Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818128 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #990 on: September 28, 2013, 04:32:56 PM »
As of right now, my plan is to work on some off-season improvements, with an eye towards running at Wilmington Ohio early in their 2014 season, followed by SpeedWeek on the Salt Flats in August.  That's the Grand-Daddy of all the meets.  I wouldn't want to take a chance of missing SpeedWeek, then having the subsequent events rained out again.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Tman

Re:
« Reply #991 on: September 28, 2013, 08:19:39 PM »
It certainly is.  The Hub is a Co-Motion dealer. The only one I know of.

Yes, I am sick. I nailed that with a thumbnail :-o A pal up here sells them. I have only had a Fisher Gemeni, an Ibis Cousin It and a Burly with a Softride stoker beam in my life. Ridden a couple Trek road tandems on club rides when they were doing them 20+ years ago.

gkabbt

« Reply #992 on: September 28, 2013, 08:42:03 PM »
Pics are GREAT and I especially like the license plate spoiler!  But Officer, this IS my daily driver!  :-D  :-D  :-D
LOVE the stance of the truck as well.
Come to Wilmington.....You will not be sorry. It REALLY is a wonderful track!

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #993 on: October 21, 2013, 08:57:13 AM »
In the small town of Festus, MO, there's a guy who runs a small, nondescript pinstriping/signpainting business.  The guy doesn't advertise, and his shop shows no outward signs of the coolness that lurks inside.

The guy goes by the name of Mr. C (Greg Clark).  Every year, he holds a "Panel Jam", with pinstripers, signpainters, and traditional hotrodders attending from all over the country.  All kinds of painting was going on all day long.  Many of the artists set up inside his shop, striping everything from trash cans to ceiling fans, skateboards, human flesh, etc.  This past Saturday, he held the 2013 Jam.

I gimped my Rampage across town for the event, hoping to convince one of the stripers to do some work on my little green truck.  I had to take a set of ramps with me to get up on the curb of Mr. C's shop, but the ride was uneventful, otherwise.

Anyway, after hanging out and talking cars/trucks/land speed racing for a while, a guy named Ron Myers took a liking to my Rampage, and agreed to so some work on it.  The results are nothing short of fantastic.  Here are some pics of the panel jam, some of the results on my Rampage, and a few more of the overall event.

Steve.

Ron Myers at work.  He's been pinstriping since 1958.

Partially finished work on the hood.

Mr. C's pickup.  He's a RatFink kind of guy.

Ron Myers doing some more work on the nose of the Rampage.

Tailgate of the Rampage

Inside Mr. C's shop.

I could not be happier with the pinstriping work.  Really looking forward to the next opportunity to have my SCTA number painted on the doors by another one of the artists (a guy who goes by Van Gogh will be doing the numbering).

Steve.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #994 on: October 21, 2013, 09:02:45 AM »
What luck! Striping looks too notch  :cheers:
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #995 on: October 21, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
Looks awesome Steve! One can never go wrong with pinstriping!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SteveM

« Reply #996 on: October 21, 2013, 09:36:07 AM »
The level of talent doing the pinstriping and paint work at this event was incredible.  Ron Myers has been doing this since 1958 - his dedication, skill, and artistic vision was obvious to all.  I'm guessing there were 20 or more artists at work during the day.

Here's another quick pic of the outside of the shop, taken fairly early in the day.  As the day went on, more and more cool cars showed up, filling the neighbor's parking lots as well.

I spent some time talking to a guy named Royce (forgot his last name), who runs a Chevette in F/Gas Coupe, using an Ecotec 4 cylinder for power, through the stock Chevette automatic trans and rearend.  He's run at Bonneville and Wilmington, OH.

Now, I need to go and try to find some pics of his Chevette.

gkabbt

« Reply #997 on: October 21, 2013, 11:01:41 AM »
REALLY cool story of what must have been a fantastic day! Pinstripes look right at home on the truck!

As for the Chevette, I remember seeing it at one of the ECTA meets earlier this year but did not get a pic of it. Just did a quick search on the ECTA site and his name is Royce Lindsey.
Car ran at the April meet and here is their run log:
F/GC - 'Unblown Gas Coupe - /GC' - Entries: 3             Run 1            Run 2         Run 3 Run 4 Run 5 Run 6    Best Speed
293 Butch Lindsey III GEN. Racing 1985 Chev Chevette 107.8900       118.9800                                         118.9800
                                                                          SP1: 94.4000  SP1:104.8500
293A Royce Lindsey III Gen. Racing 1985 Chev Chevette       
293B Jim Peirick III Gen. Racing 1985 Chev. Chevette

Gregg

Offline Tman

« Reply #998 on: October 21, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »
Striping looks great@! :cheers:

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #999 on: October 21, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »
Sweet striping!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1000 on: October 21, 2013, 12:38:58 PM »
That's awesome Steve. It looks great. She's come a long way and now it's pure hot rod. You should be proud of your achievement.You rock!!! :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1001 on: October 21, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »
Steve;

It is nice to see that the art of pinstriping by hand is still alive & well. "Pinheads" (as they call themselves) have a rare talent; a can of One-Shot in their hands becomes amazing art with the application of sure steady brushwork.

I have a car with striping by "Shaky Jake" (Chuck Babbitt), one of the old-time stripers.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tauruck

« Reply #1002 on: October 21, 2013, 01:03:43 PM »
How did he get to be called Shaky?. Nothing shaky in his work. It's like Tiny, he's always 6'3" and 300. :-D

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #1003 on: October 21, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
How did he get to be called Shaky?. Nothing shaky in his work. It's like Tiny, he's always 6'3" and 300. :-D

According to a newspaper interview back in 1970, he said that nobody paid any attention to "Babbitt" so he assumed the name Shaky Jake (usually misspelled "Shakey"). I guess it was his tongue-in-cheek reference to his steady hand. Charles Babbitt died in '87.

Most stripers have nicknames; easy to remember, I guess-- like von Dutch. How many know that his name was actually Kenny Howard?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SteveM

« Reply #1004 on: October 21, 2013, 02:30:23 PM »
By the looks of the crowd at Mr. C's Panel Jam, the next generation of stripers is going to have some serious talent as well.  Lots of folks under 30 years of age were there, learning and practicing the craft.

Gregg:
    Thanks for the information regarding Royce Lindsey.  He ran at SpeedWeek 2012, as well, but I haven't seen any photos of his Chevette from that event, either.

The only pic he had was on his cellphone, which wasn't a very good pic.  I'm going to see if I can dig a little deeper and find a pic.

Steve.