Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818125 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 10:28:44 AM »
A couple of better pics of the trucklet as-recieved (I spent quite a bit of time uploading photos to my Photobucket account yesterday).

If I had any decent Photoshop skills, I could slam it on the ground, scab on some Moon disks, and have a decent approximation of what it will look like after a lot of the work is completed.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline dw230

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 11:27:28 AM »
Make sure you save those 'before' photos to put in your log book.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline tortoise

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »
I've never  understood why this and the Rabbits are SCTA legal in  truck classes but Rancheros and El Caminos aren't.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 12:49:13 PM »
One of life's great mysteries.  I think I understand the history, but not the reasoning.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SteveM

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 02:30:22 PM »
I have no idea about how the various vehicles have been classed over the years.  As long as the rules don't change before I can get to the salt, at least I know that I'll be within the rules.

On another topic - I just had lunch with a local VW racer (drag racing and autocross).  One of the topics that came up was his recommendation that I might want to consider running an automatic transmission.   He has been using one in his VW drag car (runs in the 10's), and says that his car will run quicker and faster with the automatic, as he can stay "on the boost" the entire run.   What do you guys think about this possibility for getting the most out of a turbo diesel application?

I know that in the Mercedes turbodiesel world, the only 2.5 Turbo Diesel cars brought to the USA were all automatics.  Many people say that these cars are quicker and faster than the Euro versions which were available with 5-speeds, due to the same effect (being able to stay under boost while under accelleration).  I have a Mercedes 190 2.5 Turbo Diesel, which I have swapped a 5-speed into.  I think there is something to this effect, as I have to lift momentarily to shift between gears. 

Would an automatic with manual valve body be worth considering?

Steve.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 02:41:11 PM »
Steve, here's an interesting comment about diesel engines and the pause between gears (if there is a pause):

The company that bought me out three or four years ago runs International trucks with 6-speed automatic trannys.  I've driven them a couple of times, just putting the gear lever into "D" and get going.  Between each of the gears, though, there is a pause - that sounds about the same length as the pause would be for a well-trained driver on a manual transmission.  It's programmed into the trans, I believe.  I've never ask a mechanic about the pause.  But there is one, and that would lay a dark cloud over your "keep it on the boost" theory.  Maybe it's only for larger engines/trucks.

I know that more and more semi tractors these days are equipped with automatic trans, some only for going back and forth between the two top gears (hilly highways, for instance), and some are advertised as fully automatic.  End of this digression.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SteveM

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 10:55:37 AM »
With respect to the chassis/cage construction, it has been suggested that I might be better off to cut the entire floor out of the truck, from door sill to door sill, and start fresh with the chassis/cage construction, as opposed to trying to weld into the existing floor.

As far as the transmission question, that decision still lays down the road a bit, but it's interesting to think about.

As I ponder this issue of chassis/cage construction, I'm definitely seeing the logic behind cutting out the entire floor and starting fresh.   Other opinons?

Steve.

Offline JR529

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 11:49:54 AM »
I've never  understood why this and the Rabbits are SCTA legal in  truck classes but Rancheros and El Caminos aren't.

They are not legal in all truck classes, just the "mid-mini" truck classes.

When the rule declaring Rancheros and El Caminos to not be full size trucks was made there was no mid-mini truck class to put them in. You were either a full size truck or a coupe/sedan, no 3rd option. so they were dumped there.

I think Rancheros and El Caminos should be allowed to compete as Mid-Mini pickups just like Rabbit pickups and Rampages but nobody has ever submitted that rule change request.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:19:04 PM by JR529 »

Offline tortoise

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »
Rabbits race in "Diesel Truck".

Offline SteveM

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 03:42:50 PM »
Rabbit Pickups. (also called Caddy's in the VW world).

Offline dw230

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 04:06:56 PM »
Not all of them race in the DT classes.

BONNEVILLE  NATIONAL CAR RECORDS

Blown Modified Mid-Mini Pickup - /BMMP
G   White Goose Bar Racing   K. Pedersen   08/11   194.520
Production Mid/Mini Pickup - /PMP     
G      White Goose Bar Racing/Sloan   
K. Pedersen   08/08   129.694

EL MIRAGE CAR RECORDS

Blown Modified Mid-Mini Pickup - /BMMP
F   White Goose bar Racing   K. Pederson   05/10   162.910
G       White Goose Bar Racing   K. Pedersen   11/11   168.916
Modified Mid-Mini Pickup - /MMP 
H       White Goose Bar Racing   M. Manghelli   05/07   114.661
Production Mid-Mini Pickup - /P/MP 
G       White Goose Bar Racing   R. Yacoucci   09/08   123.007

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline JR529

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 05:48:43 PM »
Rabbits race in "Diesel Truck".

Yep, you are right. I should have clarified by saying they are not legal in the full size pickup truck classes (PP, MP & BMP) which is where the Rancheros and El Caminos mentioned earlier are specifically prohibited from running. I thought that's what we were talking about.

Offline dw230

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 09:22:24 PM »
You are correct too JR. I was helping the fans.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Tman

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 11:48:14 PM »
You are correct too JR. I was helping the fans.

DW

You have fans now Dan? Thats progression from the usual internet stalkers! :-D :-)

Offline SteveM

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2011, 10:42:53 AM »
Regarding cage construction and the factory floorpan, are there any rules of thumb regarding how much of the original floorpan needs to stay intact in order to meet the requirements for various production classes.   I have sent an email to the rules coordinator at SCTA-BNI, but it never hurts to solicit opinions here, either. 

Since the rules require all factory body panels, mounted in original locations, what can be done about the floorpan(s) with respect to cage construction.  Since I already have holes rusted through both footwells, does it seem OK to weld in some subframe connectors and then patch the missing areas of floorpan with common flat steel sheet, bent into approximately the same as original shape?

That would be much easier than trying to find a set of virgin floorpans for one of these cars.  To my knowledge, there are no reproduction pans available, and almost all of the original ones are rusted.

One of the other suggestions was to cut away the entire floorpan, build the cage, drop the body over the cage, and then re-construct the floor, using a combination of the original floorpan and fabricated steel sheet.  Anybody want to hazard a guess whether or not this is allowable for production-based vehicles?

My mind is open, and I'm hungry for ideas.

Steve.