Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818236 times)

Offline Tman

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #480 on: March 15, 2013, 12:15:56 AM »
Your engine is sideways, I would be worried!@

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #481 on: March 15, 2013, 02:01:44 AM »
Does that count as moveable ballast and if so is it legal???  :? :evil: :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #482 on: March 15, 2013, 08:21:40 AM »
Steve,

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, I wrenched an SCCA B/Prod Corvette owned by a buddy of mine, along with a batch of his other friends.    When we rebuilt the car, we found nine 9/16ths sockets and five 9/16 wrenches, that the car had "swallowed". . . .       None were mine though. . . . .
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline SteveM

« Reply #483 on: March 15, 2013, 08:27:11 AM »
Does that count as moveable ballast and if so is it legal???  :? :evil: :-D :-D :-D

Pete

I may spend some time with a "grippy grabber", a magnet, a piece of baling wire, and whatever else I can think of to help me retrieve my beloved 15mm socket.  It's not a MAC, Snap-On, gold plated Campagnolo limited edition that's been blessed by the Pope, or anything like that (It's a Husky), but I loved it just the same.  Now there's an empty spot in the plastic case where she used to reside.  It's a sad situation.  Sure, I could buy a replacement socket, but that's like a replacement dog when your trusty companion passes away.  It's just not the same.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SteveM

« Reply #484 on: March 15, 2013, 08:32:59 AM »
Your engine is sideways, I would be worried!@

There are some vehicles which use longitudinal engines, but still retain front wheel drive.  The obvious examples are cars like the Olds Toronado, Cadillac Eldorado, etc.

However, there are some vehicles which are very similar to what I'm using which also retain the longitudinal engine/FWD layout.  VW/Audi Fox and VW Quantum come to mind immediately.  The thought had already crossed my mind to use such an arrangement, especially if I ever get to the point of running a larger V6 engine in this same vehicle (daydreaming).

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #485 on: March 15, 2013, 08:38:07 AM »
Take a look at this setup.  What makes this transaxle so interesting is how close the output shafts are to the "front" of the transaxle.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #486 on: March 15, 2013, 09:34:26 AM »
That box must be a popular choice for guys building rear engine kit sports cars. Steve, I'm cursed or something because if 50 guys are standing in a crowd the bird will find me and when it comes to dropping small things into open manifolds I am the undisputed world champion. Bring on the WBA, WBC, IBF they are small potatoes. :-D A newly built Formula V motor had to be stripped, 125cc Suzuki, 12A Peripheral port Mazda and many others. My solution is to cover all opening with 3M duct tape now. You need to pick that car up and shake it til it spits out the socket  :-D :-D :-D If it's a closed end that it's fallen into maybe blowing compressed air might force it to roll towards where it started out. I know you'll get it out somehow.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #487 on: March 15, 2013, 09:41:36 AM »
Take a look at this setup.  What makes this transaxle so interesting is how close the output shafts are to the "front" of the transaxle.

Steve -

Is that out of an Intrepid?  Shure would make packaging easy.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #488 on: March 15, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »
I think that one's out of a VW Quantum, but I can't be positive.

What makes it particularly interesting is that VW now has a 3 liter V6 turbodiesel.  I can't confirm it, but I suspect it may be a close cousin to the 3 liter V6 turbodiesel that is going to be offered in the Grand Cherokee and also in th 1/2 ton Dodge Pickups in 2014.

Take a look at the F/DT record, and you'll see why it's in my daydreams.

Steve. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:53:56 AM by SteveM »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #489 on: March 15, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
Is VW quite big over there?. They are huge over here, almost every family has a VW somewhere and the racing scene is full of them. Lots of expert tuners here.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #490 on: March 15, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »
VW is not very popular in terms of market share.  It is more of a niche' player, offering several models with diesel drivetrains, which are a small minority of US passenger vehicle sales.

There is a good subculture of VW stuff, but the aftermarket and tuning popularity is dwarfed by GM products, Ford, and Chrysler.

The big benefit for me is that back in the late 70's and early 80's, Chrysler partnered with VW to supply drivetrains for many of the small front wheel drive offerings of the time.  That was before Chrysler debuted their own 2.2L 4-banger and associated drivetrain components.

The Chrysler stuff is similar to the VW designs in many ways, but generally won't bolt together with the VW goodies.  The key is knowing which models and years used VW components, and when the switch to Chrysler drivetrains took place.

I'm able to use "mostly" bolt-in components from the correct selection of vehicles to put this VW diesel drivetrain into my Rampage.  The front motor mount will have to be cut apart and modified for clearance around the injection pump, but the rest of the bracketry has been pulled from a variety of junkyard cars and trucks.

Steve

Offline Duck-Stew

« Reply #491 on: March 15, 2013, 10:09:02 AM »
Steve,

Been following this entire thread.  You're making awesome progress!  Hope to see this Rampage out on the salt in August!

All the best...  8-)
Team UnorthoDUX

Offline SteveM

« Reply #492 on: March 15, 2013, 01:48:48 PM »
Thanks Duck.  I can feel my internal clock ticking away on this project.  I'm just trying to get a little bit of something done every day.

Today, I ordered 4 heim joints and some fine-thread allthreaded rod to fabricate some adjustable shifter linkage pieces.

I also located another 4-speed transmission at a semi-local junkyard.  A friend of mine has volunteered to pick it up over the weekend.

Tonight, we have a Parish fish-fry.  When I get home from that, I'll probably spend most of the evening cleaning up the garage.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #493 on: March 15, 2013, 01:53:33 PM »

Pete

I may spend some time with a "grippy grabber", a magnet, a piece of baling wire, and whatever else I can think of to help me retrieve my beloved 15mm socket.  It's not a MAC, Snap-On, gold plated Campagnolo limited edition that's been blessed by the Pope, or anything like that (It's a Husky), but I loved it just the same.  Now there's an empty spot in the plastic case where she used to reside.  It's a sad situation.  Sure, I could buy a replacement socket, but that's like a replacement dog when your trusty companion passes away.  It's just not the same.

Steve, why don't you just wait till Gregg gets there and yall can just pick up the little beasty, give her a flip and shake it till the lost scoket appears on the floor. Say Hi to gregg for me and Amy.

Frank.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SteveM

« Reply #494 on: March 15, 2013, 02:01:06 PM »
Will do, Cap'n.