Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 822148 times)

gkabbt

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #495 on: March 15, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
Take a look at this setup.  What makes this transaxle so interesting is how close the output shafts are to the "front" of the transaxle.

I do agree it is an interesting design. Much different than the Neon transaxle I picked up last week.

On a side note, thanks for the recommendation for Lambert's Cafe. Just got back and I think I'm about 10 lbs heavier.   :-o
Staying in Sikeston tonight and will see you in the AM.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #496 on: March 15, 2013, 06:03:04 PM »
Tonight, we have a Parish fish-fry.  When I get home from that, I'll probably spend most of the evening cleaning up the garage.

Leave some of the "mess" and I'll be glad to help tomorrow.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #497 on: March 15, 2013, 06:06:08 PM »
Steve, why don't you just wait till Gregg gets there and yall can just pick up the little beasty, give her a flip and shake it till the lost scoket appears on the floor. Say Hi to gregg for me and Amy.

Frank.

I thought the same thing before I read your post.
Hope you guys are doing well.....Tell Amy I said "Hey"

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #498 on: March 15, 2013, 06:18:16 PM »
I'm able to use "mostly" bolt-in components from the correct selection of vehicles to put this VW diesel drivetrain into my Rampage.  The front motor mount will have to be cut apart and modified for clearance around the injection pump, but the rest of the bracketry has been pulled from a variety of junkyard cars and trucks.

Steve

And on a related note for everyone, a lot of parts interchange between the 80's, 90's and 00's ChryCo cars. As an example, I am using a 2005 Neon SRT 4 engine, 2004 SRT 4 Struts and knuckles and a 1998 Neon transaxle in my Rampage and for the most part, they are bolt-in swaps. Steve is using 90's 1st Gen Neon Struts as well as 80's K car knuckles and again, bolt-in swap.
Makes life kinda easy.....or at least better!   :-D

Gregg
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:59:34 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #499 on: March 18, 2013, 05:02:06 AM »
Steve,

Really good finally meeting you, Terry and your wives Saturday. It was a short visit but as you know I wanted to try and outrun the rain on the way home and not get the rotisserie wet.
I must say that I was very impressed with the work you have done on your truck and the cage work is spectacular! That diesel is going to be way cool and a straight bolt-in to boot!

I think the timing of all this was perfect for all this as the parts I left you will be needed very soon.

Here are a couple of links about the camber plates I was telling you about:
The Word doc that was with the pics are exerpts from several posts in this thread. One thing I forgot to mention is that these plates will only work with coilovers and not the stock strut. Please read the entire thread as Rich did make modifications after I got my set from his original batch.
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?27818-Any-intrest-in-direct-fit-camber-plates&s=f0d67852ab652913067bd1ae68d3ebfc
This one shows how the plates are installed:
http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?61852-L-body-camber-plate-install

As for our discussion about your dash, I personnaly recommend doing something similiar to to mine so all control are within a very short reach with your right hand.

Also, please tell Terry thanks for the tip on the Intestates.....worked good and no 2 lane blacktops.
I did manage to outrun the rain and got home late yesterday afternoon.

Rotisserie now at home in the Tar Heel state:

I am going to put it back together and try to get my Rampage on it later today.....got to clean up the garage 1st (I got entirely to much crap!)  :-D
Again, many thanks for the rotisserie and I hope the parts I left will help you as well.  :cheers:

Gregg

P.S.
As usual, if there is anything I can help you with please do not hesitate to let me know.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:37:23 AM by gkabbt »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #500 on: March 18, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
You guys are having way too much fun with your pickups. :-D I'm feeling left out here :cry: It's great that you can help each other out. Nice spread you have Gregg!.

gkabbt

« Reply #501 on: March 18, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »
You guys are having way too much fun with your pickups. :-D I'm feeling left out here :cry: It's great that you can help each other out. Nice spread you have Gregg!.

My fun has been slow but as you've seen, Steve's is wide open. Hopefully with the rotisserie, my fun can pick back up.
Don't feel left out.....You're giving long distance support.  :cheers:
As the Midget coined it.....Steve and I are Rampage Brothers and bros help each other out  :-D
Thanks for the compliment.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #502 on: March 18, 2013, 04:47:45 PM »
It was a great, but short visit on Saturday afternoon.  Gregg left me some fantastic race-car goodies, and I convinced him to haul away my no-longer needed rotisserie.  I hope he's able to get as much benefit from it as I have.  Here are a few quick pics from Saturday....

The Rampage Brothers meet in person....

Gregg brought along this super-trick tubular K-frame for a little show and tell.  This piece is VERY nice.

Gregg and my neighbor Terry, strapping in the pieces of the rotisserie.  That thing's pretty heavy.

The Rampage brothers again, just before Gregg's departure.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #503 on: March 18, 2013, 04:49:22 PM »
On Sunday, I braved some fairly nasty weather to do some junkyard searching.  I came away with a "GL" code VW 4-speed.  I now own 3 of the 4 available sets of gears for these transaxles.

There's a pretty good chance that I'll pick up the 4th available set by this coming weekend.

I'm hoping to be the "Guru" of VW 4-speeds.

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #504 on: March 18, 2013, 06:27:11 PM »
Good pics.....It's a wonder that the balding fat guy didn't cause your camera to break.  :-o
Great news on the VW gear find!   :cheers:

Gregg

P.S.
When you find the 4th gear you need, change your sig line to read:
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers and Guru of VW 4-speeds   :-D 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #505 on: March 18, 2013, 07:19:25 PM »
 :-D:cheers: Great pics. Now I know what you geezers look like. You make a fine pair and I'm hoping to see even bigger smiles come August.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #506 on: March 19, 2013, 07:43:01 AM »
Geezer???   I tell my wife that I'm a much younger man, trapped in an aging man's body and gray hair. HA!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #507 on: March 19, 2013, 07:44:29 AM »
Apparently, when putting three question marks in a row, an iPhone changes to that frowny face. I was just goofing. My USAC racing age is 45.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #508 on: March 19, 2013, 08:34:17 AM »
You look like a cyclist brother. You must be a climber of note!. You're a youngster at 45. My old friend Errol (79) called me a kid. :-D

Offline SteveM

« Reply #509 on: March 19, 2013, 10:26:23 AM »
I'm only a few pounds over a good cycling weight, but I just don't have the fitness right now.  I could stand to lose 5-10 more lbs to be in really good cycling shape.  It's impossible to REALLY train to race a bicycle and complete a project like this Rampage.

I got out for our team training ride on Saturday morning.  As I returned to my home, Gregg was pulling up in his red Toyota.  I didn't even take the time to change out of my cycling kit, which is somewhat visible under the black warmup jacket that I'm wearing.

At 6:00 a.m., it was about 60 degrees F.  Our training ride started at 7:30, when it was about 55 F.  By the time we finished our ride, around 9:15 or so, it was in the low 40's.  The temps kept dropping all day.

Steve.