Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818101 times)

Offline Crackerman

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #570 on: March 27, 2013, 08:54:55 PM »
I was going to suggest Levi as well.
Tauruck, much unlike a tuned header that only gives 700ish rpm of peak evacuation, turbo diesel exhaust manifolds require flow, velocity and volume. Many high hp (1300+ hp cummins pullers) found that a runner manifold (header)  actually loses spool time and sometimes max hp due to not being "on top" of the charger. More hp was to be made with a high flow log type manifold or new to the market "steed speed" brand manifold.

Diesel exhaust is cold and slow compared to gas exhaust. 

Offline SteveM

« Reply #571 on: March 28, 2013, 08:11:56 AM »
The manifold fit great, and I think that the turbo would have cleared the firewall if I had purchased a manifold with the correct turbo flange (T3 versus T25).   :?  DOH!

I guess I had a brain fart upon ordering the manifold.  Now I will return the incorrect manifold, get the right one on it's way, and wait for another day.  There's still a huge list of items to be addressed which do not require the turbo and manifold to be in place.

With a 4-day weekend coming up, I hope to get some more work done on the Rampage.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #572 on: March 28, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
Well, it looks like the T25 manifold would come with it's own set of problems with respect to bolting on the turbo, and be more costly as well.

For those reasons, I'm going to buy a cast T3-to-T25 adapter, which will add just over 2" to the depth of the manifold, but will allow a clean bolt-up.   That means I'll have to modify the firewall, but that was always a possibility.

I'm planning to set a cut-away section of 1/4" thick steel tubing, like 6" or 8" wide, and 3" deep, back into the firewall.  That will give plenty of turbo clearance, and 1/4" thick steel as an additional safety barrier if the turbo ever came apart.

One step forwards, 2 steps back.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #573 on: March 28, 2013, 12:23:06 PM »
Steve, or anyone else. I found measured drawings somewhere online of the various flanges................then forgot where! Anyone know where I can find them?

Offline SteveM

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #575 on: March 28, 2013, 12:59:27 PM »
Man, I love when you guys post links. you should see the library I have from this forum :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SteveM

« Reply #577 on: April 02, 2013, 10:43:17 AM »
OK, it's time to upload some new photos....

When Gregg came to pay me a visit, he left a very cool pair of camber/caster adjustment plates.  I tried not to waste much time putting them to use on my project.  These are high-quality pieces made by a guy who specializes in front-wheel drive Chrysler vehicles.  The plates are designed to be used with coil-overs, as opposed to the factory McPherson strut setup.  This is not the final installation, but you can tell how they work from the pic.

With that in mind, there was only one thing to do - buy a "Drop Zone" coilover conversion kit, which utilizes the factory strut and conventional coil-over adjustment sleeves and springs.  Here is the setup on a junkyard-fresh Neon strut.  When it goes together for real, I'll have a new set of struts installed.

In this pic, you can see that the kit offers a pretty good drop, but there's still a little bit of room to get lower.  Shorter tires will handle some of the drop, and some modifications to the coilover kit and mounting hardware will provide the rest.

This is how she looks with the fender in place.  The tire tucks in a bit, and there's not much room for turning side to side.

The crossmember and oil pan are about 4-3/4" off the ground.  With the smaller tires, this will be more like 3".  I don't think I can go much lower.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #578 on: April 02, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »
Okay - a few more pics.  My goals for the weekend were to get the front suspension figured out, and get the steering linkage worked out as well.  The front suspension is fairly well sorted out, but not 100% finalized.

I also got the steering linkage attached and functional.  The hardware and brackets are for mock-up only, I'll have to remake the brackets with some "real" parts next time.  The pedals are also hung in place.

I'd like some input on how to seal the firewall where the steering shaft passes through.  The factory setup was a plastic "bucket" type arrangement which was held to the firewall with sheetmetal screws.  Obviously, I'd like something less flammable than the plastic cover.  I'm open for ideas.

Once the suspension was bolted in, and the steering attached, I decided to roll her outside for the first time in a long time.

I also received the turbo flange adapter that I'll be using.  This will make installation & removal much easier, and will also serve as a good location for an Exhaust Gas Temperature probe.   The Periodic Table coffee mug is to highlight the proper scale.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #579 on: April 02, 2013, 11:45:45 AM »
Excellent post Steve. It looks great just standing outside. You've made good progress. :cheers:

gkabbt

« Reply #580 on: April 02, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »
As usual, looks really good.
I agree that when you do the final install of the camber/caster plates and coilovers you'll get the drop you're looking for.   :cheers:
I REALLY like this pic. This is CLOSE to what I am looking for on my truck with the Gen 2 Neon stuff.....just a little lower.

If you really want/need to go lower than 3" you could get one of the tubular k-frames like I have.....only $$$$.
Remember though, as Stainless posted earlier, you don't want to go to low due to problems getting on/off the trailer.

Gregg

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #581 on: April 02, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »
Steve, How about welding some metal in around your steeing shaft, then slipping a bearing and housing over the shaft, and bolting it down, to seal that part of the firewall? You wouldn't have to use the eccentric collar. Just an idea.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:19:17 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

gkabbt

« Reply #582 on: April 02, 2013, 06:12:27 PM »

I'd like some input on how to seal the firewall where the steering shaft passes through.  The factory setup was a plastic "bucket" type arrangement which was held to the firewall with sheetmetal screws.  Obviously, I'd like something less flammable than the plastic cover.  I'm open for ideas.

Once the suspension was bolted in, and the steering attached, I decided to roll her outside for the first time in a long time.

Steve, I'm glad you asked the question about sealing the steering shaft as I need to find that out also. ANYONE?

I REALLY like your second pic as it reminds me of the Four Shifts and Grins which is very similar to what I'm shooting for.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #583 on: April 02, 2013, 07:58:13 PM »
I was initially hoping to use a bearing plate like the one 38 flattie posted.  In my mind's eye, the skinny part of the shaft is what passed through the firewall.  The skinny part is probably about 1/2" or 5/8".  In reality, it's the thick part that passes through the firewall, and that section is more like 1-1/2 or 2"  (I'll measure tonight).  A bearing plate with a 2" ID bearing is going to be very stout and expensive.

I've been picturing a tube with a flange on the firewall end, and then a bearing plate up on the skinny part of the shaft.  That might work, I'll have to eyeball it a little more.  That would allow me to screw the flange portion to the firewall, and still remove it fairly easily if needed.

Gregg - the tires that are on it right now are 195/65/15's, about 25" diameter.  If you go to 26" tires, you are going to need a lot of inward offset (I can never remember if that's negative or positive), and skinny tires.  Mine start to rub pretty bad as soon as the wheel is turned more than 15 degrees or so.

gkabbt

« Reply #584 on: April 02, 2013, 08:20:40 PM »
I've been picturing a tube with a flange on the firewall end, and then a bearing plate up on the skinny part of the shaft.  That might work, I'll have to eyeball it a little more.  That would allow me to screw the flange portion to the firewall, and still remove it fairly easily if needed.

Gregg - the tires that are on it right now are 195/65/15's, about 25" diameter.  If you go to 26" tires, you are going to need a lot of inward offset (I can never remember if that's negative or positive), and skinny tires.  Mine start to rub pretty bad as soon as the wheel is turned more than 15 degrees or so.

Sounds like you may be onto something. Please keep me in mind for whatever you do for the steering shaft. I have known about it for a long time, as I'm sure you have, but just haven't done anything about it.

Thanks for the info on the tires. As for mine, I'll just have to wait and see. I've got a few weeks left of cleaning, painting and waiting on parts before mine can come off the rotisserie. I think I remember reading that a +45 offset puts the wheel in about 1/2" in from the fender but I don't remember what tire/rim was used.....I'll dig that up.

***EDITED to add:
As for the rubbing, Manghelli has the same issue on the WGB VW.

Gregg
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:38:17 PM by gkabbt »