Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818177 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2012, 01:32:35 PM »
Steve, we went with enamel- my car has about $96 of paint on it!

Looks good from 20ft, looks REAL good over 100 mph!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SteveM

« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »
Enamel it is, then. :-D   Cheap and straightforward to shoot.

Here are a few more pics, as I'm continuing to nibble away, laying out and cutting pieces for the roll cage.

Just getting things figured out in this pic above.

This is how the dash bar and dash uprights will lay out.

I spent some time this morning cutting and notching tubes.   If I can find some more time over the weekend, I'll start tacking some of this together.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Tman

« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2012, 05:17:51 PM »
Looks good Steve, if you go enamel, use hardener, it helps a ton for durability!

And the bike rode great. Just did a few miles in town with a zip around one of our cyclocross courses. Needs two more teeth on the freewheel.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #198 on: October 15, 2012, 09:54:22 AM »
Trent - I went out for a 'cross ride with my wife yesterday afternoon, instead of racing in the local series.  Time spent with the family = happy family.

I also got some more work done on the truck, fitting tubes, getting some tack-welds laid in, and test fitting the steering column and seat.

this is the initial fit-up of the drivers side footwell.

Dash bar on the passenger's side.

passenger's side footwell.

Driver's side rear.

Driver's side rear after tacking.

View of the main hoop from the back side.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #199 on: October 15, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
A few more photos from yesterday....

This is the seat I'm using for the mock-up.  In this photo, the seat is sitting way too high.  This position is much too high, but it was a starting point.  I ended up changing to wooden blocks to get the seat position more realistic.

This is an "economy" road racing seat.  I'm not planning to use it - keeping my eyes open for a nice full containment seat.

After bolting the steering column into the stock location.  I think I will end up dropping the column about 2", and probably finding a slightly smaller steering wheel, on a quick disconnect hub.  The seat is probably too far forward in this photo.  The helmet is not Snell 2005 approved, either.

Same thing, from another angle.

Making engine noises and pretending to run through the gears.

gkabbt

« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »
Progress is looking GREAT Steve!!!!!   :cheers:

A few things to maybe help:

Be sure to put a plate behind the ends of the dash bar.....Gives anchor support (kinda hard to see till I can get a better pic).

Your seat bars will need to be bent like mine in order to lower the seat:

My steering column is dropped about two inches as well:

I have a 13" flat aluminum Speedway Motors steering wheel with a Woodward splined quick disconnect (hex was to sloppy for my liking).

Also, be sure to add tabs / gussets on the top bar intersections:

Finally, it's always fun making engine noises and going through the gears :lol: .....I also include the sound of the chute opening as well  :-D.

Gregg
P.S.
Let me know if I can help with any questions you may have.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:04:41 PM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #201 on: October 15, 2012, 01:25:37 PM »
Gregg:
   Thanks for the post.  Yes, the ends of the dash bar will have some 1/8" plate welded to the inside of the "upper kick panel" area where the ends of the bar will attach.  I'm stealing a lot of the ideas from your cage.  I figure since yours was built by a professional chassis shop, it's a good idea to follow their lead.

I will also be bending the seat support bars, like yours, in order to get the seat down lower.  I'm not sure how much lower I really need to go - how tall are you?

The gussets are definitely on the checklist of To-Do items.  I think I can get the cage mostly tacked together, except for the A-pillar bars, and still be able to pull the cage out of the truck for full-seam welding.  Then when it goes back in for the last time, it will get welded to the floor and the upper kick panels, and I'll fab the rear support bars which will go into the bed.

One more question for you - what kind of seat are you using (brand & degrees layback if you don't mind)?  The 20 degree seat that I've been using for fitment seems like it's a bit too much of a layback to me.

Thanks again,

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »
Gregg:
   Thanks for the post.  Yes, the ends of the dash bar will have some 1/8" plate welded to the inside of the "upper kick panel" area where the ends of the bar will attach.  I'm stealing a lot of the ideas from your cage.  I figure since yours was built by a professional chassis shop, it's a good idea to follow their lead.
Sounds good and 1/8" is what I have.
Also, one of the main things about build diaries is helping others :wink:

I will also be bending the seat support bars, like yours, in order to get the seat down lower.  I'm not sure how much lower I really need to go - how tall are you?
6'3" and 235ish lbs. I would guess my bars are bent down about 2". I am very happy with the seat height.

The gussets are definitely on the checklist of To-Do items.  I think I can get the cage mostly tacked together, except for the A-pillar bars, and still be able to pull the cage out of the truck for full-seam welding.  Then when it goes back in for the last time, it will get welded to the floor and the upper kick panels, and I'll fab the rear support bars which will go into the bed.
Sounds good.....I just wanted to make sure the tabs / gussets were on your radar.
Do your down tubes like my guy did and put a bar under the bed for the down tubes to attach to. This also makes for a good anchor for the push bar / parachute mount.

One more question for you - what kind of seat are you using (brand & degrees layback if you don't mind)?  The 20 degree seat that I've been using for fitment seems like it's a bit too much of a layback to me.
It's a Kirkey Layback Containment that I got from Speedway Motors 2 years ago for around $700. If I remember correctly it is 20 degree and with my 6'3" 235ish lump, fits me well

Thanks again,

Steve.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:25:04 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #203 on: October 16, 2012, 07:00:41 AM »
Steve, One thing to note about the seat you end up with......Easy access.

When I started down this path of my Rampage build the left head support rule did not exist so this is what I'm doing on my Kirkey seat.  It is aluminum with a steel insert and will have a quick release pip pin to pull down and let it swing out of the way. Still minior tweaking to do and then final welding and padding will be done.
Also notice that I have a 4" inch extention on the steering wheel disconnect. The combination of the swing out head support and the steering wheel extention give me plenty of room for ingress / egress.

As usual, hope this helps,
Gregg
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 07:04:22 AM by gkabbt »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #204 on: October 16, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »

When I started down this path of my Rampage build the left head support rule did not exist so this is what I'm doing on my Kirkey seat.  It is aluminum with a steel insert and will have a quick release pip pin to pull down and let it swing out of the way. Still minior tweaking to do and then final welding and padding will be done.

Special note on that.  I went out to World Finals and watched a number of inspections, paying close attention to the lateral restraints in particular.  Here's what the inspector was looking for.

They are going to assume that the harness stretches and that your body will pivot forward at the waist.  They're looking for helmet containment at that arc.

Gregg, I'm no inspector, but I think yours looks okay.  I'd get in, make a few "vroom vroom" noises with my brain bucket on, and lean forward just to check. 

I'm going to start calling you guys, "The Rampage Brothers".  This is a great study, seeing two identical doorslammers being built on these pages during the same time period.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #205 on: October 16, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »
Just a quick update - I'm on the verge of buying an Ultrashield VS Halo seat with the "Bonneville" SCTA compliant halo.  This is a new-ish lateral restraint option for the Ultrashield seats. (so new it's not on their website, but if you call them, they can build a seat with that halo).

I'll probably get it ordered within the next day or so.

Steve.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #206 on: October 16, 2012, 02:59:57 PM »
From what I've seen the last few years with closed body cars you may need 4 or 500 more feet of tubing in there. :-D........Honestly it looks great to me but recently what the "h" do I know. I'm glad my roadster gets thru  . . . . . . JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline SteveM

« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2012, 03:09:45 PM »
My plan is to keep welding tubes in place until I run out of tubing.  I think I started with about 200', and I still have some in stock, so I know I'm nowhere near done yet.  :wink:

Gregg - I like the 4" extension on the steering shaft - that's another good idea for ingress/egress room.  I may have to borrow that idea also.  If I can get in & out of the truck with the "Bonneville" halo installed, I'll consider myself fortunate.  Otherwise, I'll have to come up with some kind of hinged arrangement like you are describing.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »
From what I've seen the last few years with closed body cars you may need 4 or 500 more feet of tubing in there. :-D........Honestly it looks great to me but recently what the "h" do I know. I'm glad my roadster gets thru  . . . . . . JD

Yeah, if your helmet passes through the door eaisly to hole is too big!

I honestly don't know how Tim gets in and out of his truck. I am 3" shorter and 30 pounds lighter and it is a slither.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2012, 03:20:37 PM »
Steve,

You might look at a Kirkey seat. Half the price, and comfortable. Wish you weren't 4.5 hours away from the car, so that you could sit in it and see for yourself!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c