Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818212 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #330 on: February 07, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »
I just picked up this somewhat rare (but not impossible to find) "ABL" intake manifold.  This intake has the D shaped ports which match the AAZ cylinder head I'm using.

It's a cute little guy.  For reference purposes, that's an 8-1/2" x 11" piece of copy paper in the foreground.  I have to use my imagination to visualize how this little intake can flow enough to push my Rampage over 100 mph.

The plan is to modify the upper portion of this intake to work with the not-yet-purchased turbo setup.

Since the AAZ engine was never offered in the USA, getting the right combination of parts can be a bit of a challenge.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline tauruck

« Reply #331 on: February 08, 2013, 12:58:41 AM »
That looks nice. Those Audi motors crank out good HP using turbos. They are very popular in my neck of the woods. I'm sure you'll get great Hp from it.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #332 on: February 08, 2013, 09:35:25 AM »
There are a number of people (mainly in Europe) who use these small VW / Audi diesels to make very good power.  The Finns in particular seem to be adept at maxxing out small diesel performance.  Maybe it's the long winters spent in the workshop.

Anyway, I turned my attached garage into the most rudimentary of paint booths last night, in order to paint the cab portion of the Rampage, before putting the cage in for the last time.

The good news - success...  My wife said she never smelled a whiff of paint in the house, which means that I now have implied consent to paint in the garage again.

Now for a few pics.

My friend/helper/crewmember Darrell, doing some prep work before painting.  His quote of the evening - "Nothing smells like Prep-Sol, other than Prep-Sol."

"Before" pic of the front of the cab, with some rattle-can primer in places.

After

After

After

After.

Sharp eyes may notice that I neglected to mask off the areas of the floor where the cage will be welded.  That means a little extra grinding before the welding can begin.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #333 on: February 08, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
It's working out well Steve!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I like the light color. It's so much easier to work on and drive when you can see in the interior.

Pete

Offline SteveM

« Reply #334 on: February 11, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
It's working out well Steve!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I like the light color. It's so much easier to work on and drive when you can see in the interior.

Pete

Thank you, Pete.   I agree with you;  the light color is going to be nice.  The cage is now installed "permanently".  I have some clean-up to do and some more welding before the roof goes on for good.  Then I'll touch up the paint on the cage and interior.

All 4 of the foot plates are "burned in" like this.  There are 2 more attachment points on the upper kick panel / dash area.  I still need to do the down bars from the back of the cage into the bed, then the roof can go back on.

I don't remember who was the first to suggest cutting the roof off to fit the cage, but it was invaluable advice!!!

Steve.

Offline Freud

« Reply #335 on: February 11, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »
Now might be the time to read a post in the Target 550 website about a special paint.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/159_paint_plus/159_009_jpg.html

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SteveM

« Reply #336 on: February 11, 2013, 06:17:03 PM »
That stuff seems more technologically advanced than the $12/quart tractor paint I've been using so far. :-D :-D

It's now time for me to cut and fit the "down bars" from the top of the main hoop down into the bed of the truck.

I'm planning to run them at 45 degrees up from the surface of the bed.  Can anyone think of a reason why I should use a different angle?

Steve.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #337 on: February 11, 2013, 06:25:12 PM »
Steve, It's looking great man. I really like what you've done and those welds on foot plates look very nice. Cutting the roof off was a smart move. This is going to be so cool.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #338 on: February 11, 2013, 09:02:29 PM »
Steve,
Regarding the "down bars" I would suggest that you make them connect with some part of the bed that has some load carrying structure or maybe where some part of the rear suspension connects to the chassis.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #339 on: February 11, 2013, 09:12:51 PM »
Steve, You said the truck ran VW components. Was it a deal between Dodge and VW? We had similar mini pickups here built by VW that were called Jettas.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #340 on: February 11, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »
Good thinking Rex.  

I just went out and double checked.  There is a stout (at least by Rampage standards) cross-member just behind the 45 degree intersection.  My plan is to lay a good-sized piece of 1/8" steel sheet across the bed at that location (approx 18" x 36").  That piece will be welded to the bed on the topside, and through-bolted to the crossmember underneath.  Then, there will be 2 additional 1/8" thick feet for the bottom of the down bars, for a total of 1/4" thickness of new steel, plus the 0.040" or so thickness of the sheetmetal bed, plus another 0.060" or so for the crossmember.

Hopefully, I can get the tubes cut tomorrow afternoon.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #341 on: February 11, 2013, 09:22:16 PM »
When Dodge first came out with the L-bodies (Omni, Horizon, 024, TC3), they had not yet developed the 2.2 Liter Chrysler 4-banger.  The early models used 1.7L VW gasoline engines, and either a VW manual or automatic transmission.   Some used a 1.6L Peugeot engine, but those were pretty rare, and not very desirable.  No VW diesels were ever offered from the factory, but it's a short leap from a 1.7L VW gasser to a 1.5 or 1.6L diesel (same block geometry).

Then in '82 or so, the Chrysler 2.2L engine debuted, and Dodge began phasing out the VW powertrains as the 2.2's came online.

The good news is that the motor mount locations never changed on the chassis, only the bracketry changed from the engines and transmissions.  That makes it fairly straightforward to swap drivetrains, if you have all the right brackets.

Steve.

Offline saltracer1

« Reply #342 on: February 11, 2013, 11:08:16 PM »
Hey Steve,
As to the braces for the roll cage the rule book states "On unitized construction and nonocque cars, the roll cage structure and braces shall have 1/4-in. thick support pads on the top and bottom of the floor (or sill), in a sandwich construction and shall be of sufficient area to support an impact load equal to the weight of the car."

Offline SteveM

« Reply #343 on: February 12, 2013, 08:12:18 AM »
Everything I've seen indicates that the portion of the rulebook you have quoted applies to bolt-in cages (the "sandwich" type construction).  Weld-in cages don't need the support pads on the underside. 

If I'm not right, I hope someone will set me straight.   :-o :-o :oops: :oops:

Although I didn't request a written ruling, I have seen photos of, and read descriptions here, of folks using 2 thicknesses of 1/8" steel to meet the 1/4" thickness rule.  Particularly when forming a foot pad to the floorpan, the individual layers of 1/8" steel are much easier to form than 1/4" thick material.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #344 on: February 12, 2013, 01:00:06 PM »
I have been working with Kiwi Steve, the SCTA inspector for this kind of thing, regarding using a double 1/8 plate in place of the specified 1/4 plate. The plan being as Steve is doing to make the "base" 1/8 plate much larger than the required 1/4 inch plate size and then making an additional 1/8 plate that is the required perimeter dimension that the cage is then welded to. Per Kiwi Steve this approach meets and exceeds the SCTA 1/4 inch plate requirement. Plus it makes a lot more sense as just bolting or welding a square 1/4 inch plate to a piece of .040 sheet metal is just asking for a nice square hole poked through the sheet metal.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.