Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818278 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #225 on: October 17, 2012, 11:04:25 PM »
You could have cleaned out two garages during that rain delay.  :cheers:

I've worn my Cub fandom on my sleeve for years, but I simply can't develop any animosity toward the Redbirds.  I was worried when the Professor retired, but last Friday's game made my jaw drop.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #226 on: October 17, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »
The Cardinals develop a lot of momentum when they start winning games, especially in the post-season.  They expect to win.  The fans expect it, the players expect it, the coaches and management expect it.  It's not a surprise when they win, it just feels right.  Only the NY Yankees have more World Championships than StL.

That being said, last Friday's game was above and beyond what we normally expect.  It goes to show that you should never give up, just keep trying to meet your goals.  The power of positive thinking was in full effect.

Enough baseball, now I have to find a little time to notch 1 more tube and get the seat support bars bent while I'm at my day job tomorrow.  Maybe I can get that stuff done at lunchtime if I'm quick about it.

Steve.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Tman

« Reply #227 on: October 18, 2012, 12:12:13 AM »
Those lunchtime jobs are the most rewarding! When they work that is.

gkabbt

« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2012, 06:29:41 AM »
Steve and Tony,
Thanks for the explanation on what the collapsible unit needs to be.....I think I "got it". As I said before, uncharted waters.
It does make sense and I will be doing this a little further down the road when my truck is nearing completion.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #229 on: October 18, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »
Lunchtime was not as productive as I had hoped, but I did manage to get 4 bends made, for the under-seat support bars.  One end of each bar was pre-notched.  The other ends will probably get notched on Saturday.

gkabbt

« Reply #230 on: October 19, 2012, 06:42:27 AM »
Steve,
Forget my phone call.....Engine had been sold.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #231 on: October 19, 2012, 08:55:49 AM »
No problem, Gregg.  If that shop ever has parts that you want me to check out, I'd be happy to swing by.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #232 on: October 20, 2012, 10:36:11 AM »
I got another little nibble done last night - a dry fit of the crossbar which spans from sill bar to sill bar, and the seat support bars.  As recommended earlier, I went with the same size tubing as the rest of the cage - 1-5/8" x 0.134".

On another note, I liked the sheetmetal treatment in Tony's most recent post (Audi DTM car) between the cage and the body.  I'm starting to have visions.  I think I'll do some web surfing about dimple dies.

Steve.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #233 on: October 20, 2012, 11:50:39 AM »
IOn another note, I liked the sheetmetal treatment in Tony's most recent post (Audi DTM car) between the cage and the body.  I'm starting to have visions.  I think I'll do some web surfing about dimple dies.

Steve,

Ck out the die sets @ Summit Equiptment.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »
Steve, On the Firebird we are guesting both the "A and B" pillars and the horizontal bar by the rocker.  I bought some of my dies from Mittler Brothers http://www.mittlerbros.com/index.php/mittler-bros/punch-flares-punches.html  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

gkabbt

« Reply #235 on: October 21, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »
No problem, Gregg.  If that shop ever has parts that you want me to check out, I'd be happy to swing by.

Steve.

Thanks for the offer and will do.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #236 on: October 21, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »
I got some more cuttin', fittin', and tackin' done over the weekend.....

That's all for now, folks....

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #237 on: October 22, 2012, 09:24:13 AM »
Steve,
If you're not careful you might end up with an all out race truck.....LOL!!!  :-D
As usual, progress is looking VERY good. Kinda sorta looks familiar too.  :evil:

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #238 on: October 22, 2012, 09:34:51 AM »
Gregg:
    I'm not ashamed to admit to copying the design of your cage (where I can).  It's much easier to look at an existing design than to try to figure it all out for myself.

So far, if I remove the roof, I can still get the entire cage out of the car for full welding.  That's my plan.  I think I can do all of the cage welding out of the truck, with the exception of the under-dash bar, the rear supports, and possibly the A-pillar bars.  Cutting the roof off the truck has made the cage construction MUCH easier, and I think the end result will be far superior than if I had tride to fab it with the roof on.

One more pic for now, showing the 20 degree "economy" Kirkey set in place.  This is what I'm trying to get worked out (seating position and back angle)

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #239 on: October 22, 2012, 09:35:39 AM »
I've fully given up on the dual-purpose street and race vehicle.  I'm "All In".