Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818127 times)

Offline Rick Byrnes

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 11:20:26 PM »
Steve
The Merkur lowering was limited by the front crossmember which I chose to not replace.  It would have required dry sump and shallow pan and I just wasn't prepared to do that at the time.
The very lowest clearance at that crossmember was 2", which made it impossible to roll a floor jack far enough in for stable jacking.  (that struggle is what led me to the air jacks in the lakester)
Two photos  One as run in 98 as a turbo 2.5L and the second in 2000 as a 3.0L N/A
 Since I couldn't get the car much lower, I did a front end air dam that managed the air much better than production parts.  The lower (rubber) skirt was 1/8" from the salt.  Even in Altered class that front end wasn't quite legal and required some mods before the Mayor allowed me into impound for an overnight visit.  Actualy we cut off the offending parts, went faster and qualified again.

All that said, lower is better, and I probably would have been further ahead to dry sump in the beginning.  I did do that for the 3 litre engine in 2000, but still didn't have the real shallow pan, just a majorly reworked stocker.

It looks like you have the beginning of a really fun project.  Use your resources well.
The whole shop will want to help once they get wind of what you are doing.

Enjoy
Rick

Offline SteveM

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »
Thanks for the pics, Rick.  I always thought those Merkur XR4TI's were cool.  A buddy of mine had one (actually his dad's car) when we were in college in the late '80's.  Very different for the US market at the time, and the turbo motors certainly have a lot of potential.  I know that the ABS on that thing saved his butt at least once, also.

I have already investigated the possibility of a dry sump setup, but it's pretty cost prohibitive for what I want to do.  The dry sump setup from the main VW hot-rod guy would cost about as much as the rest of the engine combined.  I think I may be able to get by with a factory oil pan, but would like to add a skid plate, or skid bars, if the rules allow for a skid plate in the production classes. 

The floor jack clearance is certainly an issue.  I'm picturing the need to carry a couple of very short ramps around with me in order to get it jacked up.  I have also considered beefing up the front bumper and front frame to the point that bumper jacking would be possible.

I haven't been able to tell by the rulebook if a skid plate to protect the engine and trans would be allowed, or if that's too close to "streamlining" to be permitted.  When I get a little deeper into the build, I'm sure that I'll make a request for an official answer at some point.

As far as help from the machinists, I solicit help on most of my "government" projects.  I'm into guns, bicycles, cars, pinewood derby, boats, etc., and have the opportunity/need to make parts from time to time.  I can run the Bridgeport and lathe to make simple parts, I can weld, cut, measure, and layout parts - but I don't have any skills with the CNC stuff.  Some of the other guys will say - "Just give it to so-and-so, he can whip that up for you in no time".  However, I prefer to ask some questions, then come in on a Saturday morning, take my time, and make my own chips.

The earliest I'd be looking to get onto the salt would be in the summer of 2013.  We already have summer vacation plans for 2012, and the truck wouldn't be ready in time, anyway.  I'm just hoping that none of the existing records in classes where I could run will get raised significantly before I can make it out.  I guess that's just part of the LSR racing experience.

Steve.

Steve.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 08:34:30 AM »
oh the heavy footfalls of a competetior with a new car   :-P
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 08:53:56 AM »
Yes, I'm riding high on a wave of enthusiasm right now.  I can't stop thinking about this project.  I'm sure that the intensity will drop and rise many times before this thing gets a chance to race, but that's just the way it goes.   Big visions, small budgets, and no experience with LSR racing will make this an interesting adventure.

I have some friends and acquaintances involved with other forms of racing (drag racing, SCCA sports cars).  All of those guys are fired up about my project as well.  I've already had a friend volunteer his SCCA safety equipment for the effort (fire suit, HANS device, helmet, etc).  I'll be happy to take as much help as I can get, provided that his stuff meets the requirements for SCTA racing.

I'm 43 years old, and have been reading and fantasizing about LSR racing ever since I can remember (maybe since I was 10-12 years old).  I'm at a point in my life where this is probably the most realistic chance I will have at getting into the game.

SteveM.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 09:21:19 AM »
You do realize that once you're afflicted with salt fever it's almost impossible to cure? :-D :-D :-D

You'll find that you may be considered a young'n around there! :roll: :roll: :evil:

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 09:47:43 AM »
Steve, what kind of bike racing? Road, Mtn? There are a few of us into that sort of thing as well. It was my vocation and avocation for half my adult life.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 09:49:56 AM »
You do realize that once you're afflicted with salt fever it's almost impossible to cure? :-D :-D :-D

You'll find that you may be considered a young'n around there! :roll: :roll: :evil:

Pete

I believe you on both accounts.  One of my other hobbies is bicycle racing (road racing, crits, Time Trial, and Cyclocross), which I have a lot of fun with, but I am not very good at.  I frequently get beat by bicycle racers much older than myself.  My main excuse is that they have had much more time to train than I have.   :-D  

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »
At least with cross you can drink more beer and mask your fitness level! :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »
It is usually more difficult to tell if one has been "dropped" in a 'cross race, as the field tends to get spread out quite a bit.  The last race of our local 'cross season is this upcoming weekend.  It's snowing right now, so that should be a fun race.   The heckling should have a little extra intensity, as there won't be another 'cross race to heckle until next fall.

Steve.

Offline Tman

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »
The heckling is more fun than racing!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 03:15:41 PM »
I'm going to try a couple of higher-resolution photos to see how they look.

My neighbor and fellow gear-head helping me strip the Rampage down.  I think he found the original "build sheet" in this photo.

One last pic for now - me in another racing venue.  Yes, that is a pink & black carbon fiber cyclocross frame.  It belongs to my wife, but she was letting me borrow it for this race, as I had loaned my bike out to someone else.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 04:10:17 PM »
The second one doesn't look that great! :-D :-D :evil:

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »
Not going hard enough, I can't see spittle and lung butter! Nothing wrong with rocking the pink.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 05:05:08 PM »
The footwells in these trucks are known for rust.  The root cause is usually a leaky windshield seal.  This one is no different.  That rust is the main reason why I want to weld in some rectangular tubing to tie the front K-member into the rear "frame rails", as much as you can call them frame rails.  By the time I get done cutting out the rust in the floor, it will be pretty Flintstone-ish.  Fresh steel is the prescription for this ailment.

As far as the spittle and lung butter, it was definitely flying out of me during that race, but I must have stopped hacking at least long enough for that photo to be taken.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 06:22:59 PM »
One more pic for today.  These are a couple of half-moon rings I made for the 'round-the-clock adjustment of the rotisserie.  The hubs I'm using for the rotation of the rotisserie have a 5 on 100mm bolt pattern.  These half-moons have 3 different 5 on 100 mm bolt patterns drilled into them, each one clocked 18 degrees out of phase with respect to the next.  By combining the 5 hole pattern on the fixed part of the hub, combined with the 9 holes on each of these half-moon pieces, I should have plenty of positioning options when it comes to spinning the Rampage chassis around.