Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 821966 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2012, 01:41:22 PM »
That looks good, Gregg.  I was hoping to do something similar, but with square tubing instead of round (ease of fabrication, I don't have smaller dies for my bender).

Also, is your shoulder bar set at the correct height?  I don't have my rulebook handy, and was trying to remember the requirements for the shoulder bar in relation to the top of the driver's shoulders, and the slots in the seat.

Steve.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:11:43 PM by SteveM »
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2012, 06:01:21 PM »
Shoulder bar is just a little low but still meets the rule. I need to trim the belt opening in my seat for the belts to be at the correct angle.

Gregg

Offline Tman

« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2012, 06:20:55 PM »
Steve, those are easy bends with a jig or even a receiver hitch. Just get creative. Also, confirm the tubing diameter with a tech guy like Nate. AFAIK they prefer the same diameter seat supports as the rest of the tubing. An even of a hard hit the smaller diameter stuff HAS bent downward. This is from some of my conversations, confirm for your own piece of mind.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #168 on: October 09, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »
I agree that the seat support rails need to be as strong as the rest of the cage.  I think I'll go with the same 1-5/8" tubing as used for the rest of the cage.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #169 on: October 10, 2012, 01:33:31 PM »
I got a couple of door sill bars bent during my lunch hour.  If I can keep moving forward, I should have some of the cage tacked into place by the weekend.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #170 on: October 10, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »
Steve:

Looking good, cutting the roof will make the cage go in so much faster. With the roof on you spend so much time trying to crawl in and out.

For those real hard to reach places where your welding helmet gets in the way... I saw a guy take a black Nomex head sock he made a thin aluminum fram to hold a auto dark welding glass out of an old helmet. He sewed and hot glued the welding glass to the head sock. He could then stick his head through the bars to tack and weld the real tight places then switch beck to his helmet when he had the space. It worked pretty good.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #171 on: October 10, 2012, 06:11:43 PM »
You can actually buy a leather head sock with the lens assembly already built in at most real welding supply stores.

Pete

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #172 on: October 10, 2012, 07:48:08 PM »
Peter Jack

I have seen them but there are $50 or more. It has been my experience the people on this forum like the other "B" word...build instead of buy. I have a few extra head socks and at least three welding helmets that I don't use or like anymore. Just saying. Lord knows I have bought stuff I could have built just because I had no time.

Anyway, either way works. You can really get in thight spots and see your weld puddle when it is just your head and not the helmet.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #173 on: October 10, 2012, 07:59:56 PM »
I often weld for a living and I don't own one. Just trying to show the available alternatives.  :-D :-D :-D

I'd probably buy one because when I'd need it, I'd need it now. That's the way things work when you're trying to scrounge out a living. I actually encourage people to  make home brewed solutions when it suits their purposes. The more ingenious you are, probably the more successful you'll be at racing.

Pete

Offline SteveM

« Reply #174 on: October 10, 2012, 08:06:56 PM »
I have actually used one of those small green "gas torch" type goggles, that only covers the eyes by replacing the shaded lens in tight situations.  That type of goggle uses the same small rectangular shades as an "old school" welding mask.  I'm not saying it's the safest solution anyone has ever come up with, but by putting in a #10 shade, it works pretty well.

Steve.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2012, 12:07:39 AM »
It does Steve, as far as protecting your eyes, but once you've had one of those deep purple sunburns and you hear the stories about melanoma it's unlikely you'll do it again.

Pete

Offline SteveM

« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »
Good point, Peter.  I do have a balaclava type headsock that I could probably seal to the outside of the cutting goggles with tape and/or glue.  I'll put that on the list of things to do before I jam my head into some tight crevasse and start welding.

On another note, I decided that I had better put the following note in writing...  One one of my friends, who has been helping me with this project, has been telling me that I should paint this thing before I finish putting it back together.  I think I have made the mental leap to paint the Rampage in the Mopar "Sub Lime" color.  This is the super bright 1970 Dodge/Plymouth lime green color.  Now that it's in writing, I stand a much better chance of following through with the paint job.

Steve.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #177 on: October 11, 2012, 01:21:22 PM »
And it's high time I come down and see it in person.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline SteveM

« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »
For sure, Max.  I'm hoping to get a good work session in on Sunday (tacking in roll cage tubes, cutting other tubes, etc.)  You have an open invitation to make the short drive (35 minutes, tops, from door to door).  I'm also hungry for suggestions on things that might work better, safer, easier, cheaper, whatever.

I'm pretty booked up on Saturday, but should get some time on Sunday.  I don't yet know whether the work session will be early or later in the day.

Steve.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2012, 03:40:14 PM »
Now that it's in writing, I stand a much better chance of following through with the paint job.

Steve.

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Steve, the more you put it out there, the more difficult it is to back away.  That's why I keep my diary so active - it requires me to follow through - it's a reminder that what we're doing is bigger than just us.

I was down to Max's last July - I wish I had known you were that close.  I've owned 2 Rampages, and would love to see the progress in person.

So you're thinking WOS next year?  Let's see if we both can't have wheels on the salt next September.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: