Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 822275 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #315 on: January 22, 2013, 08:53:07 AM »
PS - thanks for the support, Greg.  As you know, I have taken a lot of ideas from your cage construction to get mine this far.

If there's anything I can do to help, just say the word.  If you want to make up some templates of brackets you might need, I'd be happy to cut them out for you.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #316 on: January 22, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »
Keep up the good work! That cage look great!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

gkabbt

« Reply #317 on: January 22, 2013, 06:33:57 PM »
PS - thanks for the support, Greg.  As you know, I have taken a lot of ideas from your cage construction to get mine this far.

If there's anything I can do to help, just say the word.  If you want to make up some templates of brackets you might need, I'd be happy to cut them out for you.

Steve.

Steve,

Many thanks for the offer on the brackets but I'm going to have my chassis guy do it.
I have been waiting on my tubular control arms since last October and hopefully (fingers crossed) they will be finished and to me in a couple of weeks. The control arms, tubular K-member and rear axle will go to my chassis guy for powder coating and I'll get him to do the brackets then.

The delay in the control arms has put me behind schedule on my truck (still up on jack stands with no front end under it) as I did not want to
"beef-up" the factory stamped k-member and control arms. I still have alot of work left to do and just keep plugging away.

Also, back at ya....If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Gregg
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:58:58 PM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #318 on: January 25, 2013, 08:56:52 AM »

This weekend, the cage is getting yanked out for painting (light machinery gray color).

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #319 on: January 27, 2013, 10:25:51 PM »
I like the way it looks in Ford 8N gray...

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #320 on: January 27, 2013, 10:31:03 PM »
Great looking job, Steve!!! Sure nice to be able to build it on the "bench" and then install.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #321 on: January 27, 2013, 11:00:23 PM »
Great looking job, Steve!!! Sure nice to be able to build it on the "bench" and then install.

Rex

Absolutely - you can get at all sides of the welds AND get a sharp coat of paint on all sides.

Let's hope you never have a reason to see if it works!  :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #322 on: January 28, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
Great looking cage, my pet peave is looking in a car and having the cage "fogged" with areas missing paint.

gkabbt

« Reply #323 on: January 28, 2013, 11:35:08 AM »
As other have said:

Great looking job, Steve!!!

Gregg

Offline DND

« Reply #324 on: January 28, 2013, 07:55:50 PM »
Hi Steve

Looks like a kit car build it on the bench and just put it together like a Erector set.

Very nice job and good color too.

Don

Offline SteveM

« Reply #325 on: January 29, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »
The cage (or parts of it) have probably been in and out of the truck 20 times, making sure of all the fitment details.  The "next" time should be the "last" time.

I have to thank the contributors of this board for the excellent advice regarding cutting the roof off the truck to ease the cage construction.  The roof has probably been off and on 10 times.  Those Clecos have paid for themselves many times over.

Being able to completely remove the cage from the truck for full welding has been indispensable.  I don't know how I could have welded all of the difficult-to see seams with the cage installed in the truck.  Thanks to everyone who suggested this approach!!!

Next on my list is to get some fire-proof caulking on the cab seams, paint the inside of the truck's cab (except for the locations where the cage feet will be welded, and get the cage welded in place.

Steve.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #326 on: February 03, 2013, 05:42:52 AM »
Steve, the chassis looks great. :cheers:

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #327 on: February 04, 2013, 01:57:52 PM »
Steve:

Nice work. Looks great. Your attention to detail will pay dividends. I have enjoyed following your build and I have learned a few things too.
Good luck and keep chipping away at the list.

Bill

:cheers:
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SHughes

• New folks
« Reply #328 on: February 07, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »
I love it Steve!!!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #329 on: February 07, 2013, 04:08:37 PM »
Thank you, guys.   The machine shop is virtually done with the engine machine work (we all know how that goes), then I've got to get onto the serious and difficult details of selecting a turbo to work with the displacement, cyl head, injection pump, intercooler, intake, etc.

I'm moving into new ground in terms of my knowledge, hoping to learn as much as possible as quickly as possible about getting this little engine to make the needed power at the needed rpms.

There are about a million things to get done between now and September, I just need to keep clicking them off.

Steve.