Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818114 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #390 on: March 01, 2013, 08:21:26 AM »
Yesterday afternoon was like Christmas Morning, when I have to pay for all the gifts.   :-D

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline tauruck

« Reply #391 on: March 01, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »
Shweeet!. Nice one Steve. Have one on me brother. You're going like a Boeing now. :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #392 on: March 01, 2013, 10:10:51 AM »
Don't know much about turbos, but I do know this - That should put a little bit more air in it!

Don't you just love shiny new race parts?  :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #393 on: March 01, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »
There's nothing quite as cool (or expensive) than shiny new racing parts, right out of the box.

The Rampage is back on its side, on the rotisserie, so that I can weld up a few  areas before prepping and painting the underside of the floorpan.  Then it's time for the suspension assembly onto the truck, and it's going back on the ground.  I'm ordering the suspension bushings today.

Then I'm moving onto the driveline mockup (including the turbo).  I'll be fabricating an exhaust header to put the turbo where I need it.

I just bought a secondhand intercooler and plumbing, mainly because the price was so low that it was worth the $$$ just for the tubing, silicone couplings, and clamps.  I'll sell off that intercooler and buy an air-to-water unit.

Gotta keep moving forward.
Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #394 on: March 01, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »
I could not pass all these goodies up for $100!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #395 on: March 01, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »
I could not pass all these goodies up for $100!

Park that thing in an ice water tank if you have room Steve.
  Sid.

Offline Tman

« Reply #396 on: March 01, 2013, 11:25:23 AM »
I'd be interested in the Intercooler Steve.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #397 on: March 01, 2013, 12:18:51 PM »
Why not just build a water tank around that intercooler?

Pete

Offline SteveM

« Reply #398 on: March 01, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »
I was planning to buy a purpose built air-to-water intercooler to fit in the area previously occupied by the battery.   The idea of putting that I/C into a water tank is interesting, though.  That thought had crossed my mind, but I haven't explored it. 

I haven't received that stash of parts yet.  When I get my hands on them, and work on the layout of the plumbing, I'll have a better idea of the available space.

If I don't use it, you have "dibs" on the I/C, Tman.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #399 on: March 01, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »
Why not just build a water tank around that intercooler?

Pete

Don't give him any ideas! :-D

Thanks Steve, if it works for you that is a heck of a deal.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #400 on: March 01, 2013, 01:55:11 PM »
Steve, since you have to run a normal cooling radiator, consider the air/air cooler in front of the rad, and downstream an air/water charge cooler where you had planned the original. Ice water tank in the bed of the truck, and its good to go. I used that compound type system on the Merk, and with water spray on the air/air, I found it to be VERY effective.

To keep it simple for this year, just do the air/air, while thinking about what change is next.  spray nozzles, air/water etc.

You can't put a value on GOOD AIR
Rick

Offline DND

« Reply #401 on: March 01, 2013, 02:04:30 PM »
Hi Stsve

In 70' i bought a set of Carrilo rods and the UPS guy asked why that little box cost just about a grand, so after paying i opened the box and showed him a rod.

He says you put those neat things in a racing engine, i say yes they are the best you can buy looking very special and each in a plastic bag as not to get scratched or dirty

Works of art they were and still are today, the one thing you could put in your engine and not have to touch them other than the rod numbers.

Don

Offline SteveM

« Reply #402 on: March 01, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
Steve, since you have to run a normal cooling radiator, consider the air/air cooler in front of the rad, and downstream an air/water charge cooler where you had planned the original. Ice water tank in the bed of the truck, and its good to go. I used that compound type system on the Merk, and with water spray on the air/air, I found it to be VERY effective.

To keep it simple for this year, just do the air/air, while thinking about what change is next.  spray nozzles, air/water etc.

You can't put a value on GOOD AIR

Rick:

That thought had crossed my mind - compound intercooling.   I was already planning an icewater tank in the bed (igloo cooler), with a livewell type pump circulating icewater to an air/water cooler.  Now my mind is swirling.

I need to get the engine/trans/turbo/radiator mocked up in the engine compartment so I can tell where there's any leftover room.  It's going to be several weeks before all that is figured out.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #403 on: March 01, 2013, 02:40:06 PM »
this stuff is constantly cirling in my mind.  There are so many options.  I want to give myself the best chance to be competitive against the existing record, without making my effort overly complex or overly expensive.  That's not too much to hope for, is it? :roll:

Steve

Offline Tman

« Reply #404 on: March 01, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
K.I.S.S. Steve.