Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 821816 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #600 on: April 03, 2013, 11:51:33 PM »
Good news   :-D

The CV axles for a '79 Horizon with a 1.7L gas engine fit on both ends and are the correct length for an '84 Rampage with a 1.5 Diesel, a Dodge Omni trans, and the knuckles & drive hubs from a '91 Plymouth Acclaim.  HOORAY.

The only thing I had to change was the seals on the outside of the outer CV's, to the inside face of the front wheel bearings.  Everything bolts up perfectly, the splines match, the axles are the correct lengths, and the transaxle is centered properly.

I realize this pic isn't much to look at, but it does show the passenger's side drive shaft fully functional and in the correct location in space.

This news made me feel so good, I decided to start working on modifying the firewall for turbo clearance.

Making the mental leap to cut the firewall was the toughest part.

This is where the Garrett GT2056 will reside.

Another view, and shortly after I decided that the turbo openings needed to be covered with blue tape.

That's all for tonight.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #601 on: April 04, 2013, 06:30:06 AM »
Good news   :-D

The CV axles for a '79 Horizon with a 1.7L gas engine fit on both ends and are the correct length for an '84 Rampage with a 1.5 Diesel, a Dodge Omni trans, and the knuckles & drive hubs from a '91 Plymouth Acclaim.  HOORAY.

The only thing I had to change was the seals on the outside of the outer CV's, to the inside face of the front wheel bearings.  Everything bolts up perfectly, the splines match, the axles are the correct lengths, and the transaxle is centered properly.

This news made me feel so good, I decided to start working on modifying the firewall for turbo clearance.

Steve, really good news on the axle fit and I know that is a major load off your mind.
As we've said before, isn't it incredible how the "new" Chrysler stuff fits the old and vice versa!

The firewall cut for the turbo "box" looks good as well. My engine will not need the turbo adapter like you have so my firewall box is just making room for the O2 housing/downpipe.

Gregg

Offline tauruck

« Reply #602 on: April 04, 2013, 08:10:09 AM »
Between you and Steve, we're being kept busy. Good progress guys. Thanks for the updates. :cheers:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #603 on: April 04, 2013, 08:24:14 AM »
Yup, what Mike said. You guys with your parts interchange kill me. We can't find GM junk that swaps out that well. :cheers:

Frank.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #604 on: April 04, 2013, 09:19:34 AM »
Steve, PM me the diameter on that steering shaft.

As one might expect, I've got a spare MG steering shaft with a proper collar that might be able to be pressed into service.

If it will work, it's yours.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #605 on: April 04, 2013, 10:09:45 AM »
The smaller shaft diameter is 0.690"???

I didn't measure the larger section (yet).

I was hoping to use a 3/4 ID bearing and a thin sleeve, but if your's will work, I'd be honored to race with it.

Thanks,

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #606 on: April 04, 2013, 03:43:45 PM »
In another case of "spending money like I've got it", I purchased 4 brand new "V" rated tires today (2 sets of matched pairs).

If needed, I'll switch the fronts and rears like a poor man's quick change to get a different final drive ratio.

Steve.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #607 on: April 05, 2013, 12:29:06 AM »
Poor man's quick change??? That must be the quickest, cheapest one ever. If the members on the forum are having fun building, you and Gregg must be at the top of the list. Great stuff and I hope you find a simple solution to sealing the steering shaft.  :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #608 on: April 07, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »
I had a pretty productive weekend on the Rampage.  I managed to get the firewall boxed in for turbo clearance, welded the cowl vent shut, and welded up the other non-needed holes in the firewall.

In-process pic.

A little farther along...

Cowl vent welded shut (notice the pentastar shape).

Other holes welded shut.

After canodizing.

The turbo nestled into its new home.

The view from inside the cabin.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #609 on: April 07, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »
I also put her back up on jackstands, so that I could remove all 4 wheels and tires.

The old tires will get de-mounted tomorrow, so that I can prep the wheels for the Moon disk / Dzus hardware.

Hopefully, by the time I get the Dzus tabs welded in place, the new tires will have arrived.

In addition, I cut the bump stop brackets off the rear frame rails, in anticipation of further lowering.

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #610 on: April 08, 2013, 08:21:57 AM »
Also, to clarify, the steering shaft goes into the column and that is what goes through the firewall. The column does not move.

Gregg

My bad on this post from last week.
I had not taken the plastic "bucket" off to see what was underneath and was going on ASSumption.
I took the "bucket" off yesterday and this part of the steering does indeed turn. The lowest part of the shaft is 1 1/2" and the upper part is 5/8".

Here is the pics that Steve originally posted:

It looks like the flange block bearing that Buddy posted would work.

Gregg
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 08:24:05 AM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #611 on: April 08, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »
A quick update - I just dropped off the wheels and tires at the local Western Auto, to have the current tires dis-mounted.

Steve.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #612 on: April 08, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »
Way to go Steve. You're on it big time. I can't wait for August. The forum is going to go nuts. :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #613 on: April 10, 2013, 10:42:28 AM »
Another quick update - the smaller set of tires was delivered today.  165/50/15 V-rated.  These little guys are cute.

I love the smell of fresh tires.

Tauruck - I'm not going to be there for Speed Week.  I'm going to make my debut at World Of Speed in September.

Steve.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #614 on: April 10, 2013, 11:42:31 AM »
 I'm sure you'll have it all figured out by September. Either way I think you've done great. :cheers: There are a very special set of new tires I'd love to Sniff!.