Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 821962 times)

gkabbt

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #285 on: November 27, 2012, 07:58:02 AM »
Steve,

Cage is looking VERY nice.

I'm considering doing a diagonal cross-bar from the passenger's side front to the driver's side rear, above the driver's head.  

Steve.

You might think about doing something like this:

Looks sorta complicated but I like it.

Keep up the good work.....You're getting there.

Gregg
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:00:43 AM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #286 on: January 14, 2013, 01:26:31 PM »
I thought I'd post a few pics to show the current state of the roll cage.  By the end of January, the cage needs to be welded into the truck, have the rear support bars welded in place, and get the roof of the truck welded back together.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #287 on: January 14, 2013, 01:37:54 PM »
Wow, looks great., but isn't building in outside of the "truck" cheating? It looks way to easy :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SteveM

« Reply #288 on: January 14, 2013, 01:52:24 PM »
The tough part is lifting it in and out of the truck for test fitting purposes. :-o
It's a snug fit, and it's pretty darn heavy.

I'm guessing that it's in the 300# + range right now, and the dash has been "dimpled" for clearance of the A-pillar bars when installing and removing.  With any luck, the next time it goes into the cab of the truck will be the last time it goes into the cab of the truck.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #289 on: January 14, 2013, 02:08:00 PM »
Looks good Steve.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #290 on: January 14, 2013, 02:26:12 PM »
More bars than Milwaukee!

I'd feel quite safe in either one of these.

Well done, guys!

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #291 on: January 14, 2013, 04:51:45 PM »
Steve, the cage looks great!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #292 on: January 14, 2013, 05:20:11 PM »
Steve,
Since you are getting close to mating your cage into the truck for keeps I have a suggestion regarding the plates that you will weld to the truck structure. The rules call for a 1/4 inch plate, which I , and many others, contend it just asking for the 1/4 plate to shear its way through the .035 body metal in a roll over. I know that you have replaced many of the interior body panels with .062 which is a great plus. What I have done on a car that I am putting a cage in right now is to start with a 1/8 inch plate that is much larger than the required area/periferal dimensions as defined by the rule book and then add an aditional 1/8 plate to the rule book required size on top of that and this is the plate that the cage is welded to. This gets you a couple of things. 1) You can form the 1/8 plate to fit into corners and over edges and it will better tie the cage support plate into the cars structure. 2) Welding 1/8 to /.039 ( the car I am doing is a Porsche 914 and the body parts are 1 mm) is much easier and the weld quality is better plus then welding the final 1/8 plate to the sub plate is a snap. I discussed this with Kiwi Steve, the SCTA inspector for cages and he says that this approach exceeds the rule book requirement. It is obviously double work but personally it just makes a lot more sense to me and the cage I am doing is for a close friend and I don't want to compromise his safety.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #293 on: January 14, 2013, 06:00:25 PM »
Rex - the approach you describe sounds similar to what I'm trying to achieve.  In the front section, between the "frame rail" and the rocker panel, there is 1/8" thick steel sheet already in place.  The foot-plates for the cage are 1/4", as required by the rules.  the fit at those locations is pretty good between the 1/4" and the 1/8" steel (both surfaces are flat), and there is a lot of reinforcement in that area.  I agree with your analysis, it's not a good idea to weld 1/4" directly to the 0.060" if possible.

I hadn't previously considered the possibility of using 2 thicknesses of 1/8" steel to achieve the 1/4" overall thickness however.

At the rear section (intersection of rear floor and inner "cab corners", I have repaired the previous rust with overlapping sections of 0.062" thick pieces).  My intention is to weld the 1/4" foot plates onto the cage first, and use 1/8" thick material to tie the 1/4" to the 0.062" material in this rear area, where the curvature is more difficult to match.

With a little bit of torch and hammer work, the 1/8" steel is fairly easy to beat back into the corners of the truck cab structure, as you have described.

Even though the existing record for the class I'm chasing is under 110 mph, I have dreams of running even faster in years to come.  Safety First!!!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #294 on: January 14, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »
PS - I have always wanted a Porsche 914.

gkabbt

« Reply #295 on: January 14, 2013, 08:08:52 PM »
Steve,

Will say it once more.....Cage is looking VERY, VERY nice. You do good work.  :cheers:

My chassis guy originally had done the anchor plates on my cage out of 1/8".
When we took it to Maxton to have Joe Timney look it over, the only thing he found wrong were the plates and he said they needed to be 1/4". Another 1/8" plate was added so I should be good to go.
If you look closely at the 1st picture at the top of this page (post #285), you can just make out the passenger side front plate.

Your getting there!

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #296 on: January 14, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »
More bars than Milwaukee!

Chris

Chris,

That right there my friend is some funny Chit!!!  :-D  :-D  :-D

I'd feel quite safe in either one of these.

Well done, guys!

Chris

Many thanks for the kind words. I know I will feel safe in mine and it looks like Steve will feel the same in his.

Gregg

Offline AJR192

« Reply #297 on: January 15, 2013, 01:20:21 PM »
You may want to consider painting the areas of the cockpit that will not be reachable before you put the roof back on. They are alot easier to get to beforehand. Salt and high humidity will eventually find any exposed metal. Plus it makes for a much neater appearance.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #298 on: January 15, 2013, 04:07:38 PM »
Good thinking, regarding the paint before putting th roof back together.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #299 on: January 21, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
I didn't get as much done as I wanted over the weekend, but when do we ever???

I got the seat mounting brackets and lower belt mounting brackets worked out.  Here are some pics...

The seat "pan" is secured with 4 flat-head grade 8 bolts which are countersunk into aluminum stringer washers (boat-rigging stuff) to spread the load.  On the underside, 2" x 1/8" steel mounting tabs are welded directly to the roll cage structure.

The offset bolt pattern was necessary so that the rear mounting points would clear the under-seat bars.

The mounting bracket for the lap belts is located along a 45 degree line, intersecting the center of the belt openings in the seat. 

The width of the lap belt mounting bracket match the width of the seat.