Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 822335 times)

Offline Geo

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #255 on: November 05, 2012, 11:42:59 AM »
The build looks good!

You can always wrap the belt under rather than over the bar giving you 1.5 inches difference. Great belt install instructions here:

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_Competition_Instructions.pdf

Geo

gkabbt

« Reply #256 on: November 05, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
Steve,

Cage looks very, very nice. Looks like you made the right decision about taking the roof off.....Easier to get to everything.
I agree with what Chris said: "I'd feel safe in that cage".

Gregg

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #257 on: November 05, 2012, 01:18:21 PM »
I was told mounting was to be dead level or up to 10ยบ down -- on my third try to get it right.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SteveM

« Reply #258 on: November 05, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »
Can anybody quote the actual rulebook language?  I don't have mine handy, and I can't get it out of my mind.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #259 on: November 05, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »
" 2" min-4" max. below shoulders" from the ECTA book that emulates the SCTA book....
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SteveM

« Reply #260 on: November 05, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »
I cannot find any specific dimensions in the SCTA rulebook regarding height of shoulder harnesses. 

The only thing I can find is under 3.D.2, whis states "SEAT BELTS AND SHOULDER HARNESSES SHALL BE INSTALLED TO THE MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS"... 

Figures 5, 6, and 7 under the same section say only "See Manufacturer's specifications" when talking about shoulder harness location.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #261 on: November 06, 2012, 08:31:36 AM »
No new photos today, but I moved another step closer last night.  Over the weekend, I took a road trip to buy another transmission, a shifter and linkage, pedal cluster, and the "correct", if there is such a thing, motor and tranny mounts to put a VW drivetrain into a Dodge L-body vehicle.

I spent some time mixing and matching motor and trans mounts last night, and coming up with a vision of how to get the entire drivetrain in and out of the chassis more easily.  On these trucks, it's possible to pull the trans while leaving the engine in place, but it's a royal PITA.  It's possible to pull the engine while leaving the trans in place, but it's an even bigger PITA.  It's kind of a toss-up whether it's easier to pull the engine and trans out the topside as a unit, but that's a PITA also.   The easiest way to remove the engine and trans is out the bottom, but that means jacking the truck way up in the air, and having a good way to slide the engine/trans once it's on the ground.  I would not look forward to any of these options if I was in a time crunch.

The big issue is that there is a large "box" shaped bracket that the transmission brackets attach to.  The box is welded to the driver's side stamped subframe rail.  The size and location of the box is what makes it so difficult to pull the drivetrain, or either the engine or trans as an individual piece. 

Last night, I think I came up with a vision to drill through the existing bracket, all the way through the subframe rail, reinforce the rail and bracket interface with some tubing, and make the entire box removable with four 3/8" bolts.   As long as it works the way I think it will, pulling the engine and trans as a unit will be MUCH simpler, resulting in 90% less cussing and busted knuckles.

I also managed to get one more piece of roll cage tubing cut and fitted. 

Thanks for reading,

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #262 on: November 06, 2012, 02:40:40 PM »
Steve,

In the beginning, I had kind of the same idea as you for ease of installing / removing the engine and trans.
With my "hoped for" HP / Torque, I decided to leave mine in place and additional welding was done to make it more solid with the frame rail.
I agree it will be more work for to install / remove the engine and trans from the top and that is something I can live with.
Hopefully, removing / installing from the bottom will be easier with the addition of my tubular k-member.....albeit still a PITA.

Gregg
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:00:46 PM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2012, 12:20:21 PM »
I received the Ultrashield Full Containment seat with "Bonneville" Halo today :cheers:

Pics to follow.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #264 on: November 14, 2012, 01:59:59 PM »
OK, just a few quick pics of the new seat. 

...now I need to figure out how to get this thing mounted in the cage.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #265 on: November 16, 2012, 01:50:23 PM »
...and a few more pics of the seat placed in the cage.  I now have some ideas about how to effectively mount the seat to the cage.  (plywood and duct tape are not part of the plan).

Offline SteveM

« Reply #266 on: November 16, 2012, 08:39:48 PM »
OK - here is what I've come up with so far for an upper seat mounting support.  I will use another piece of 1" square tubing to span the 2 vertical pieces, and then weld a bracket to the 3rd piece, which will bolt to the aluminum flange on the back of the seat.

Please feel free to tell me what you think of this idea.

Thanks for looking.

Steve.

Offline Jon

« Reply #267 on: November 16, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »
I'd really like the look of a diagonal from the bottom passenger's side up into the top drivers side corner, I have a thing for triangles though.

How heavy wall is the 1" RHS?

Regards
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline SteveM

« Reply #268 on: November 16, 2012, 09:13:35 PM »
The square tube is 0.062" wall. I could use 1-5/8 round tube (0.134" wall), but I'm not convinced that high rigidity is desired right behind my head.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #269 on: November 16, 2012, 09:15:01 PM »
I am certainly willing to entertain any/all ideas before making the installation "permanent".