Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 822435 times)

Offline Tman

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2012, 06:44:23 PM »
Rex, You forgot to mention what you did in your previous life.   Tony

Rex is Shirley McClain?

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »
Trent, You mean you don't know? Shirley You Jest.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2012, 08:22:48 PM »
I did some racing stuff too back in the early 80s.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline krusty

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2012, 08:38:19 PM »

Yeah, "some racing stuff"  :-D  :wink:   You mean like gymkhanas and such  :roll: ?    vic

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
Vic, you old dog you!! This is Steve's build thread not for us to pine about the "old days". Let's just say I have been around the block a couple of times.

Rex

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »
Feel free to share some racing stories.  In the meantime, I got a little more "off the clock" work done on my tubing notcher.  The 1-5/8 hole saw method works great, but I'm a little worried about the life of the hole saws.  I wish I could come up with a metal cutting hole saw that had a higher tooth per inch count.

I also experimented with a 1-1/2" roughing mill as a notcher.  It works great, and really chews the metal away.  If I decide to use this technique, I'll have to do a bit of hand grinding after notching with the 1-1/2" mill.

If I could get my hands on a 1-5/8" roughing end mill, I think that would be even better.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of my fixture, and the end result.

This photo addresses the age old problem of how to use a C-clamp on a round tube.

The setup with a 1-1/2" roughing mill.

What I think is a darn nice fit.  This was done with the hole saw, not the end mill.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Tman

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2012, 10:28:41 AM »
All my pal that have them swear by the Blair Rotabroach instead of holesaws. I gave up on holesaws due to short lifespan and am back to teh cutoffwheel and sander.

You have a nice fit there. BTW, I actually saw a Rampage on the street the other day, not a common site.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »
Yes, Rampage sightings are pretty rare.  I have not seen one on the road since I picked this one up a few months ago.

I looked into the rotabroach, but they were more $$$ than I wanted to spend for that size.  I did manage to find a 1-5/8" end mill on ebay.  It must have been made to fit some kind of mill I've never seen before, it has a 1-1/4" shank with threads cut into the end.  I think I'll try to braze an extension onto the shank of this one, to give me a little more working length.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180806080312?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Steve.

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2012, 02:43:48 PM »
Steve,
That type of cutter fixing is quite common.
Have a look for Clarkson Autolock

I've got something similar on my small mill in my shop at home.

Neil
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline SteveM

« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2012, 05:10:29 PM »
Neil:

I just checked the Clarkson Autolock collets.  I have never seen one before, but I am certainly no machine tool expert, either.

This cutter was made in England.  I suspect that the threaded shank mills are more common in the UK than they are over on this side of the pond.

Cheers,

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41:34 PM »
I'm so excited that I have to share some news - I just bought a set of rare Kolbenschmidt oversized pistons for the 1.5L VW diesel engine.  Oversized pistons for 1.5 VW diesels are pretty hard to come by to begin with.  Most of the ones that you can find, after a long search, are Brazilian made.

However, as you might be able to discern from the name, the Kolbenschmidt's are 100% German.  If there's one thing that VW engines like, it's German made parts.

SteveM.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2012, 11:18:36 PM »
Hard work and enthusiasm often bring on luck!  :-D :-D :-D

Keep at her.

Pete

gkabbt

« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »
I know how you must feel about scoring the rare pistons.....Probably like I did when I got my headlight covers.
 :cheers:
Tell us more about the VW diesel you are planning.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2012, 10:50:07 AM »
While these pistons are rare, they are probably not quite as rare as the Direct Connection headlight covers (close, though).  The engine will essentially be a de-stroked 1.6L turbo diesel, intercooled and mechanically injected.  The factory 1.5L diesel engines were never available as factory turbo variants, but the larger 1.6's were, as were the later 1.9L engines.  They are all the same family of blocks, along with several of the gasser engines, which range from 1.5L to 2.0 4-bangers, across different generations of the engine.  The 1.6 turbo block is considered to be the toughest of the factory blocks, and has the added benefit of oil squirter jets located in the block.  The squirters direct oil to the underside of the pistons for the turbo engines, helping to keep the piston temps down.

The neat thing about VW 4 cylinder engines, is that a lot of the parts are interchangeable between engine series and generations.  In this way, they are kind of like small block Chevy engines.  Heads, cranks, rods, pistons, cams, etc. can all find their way from one engine to another in a lot of occasions.  It's possible that I will end up with a 1.5 rotating assembly, a 1.6 block and injection pump, and a 1.9 head.

I currently have 3 different blocks, and I may be in the market for another.  The early versions like I have are all mechanical lifter versions.  I would like to find a later block, which supports the use of a hydraulic lifter head.  There are some later model heads that were only available on the hydraulic engines, and I might like to try one.  The later (larger) heads are supposed to flow better than the early ones.  1.5, 1.6, and 1.9 heads will all bolt up.  I don't have a finished head yet, but I have a couple that would need to be rebuilt.  The hydraulic engines don't like to turn as many rpm's as the mechanical heads, but the later hydraulic heads flow better.  It's a trade-off, and I'm not sure which way my engine will be in the end.

Anyway, my plan is a de-stroked 1.6 Turbo Diesel (to get under the displacement limit), running a nice big turbo (probably from a larger Mercedes engine), water-to-air intercooler, a nice big oil cooler, and couple it to a 5-speed VW transmission.  The spool-up on the larger turbo will be laggy, but I don't think that will be a problem for this application.

I already have the trans, and it has the ratios I'm looking for.  5th gear in these transaxles is "almost" a quick-change operation, as the 5th gear cluster is housed under a cap at the rear of the transmission.  There is a pretty good variety of 5th gear and R&P sets for these trannies as well.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2012, 09:43:39 PM »
I took delivery of the pistons, and now have a 1.9L "AAZ" Canadian-spec cylinder head on it's way to my door.  I also feel a little better after cleaning up the garage.  It was looking like a junkyard that had been hit by an atomic bomb.  Much better now.