Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818054 times)

Offline SteveM

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2012, 04:12:26 PM »
Chris:
    I agree with what you stated about "putting it out there" and following through.  That's a technique that I picked up several years back, and it definitely works.

Yeah, I live on the Southern outskirts of the St Louis Metro area.  Max is in one of the Western "inner suburbs" of St Louis.  I actually race bicycles on a team whose shop is located in the same city as Max lives, probably less than a mile away. 

Here's another positive expression of intent. - I will be at WOS in 2013, competing in the H/DT class with my Rampage.  It will be painted SubLime green. 

See you on the salt, and keep up the great work on your Midget.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
This weekend, not so good.  Perhaps toward the end of the month.  Keep floggin' . . .
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline SteveM

« Reply #182 on: October 11, 2012, 05:15:26 PM »
I will keep flogging.   My goal is to have the cage mostly done by the end of Oct.

steve.

Offline Kevin G

« Reply #183 on: October 11, 2012, 08:27:08 PM »
I also agree with chris. Putting your goals in writing and leaving them out in the ooen where others can see them and inevitably nag the hell out if you when you start falling behind is a great motivator.
68 in a 55. Michigan State Police. 98
65 in a 55. Wayne County Sheriff. 02
Loud exhaust. Memphis City Police 03

gkabbt

« Reply #184 on: October 12, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »
I think I have made the mental leap to paint the Rampage in the Mopar "Sub Lime" color.  This is the super bright 1970 Dodge/Plymouth lime green color.  Now that it's in writing, I stand a much better chance of following through with the paint job.

Steve.

Steve,
I guess if you do the "Sub Lime" on your Rampage I should do the "Plum Crazy" on mine.
That would be a lot of color (?!?!?!) on the salt at 2013 WoS. At least we would both be seen.....LOL.

Gregg
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 08:21:56 AM by gkabbt »

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #185 on: October 12, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »
Gregg, how about Panther Pink or Top Banana yellow. :-D :-D

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SteveM

« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2012, 10:15:07 AM »
One reason that I'd like to do the Sublime, is that it will match my bicycling team "kit" very closely (Cannonball / Hub Racing, in Webster Groves, MO).  The colors on our bike shop/club team kits are black, white, orange, and a very bright green which is close to Sublime.  Here's a pic.  There's more green on the back of the jersey and shorts.

Here's a pic of my road racing bike, which has the same bright green on the handlebar tape and saddle.  The frame is in the old USPS team design (the doper's team).

I'm trying to convince the shop owners to foot the bill for the paint job, and keep it in the Cannonball / Hub team colors and general design.

Steve.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #187 on: October 12, 2012, 10:19:03 AM »
Speaking of paint for a moment - what are your opinions on hardened enamel, versus urethane single stage, versus basecoat/clearcoat (particularly for a racing vehicle)?   

I have shot enamel before, but the results always look less than ideal (orange peel, a little dull).  The good factors are that enamel is cheap and easy (relatively) to make repairs after the fact.

I have heard good things about single stage urethane, and the cost isn't astronomical.  One thing that has me leaning towards single stage urethane is that I believe it would be easier to do touch-ups and repairs at a later date, as compared to basecoat/clearcoat.

Base/Clear should give the best initial results and shine, but I'm concerned about how difficult it may be to make future repairs and/or touchups.

Steve.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
A little orange peel might not be a bad thing. Think golf ball dimples
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Tman

« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »
Steve, I just bought a new '11 Masi SS Cross bike last night. Missed my last cross bike, a Kona.

I prefer single stage urethane but remember you need a good fresh air system........well that should be said for any of the new paints. On the lakester I am going to look at that water based stuff Marlo and crew are using on Target 550. Spray it in your jammies if you like, very safe stuff.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:18:43 AM by Tman »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »
Trent - any pics of the Masi?

I have a "pieced together" Trek XO2 'cross bike.  The pink bike in the photo belongs to my wife.  Last night, I went out for a 'cross training ride with another local guy on my X02, when I noticed trouble shifting the front derailleur.  On closer inspection, the braze on clamp adapter was broken at the hinge.  Luckily, it didn't completely break and end up jamming between the frame and drivetrain, really ruining my day.  I'm glad it broke (or at least I found it broke) yesterday, instead of Sunday, when the first race of our 'cross series takes place.

A quick trip to the bike shop got me a new braze-on clamp.

With respect to painting with catalyzed paint, I "should" have access to a Racal fresh air helmet, which is a very nice unit.  I have been allowed to borrow it in the past, so hopefully the offer still stands.

I don't know much of anything about the water based stuff, but maybe it's time to learn.

Steve.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »
Steve, here's my take - Go with the simplest paint to touch up.  You're constantly working on a race car - stuff gets nicked, new holes get drilled, old holes get filled, you tip a table and it scrapes the side (I was able to cover that with the decal) - so if you use a standard enamel, it's a quick and easy touch up.

If you do get it to the point where it's reliable and the body is set in stone, then pop for the clear coat - or better yet, have a SPONSOR pop for the clear-coat.

You spend more time putting a race vehicle in harms way working on it than you do driving it.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2012, 01:38:41 PM »
Very cool single speeder!  SS cyclocross takes a lot of gusto (or so I'm told).  Does yours have the semi-moustache bars like that? 

Offline Tman

« Reply #194 on: October 12, 2012, 02:08:03 PM »
They don't flare as much as the picture makes them look. KORE bars, very comfy but I have a couple moustache bars and a fillet brazed Eric-bar (like a Jones) that I may switch to. I bought it mainly for gravel road riding.

I think that will also be my new pit bike for Speedweek. We shall see, the 1x1 has served well 3 times now.

Edit, watching the clock..............2.5 hours and I will be riding.

As for your paint, do the Single stage. It is much more durable than base/clear. You can cut and buff it if needed You can blend it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:11:46 PM by Tman »