Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818328 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2012, 08:24:18 AM »
That was attempted, but it just didn't look right.  The lighting, shadows, etc. made it look too much "cut and paste".

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2012, 08:18:51 PM »

Hmmmm, kinda sorta looks familiar....LOL.
That pic looks almost perfect but you need to get rid of the rear bumper and add on some kind of air dam (they were an over the counter part so I'm thinking it would be legal for you to run in DT).
Also, when you get it running you need to get over to the ECTA in Wilmington, OH. I was there this past weekend and the facilities are incredible.

Gregg
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 08:30:25 PM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2012, 09:16:16 PM »
Yes, for sure on the rear bumper delete.  I'm not sure on the air dam being legal in DT, which is basically per the Gas Coupe rules.  If a Direct Connection / Mopar Performance front air dam is legal, that would definitely be a bonus. 

I'm still looking for a set of DC/MP headlight covers, as well.

Steve.

PS - I'm not the one with the photoshop skills, I had some help in that department.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2012, 09:17:20 PM »
Ohio would be a definite possibility, also.

gkabbt

« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2012, 05:12:55 AM »
Yes, for sure on the rear bumper delete.  I'm not sure on the air dam being legal in DT, which is basically per the Gas Coupe rules.  If a Direct Connection / Mopar Performance front air dam is legal, that would definitely be a bonus. 

I'm still looking for a set of DC/MP headlight covers, as well.

Steve.

Steve,
Send and email to Mike Manghelli (Truck chair) and get a ruling on the DC (same as Shelby Chargers) air dam as I think it would be legal in GC.
Also, how about changing your truck over to an 83 and buy the last set of headlight DC covers off of ebay from the place I got mine?
http://www.mmpar.com/StoreVBVS2011/default.aspx?CategoryID=24&selection=8
Just saying it might be easier to do that than spend years trying to find the 84 DC headlight covers.

Gregg

P.S. Photoshop still looks cool who ever did it.

gkabbt

« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2012, 05:17:01 AM »
Ohio would be a definite possibility, also.

You will love this place as everyone did this past weekend. Absolutely incredible facility and Joe and Keith told us last October that the runway is only 4 years old. It will be about a 9 hour tow for me and probably a lot less for you so make plans.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »
Google says 7 hours 20 minutes to Wilmington, OH from here, which is definitely do-able.  How long is the runway?  a 1.5L diesel powered Rampage is not exactly going to be a dragster.

The swap-over to an '83 front end has always been interesting to me.  I think that a hood swap and new "nose job" would complete the package.   I haven't investigated deep enough into the rules to see what is needed.  I know that guys have "changed" front ends on Camaro's, etc. and had them declared as different model years than their VIN's declare. 

The '84 factory nose is allegedly more slippery than the previous nose, but I haven't seen any real wind tunnel testing to confirm that assertion.  With the addition of a Shelby air dam and headlight covers, I suspect the '83 nose would be quite a bit better than a stock '84.  I'm also not sure if an '83 style air dam will work directly on an '84.

So many questions....

I also thought there was some language in the rulebook (don't have it in front of me) about not being allowed to declare that a vehicle was a different model year than what it is originally declared to be, however.  I'm really not up to speed on how this is done.

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »
Google says 7 hours 20 minutes to Wilmington, OH from here, which is definitely do-able.  How long is the runway?  a 1.5L diesel powered Rampage is not exactly going to be a dragster.

You are about 1 1/2 hours closer than me. Total length is 1.7 miles. 1 mile to run and .7 to whoa.

The swap-over to an '83 front end has always been interesting to me.  I think that a hood swap and new "nose job" would complete the package.   I haven't investigated deep enough into the rules to see what is needed.  I know that guys have "changed" front ends on Camaro's, etc. and had them declared as different model years than their VIN's declare. 

I too remember reading that folks have changed year models but am unsure of exactly what the rules state.

The '84 factory nose is allegedly more slippery than the previous nose, but I haven't seen any real wind tunnel testing to confirm that assertion.  With the addition of a Shelby air dam and headlight covers, I suspect the '83 nose would be quite a bit better than a stock '84.  I'm also not sure if an '83 style air dam will work directly on an '84.

If I remember correctly on this the only change Dodge made was at the top of the fender by the windshield.....It is angled slightly more than the 83. I would think if you had the 83 nose, the air dam would bolt into place without any changes. I may be way off base on this but I think the 84 hood would work with the 83 nose. If my truck were here I could do some measuring but it is still at Rod Crafters. I am thinking like you that the headlight covers and air dam would be a little slicker than the 84 nose. I did look in the rule book and air dams are acceptable on GC's.

So many questions....

I also thought there was some language in the rulebook (don't have it in front of me) about not being allowed to declare that a vehicle was a different model year than what it is originally declared to be, however.  I'm really not up to speed on how this is done.

Sorry, I cannot help you here.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »
I'll try to learn some more about potential model year changes just to keep my options open.  Gregg - I'm 96% sure that the hoods are different.  Take a look at the profile of the hood between the headlights.  The '83 and prior have a much more pronounced rise in elevation from the center portion of the hood to the area that rises up to follow the headlight profile. 

The '84 and up models (except for the Shelby's, which kept the earlier style front end), have a less pronounced "step" between the headlight elevation and the center portion of the hood.

If you have an older DC/MP catalog, would you mind taking a look to see if there is an airdam specifically designated for the '84 and up models?

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #129 on: May 03, 2012, 11:01:57 AM »
The only thing I really knew about was the fender. I got a passenger fender from an 84 and it did not fit my 83 because of the angle at the windshield.

I'll look in my DC catalog for the air dam when I get home tonight.

Why are you on landracing.com when you should be working?.....LOL

Gregg

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2012, 12:00:51 PM »
Steve, driving time was 6.5 hours from Webster Groves via I-70 to Indy and dropping south, time changes at the Ohio border.  I gotta get down and see your build before it's finished.  No, I'm no source of info on a car build.  Form, not function, that's me.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

gkabbt

« Reply #131 on: May 03, 2012, 07:41:39 PM »
If you have an older DC/MP catalog, would you mind taking a look to see if there is an airdam specifically designated for the '84 and up models?

Steve.

Here is the air dam description from my 1985 DC/MP catalog
http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad318/GKABBT/Gregg%20Adams%20Land%20Speed%20Rampage/?action=view&current=SteveMAirDam.jpg
(had to use the HTTP link because the picture was displaying upside down)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, from what I read, it looks like you are SOL for your 84 model on the DC spoiler.

Here is an idea if you want to keep it 1984. I took these pictures in Wilmington this past weekend of a really nice spoiler design:

Again, from the way I read it in the rule book, I think something like this would be legal in GC.

Gregg
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:56:58 PM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2012, 12:19:20 AM »
Thanks for the link and the pics.  It's too late at night for me to go digging in the rulebook right now.

My memory tells me that a fabricated air dam like the one shown on that Camaro would not be allowed for DT classes which are based on the GC rules.

I would like to see the difference in profile between the pre-84 DC air dams and the profile of the '84 front bumper.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2012, 12:53:07 AM »
I couldn't rest without doing a little research.  A fabbed air dam appears to be legal for DT / GC but has to meet some guidelines like not extending more than 1/4 inch past the leading edge of the factory bumper, not extending back past the factory wheel well opening, and not blocking off the grille opening.

I think I could come up with something that would work within the rules.

If I can come up with a set of those MP headlight covers, then I'd really be cookin.

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2012, 05:28:04 AM »
And Steve, that is why I posted a picture ot thast Camaro's air  dam. Just fab up something like that but going straight down.

This is the only picture I have of the Four shifts and Grins Rampage and they appeared to do something very similiar to what you need.

I really wonder if making it an 83 model would be simpler for you?
Headlight covers are available on eBay. The 83 nose and air dam with side extentions are fairly easy to come by on the Turbo Mopar board. Just saying!

Gregg

P.S.
Got your PM. I'll give you a call sometime this weekend.