Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818140 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #765 on: May 15, 2013, 11:32:58 PM »
Pink gives you wings. :-D

Offline SteveM

« Reply #766 on: May 20, 2013, 10:42:34 AM »
I didn't get a whole lotta time to work on the Rampage over the weekend, but did manage to squeeze in a few hours yesterday.

It's time for a couple of quick pics.  I'm starting to work on the engine assembly.  First up was a paint job for the block.  I went with a light machinery gray color.  This is the same color and paint that I used for most of the suspension components.

Depending on the weather, I might find some time for real assembly this evening.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline skywalker18

• New folks
« Reply #767 on: May 21, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »
I have been following your build, since the beginning.  The car is looking fantastic and your workmanship is superb.  Keep up the great work!!  I love the green color!!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #768 on: May 22, 2013, 10:14:22 AM »
Thanks, Skywalker.  It's one of those situations where I feel like the workmanship is OK, but I can see all of the flaws.  Looking back at each step, I can usually identify something that I think I could have done better.

The proof will be in September.

Steve.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #769 on: May 22, 2013, 12:12:13 PM »
Thanks, Skywalker.  It's one of those situations where I feel like the workmanship is OK, but I can see all of the flaws.  Looking back at each step, I can usually identify something that I think I could have done better.

The proof will be in September.

Steve.

No matter how many things one builds, that's always the case. It's why the next build is better-- you learn how to do things better from the previous one.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SteveM

« Reply #770 on: May 23, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »
Thanks, Neil.

Look what arrived in the mail today - an original sales brochure for the 1984 line of Dodge mini trucks...

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:51:11 PM by SteveM »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #771 on: May 23, 2013, 03:37:43 PM »
C'mon, show us the page where they have the bright green truck.  Or if they don't have a real photo of it, show us the color chart where you could select the bilious color for the truck you have 'em build for you. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SteveM

« Reply #772 on: May 23, 2013, 05:11:25 PM »
The mid-80's were not a vibrant time in terms of Mopar's color offerings.  Here's the color chart for an '84 Rampage...

The Ultrashield full containment seat was not an option, either.  You could get cloth, or vinyl.  For an '84 Rampage, Rich Corinthian Leather was not available from the factory

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #773 on: May 23, 2013, 05:19:47 PM »
Whatsa Power Ram?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SteveM

« Reply #774 on: May 24, 2013, 09:58:07 AM »
Power Ram appears to be a 4 wheel drive version of the D-50.  I didn't know, either, until the brochure arrived yesterday.

Last night I managed to get the short block assembled.  These VW diesels are pretty particular about head gaskets.    The bottom end needs to be built, and the piston protrusion measured before the head gasket can be selected.  If the head gasket is too thin, the pistons hit the head.  If the head gasket is too thick, the C.R. will be off.  For a stock 1.5L non-turbo diesel, the stock C.R. is right at 25:1.  For this turbo application, and with a non-stock cylinder head, my C.R. will be somewhat lower.

In this case, the piston protrusion is in the range of 0.037" - 0.040".  Now, I have to consult the official VW head gasket decoder chart so that I can order the correct gasket set.

Steve

Offline SteveM

« Reply #775 on: May 26, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »

My first attempt at posting a photo directly from my phone. Window net has been installed

Offline SteveM

« Reply #776 on: May 26, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
...here's the steering column, moved towards the center of the truck, and with the brackets tacked in place

Offline SteveM

« Reply #777 on: May 26, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
The master cylinder has been mounted, and I'm working on routing the brake line.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #778 on: May 27, 2013, 10:29:38 AM »
It all looks great Steve and in the one pic the colour even looks better. It must be really good in the flesh. You're going like a Boeing right now. :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #779 on: May 27, 2013, 10:37:27 AM »
The color (or colour, depending on your nation of residence) definitely pops.  I'm not a proficient photographer, so capturing the "true" shade is difficult.  I'm sure it will shine brightly on the salt.

One of the highlights of Saturday is that my father and my God-father stopped by for a couple of hours.  I managed to put them both to work, helping to work out the window net mounting, steering shaft placement, and drilling holes along the upper edge of the doors for the window mounting.

Reference this photo, where Jerry (my godfather and my Dad's best friend for 60+ years) is about to drill a hole into my Dad's upper leg.

Steve