Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 822216 times)

gkabbt

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #900 on: August 19, 2013, 08:00:47 PM »
Thanks, guys.  Cap'n - what do you think about the 1/4" steel "top cap" idea for spanning between the two bars that run parallel towards the front of the truck (above the helmet area)?

Steve.

Steve, Didn't Neil do something similar on his Manta? I'll see if I can find a pic in his diary.

Gregg

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #901 on: August 19, 2013, 08:11:53 PM »
Right, Gregg-- I have three tubes running forward and I attached a sheet of 6Al4V titanium to the top.  in addition to protecting your noggin, it acts as a shear plate and stiffens the structure. Using 1/4" steel would be fine-- just heavier.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #902 on: August 19, 2013, 08:36:42 PM »
What Neil said,  Steve. Amy's camaro has the funny car set up. The plate will add a lot of strength, much like a roadster cage only you can keep it pointed in the right direction.  :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SteveM

« Reply #903 on: August 25, 2013, 11:13:18 PM »
It's pretty much crunch time around here. :-o  I'm in pretty good shape, with all the "major" issues taken care of.  There are still plenty of minor things to do, though.

I'll share a few pics just to show some of the progress...

The engine compartment consists mostly of zip ties and cushioned line clamps.

The rear lexan window is in place, and trimmed out.

Exhaust stack is in place, but will be trimmed down a bit before racing.  It gives a satisfying puff of black smoke when the throttle is blipped.

Gotta share love for the sponsors.  Bauman Oil has been great!  They let me use their shop to paint the truck, and are supplying all the fluids.

Behind the dash, you can see the wiring, and fire system plumbing for the in-cab nozzles.

Hardy's Hot Rods is a local guy who does custom HotWheels models.  He made a replica of my Rampage.  I'll have to post a pic a little later.

NACA duct in the driver's window.

FireFox fire bottle mounted solidly in place.

Dieselmeken AB is my injection pump builder in Sweden.

Techtonics Tuning supplied all the cylinder head hardware (Valves, springs, retainers, guides, and seals).

These are all of the other fine vendors who have contributed to this effort.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #904 on: August 26, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
Steve;

Aside from the engine being in there sideways  :-D it is looking very fine!!!

gkabbt

« Reply #905 on: August 26, 2013, 10:43:33 PM »
Steve,

Looking GREAT and almost complete.....Only a few days left!  :-D
Can't wait to see it on the salt!  :cheers:

See you in Wendover!

Gregg

Currently in Sioux Falls, SD on our way to WoS!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #906 on: August 26, 2013, 11:45:29 PM »
Steve -

I can't tell from the pic.

You do have 10 lbs of fire suppression, I hope?

The machine is gorgeous!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #907 on: August 27, 2013, 07:44:25 AM »
Chris - yep, at least 10 lbs of fire suppression. It's a Firefox system, 2 nozzles under hood in the exhaust/turbo/oil pan area, and 2 nozzles under the dash.

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #908 on: August 27, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
Steve, in a fair amount of reading other's experiments on dsmlink forums, with using a fresh air intake duct to keep air cool going into turbo, as well as any way to increase pressure and airflow into the compressor inlet will drastically increase compressor efficiency.
A popular mod is to lose a headlight and convert into velocity stack. Or use it to pressurize (at speed) a sealed airbox with a filtered velocity stack feeding turbo with minimal bends and pipe diameter changes.

I dont know what is legal as far as that type of mod goes, or if the little bit of drag gained would be offset by power gained.

Apparently picking up 2-3 mph in the 1/4 while running 3-5 less psi and needing to add fuel to make up the additional airflow is the norm for a decently designed setup.

It is probably too late in the game to switch things around now, but might be food for thought for next year. And could help you push the record even higher. ( we all know you will get the record, how could you not?)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #909 on: August 27, 2013, 11:07:28 AM »
"... ( we all know you will get the record, how could you not?) ..."

Don't be fooled by those words, Steve.  I can think of many of us that thought a record was in the bag -- and then didn't happen because of this or that.  Confidence is good - wariness is better. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SteveM

« Reply #910 on: August 27, 2013, 11:36:37 AM »
I can think of about a million things that may prevent me from being competitive against the existing record.  For my own sake, I want to remain confident, but definitely wary.

The simple fact that the current recordholder in this class, as well as the previous recordholder are very well known names in LSR, with a whole bunch of records between them, tells me that it's not going to be easy.

I've put together a package that I think can be competitive, and was "sort of" within my budget.  As I've told a lot of people who have asked me how fast it will go - I tell them that "on paper" it should be able to run the record, but the race isn't run on paper, it's run on the salt.

STeve.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #911 on: August 27, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »
Excellent reply Steve! I get the same question all the time. On paper, Hank should be very fast. Paper though does not allow for tire slip, corrected altitude, missed shifts, nerves, etc! We would all love to get a record, but in my opinion chasing that record and just seeing how fast our projects will go is fun in itself!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline SteveM

« Reply #912 on: August 27, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »
Thanks, Junkie.

In related news, I took an early lunch today to meet up with my glass installer.  The windshield is now in place, the trim strips are installed, and nothing got broken.  Hooray.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #913 on: August 27, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »
Remember, folks - a good glass installer doesn't even OWN a screwdriver.

Steve.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #914 on: August 27, 2013, 03:54:14 PM »
Steve:

Record or no record you are a 1%'er by building your own ride and dragging it to the salt. You built a really nice and cool Rampage in a very short time. It was great to watch it all come together. 

It is the most fun I have ever had racing and I am sure it will be for you too. It's cool just sitting in the car, on the starting line, realizing you can only see about the first 2 miles of the course with another 6 miles to explore if you get there...some guys, not me even get to explore the 1/2 mile or so of mud road after the 8th mile.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM