Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 822205 times)

Offline Jon

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #945 on: September 03, 2013, 05:21:55 AM »
Good luck Steve, looks great.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #946 on: September 03, 2013, 08:54:57 AM »
very sweet! i bet it feels great to finally get to this point.

Good luck out there.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #947 on: September 03, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »
Looks like you're going to be plenty early for WOS. If you are coming down I-15 & want to visit streamlinerland, give me a call.
Sent pm.
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #948 on: September 03, 2013, 11:55:29 AM »
Steve,  :cheers: You amaze me. I've never seen a guy with such tenacity. Excellent work. She'll run as good as she looks. Have a good one.

Offline Geo

« Reply #949 on: September 03, 2013, 12:44:58 PM »
Great Job! I really like the research to match parts to come up with a package. Good luck, be safe, go fast!

Geo

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #950 on: September 03, 2013, 02:46:43 PM »
Sweet! Good luck, safe travels!

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #951 on: September 03, 2013, 04:41:24 PM »
Awesome Steve! I was hoping to see your Rampage run, and it looks like I will! Luckily Bonneville isn't too far from here. And I can't think of a better way to spend my birthday than being out on the salt! See you this weekend!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SteveM

« Reply #952 on: September 03, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »
Thanks for all the support, guys.  I really "feed" off all the energy and feedback you have provided on this project.

Now, all the "pre-work" is done, and it's time to go run it for real.  Please stop by the pit area, one and all.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #953 on: September 03, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »
Right back atcha, Steve.  Look for the big "Seldom Seen Slim" race trailer.  Either I'll be there with it - or I won't.  Hang around or leave a note or call me and then I'll find you.  Not that the Rampage will be difficult to locate with that paint job. . . :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SteveM

« Reply #954 on: September 16, 2013, 10:53:28 AM »
Quick update, showing the tow bar mounting on the nose of the Rampage.  If I ever find a set of the correct headlight covers, they could hide the unsightly brackets which are tucked into the headlight opening.

Steve

Offline Tman

« Reply #955 on: September 16, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »
Fab up some full width mudflaps now that hang off the hitch. You will need them. Looks great

Offline SteveM

« Reply #956 on: September 19, 2013, 10:39:01 AM »
Thanks , Tman. Mud flaps are on the list for this weekend

Tonight, I'm taking the Rampage to a Technical College in STL for a dyno test & tune session.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #957 on: September 19, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »
Way to go Steve!!!. You inspire me. You built and finished that truck in record time. It looks great and I hope you get ten time more out of it than you put in. :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #958 on: September 19, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
I hope so too. :-D

I have a problem, though...  I'm already daydreaming about the "next" project. :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #959 on: September 19, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »
If you're getting mudflaps for the pickup -- consider getting BIG ones and cutting them down to what you need.  I use flaps built for full size semi tires.  The flaps are about 36" tall x 24" wide.  I cut them to about 10" wide and to length so they clear the ground by only three or so inches (when the pickup is loaded and with the trailer on it).  I mount them way up into the fender so that they help repel crud that would otherwise get throw way up there, too.  The 36" is more than I need -- but not too much more.  Installed length is about 28".  And I buy flaps (I get 'em at either NAPA or CarQuest) that have the anti-spray "nubbies" on the tire side.  They do a good job of reducing the spray that is flung off the tires and ends up both getting extra dirt on the side of your vehicle - and messing up the vision of the vehicles beside or behind you.

Use stainless fasteners - and expect them to last for at least a year before they corrode.  I mount my flaps at three or four points depending on access behind the fenders.

I usually use some really high end black paint -- 99 cents/can at discount stores is about as high a price as I can afford) to paint over the advertising that's otherwise showing on 'em.  But covering that would be your choice.

The only drawback I've run across is that when backing over a barrier - such as a curb or log - the flap hangs down far enough that it gets caught between the barrier and the tire and gets ripped off.  I do that about once a year. . . :|
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com