decided to go ahead with the lowering blocks.  If I run on pavement, I'll need to add front brakes, and can change the rear lowering approach if needed at that time.

Steve.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #619 on: April 12, 2013, 11:00:24 AM »
I've been meaning to ask you what a moon disc weighs?.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #620 on: April 12, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »
Methinks you may have the wrong discs for Dzus tab installation -- can't see the dimples.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SteveM

« Reply #621 on: April 12, 2013, 11:42:51 AM »
You are correct, Stan.  I am going to drill and dimple the disks.  These are some lightly used, previously loved disks that I picked up on Ebay.

Here's a pretty neat little write-up on retrofitting the Dzus-style fasteners to screw-on disks...

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/1101sr_installing_moon_discs/viewall.html

As far as what the disks weigh - not very much.

Steve.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #622 on: April 12, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »
Looking good, Steve! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #623 on: April 12, 2013, 12:56:57 PM »
Also, to clarify, the steering shaft goes into the column and that is what goes through the firewall. The column does not move.

Gregg

My bad on this post from last week.
I had not taken the plastic "bucket" off to see what was underneath and was going on ASSumption.
I took the "bucket" off yesterday and this part of the steering does indeed turn. The lowest part of the shaft is 1 1/2" and the upper part is 5/8".

Here is the pics that Steve originally posted:

It looks like the flange block bearing that Buddy posted would work.

Gregg

Just looking at this picture. I see you foot on the cage crossbar. Do you have provisions to keep your feet protected in the pedal area? It looks like you could end up with your feet in FRONT of the lower front cage legs? May just be the picture? I know they were pretty specific in that  area when Tims was screwing the pickup together and he added a tube in the kickpanel area.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #624 on: April 12, 2013, 01:28:22 PM »
Trent:
    You are correct about the crossbar placement.  I'm open for suggestions.  As you can see on the left side of the photo, the wheelwell intrudes into the "foot box". 

If this is going to be a problem, I need to get after a solution right now.

I'm going to send an email to SCTA.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #625 on: April 12, 2013, 01:30:12 PM »
Trent:
    You are correct about the crossbar placement.  I'm open for suggestions.  As you can see on the left side of the photo, the wheelwell intrudes into the "foot box".  

If this is going to be a problem, I need to get after a solution right now.

I'm going to send an email to SCTA.

Steve.

On #416 we have a "U" shaped tube layed on its side and welded to the front cage upright. That said our situation was a little different. Asking tech is your best bet.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:32:22 PM by Tman »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #626 on: April 12, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »
Email with photos has been sent.

There is not a lot of room between the pedals and the firewall on this thing.  If I need more bars, I'm going to have to get very creative.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #627 on: April 12, 2013, 01:52:19 PM »
Email with photos has been sent.

There is not a lot of room between the pedals and the firewall on this thing.  If I need more bars, I'm going to have to get very creative.

Steve.

You know what those tubular pickup bed extenders look like? I envision something like thatgoing forward and following the firewall from side to side.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #628 on: April 12, 2013, 02:15:41 PM »
I have the same kind of vision if needed - a squared off "U" type shape to hug the firewall. 

However, my mind's eye often sees more available space than really exists.  I can sit around thinking about something - "yeah, that should fit in the space I'm thinking of....  Then when it comes time to actually put it in the available space, I realize that there's not as much room as I had envisioned.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #629 on: April 12, 2013, 05:17:56 PM »
OK - good news from SCTA - my cage is good to go as it sits.

Here's the promised photo of the lowering blocks I fabbed up - 6" x 2" rectangular tubing with "end caps" welded on.  There is a locating hole on the bottom for the existing stud on the spring, and the head of an M10x1.5 bolt on the top side to locate the axle.

They will look a little nicer after some paint.

Steve.