Author Topic: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread  (Read 818122 times)

gkabbt

Re: '84 Dodge Rampage Build Thread
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2012, 07:07:42 AM »
Steve,

Here is a better example of an air dam I think you could run and be legal. These pics are of Mike Manghelli's White Goose Bar VW http://www.whitegoosebar.com/ and I copied (saved) them from his website.

Hope this helps or at least is fuel for thought.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »
Gregg:
   Thanks for posting the pics.  I have something in mind that's similar to the White Goose style air dam, but perhaps mounted lower on the nose.  I know there has been some controversy about where the "bumper" is on some other DT entries.  Here's a better pic of the front end of mine...

My issue will be how far below the black trim strip I have to keep the air dam.  The most aero solution would probably be to dam off everything from the black strip down.  However, I have another vision that keeps the dam below the opening in the lower valence portion, and then has a splitter like you showed on the White Goose truck above.

The actual metal part of the bumper is obviously hidden behind the plastic/rubber skin. I need to find out if I can air-dam off everything below the black trim strip which is the leading edge, or if I'll be required to leave the lower valence opening uncovered.  My interpretation is that the "grille" is only that opening which is located above the bumper, but I will definitely get a ruling on that.

Steve.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

gkabbt

« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2012, 05:09:58 AM »
Steve,
I had the same thought process as you about the grille being only above the bumper. I posed the same question to Dan Warner about the lower grille opening (below the black strip) and was told I need to leave that open as is considered part of the grille.

My Rampage will probably end up looking something like the H&H Charger:

Please do get a ruling on this as things might have changed.

Gregg
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:42:45 AM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2012, 08:33:29 PM »
Steve,
Really good talking with you this morning and finding out more about your truck.   :cheers:
I guess I should have warned you that sometimes I can talk a "little" to much. :-o  
Talking racing is way better than working.....anytime. :-D
Gregg
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:36:36 PM by gkabbt »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2012, 10:56:26 PM »
Gregg:
  That was a good conversation, with a lot of ground still to cover. 

I just have to share a little bit of my excitement.  My valvetrain parts are shipping from TechTonics Tuning.  I should have them early next week.  These guys are "THE" name in VW components.  They put together a very nice package of rare and exotic stuff for my 1.5/1.6/1.9 Diesel engine. (Actually, nothing is super rare, or exotic, but the combination of parts for this engine is unique).  What's cool about so much of the VW stuff is that a lot of the components are shared between engine series, so if you know what parts work with which other parts, you can put together some neat combos.  I'll be running an "AAZ" 1.9L head, using 7mm stem valves which were not stock to this head, dual valve springs from an 8V gasser, custom matched valve seats, retainers, and keepers for this combo,  and lightweight lifters with some kind of teflon-type coating from a later model 2.0L gasser.

I have to give a big shout out to the guys at TechTonics, especially Colin, for helping me work through this combination.  They ordered in some valves, just to find out if they would work with this setup.  When the first valves weren't quite right (1.5mm too long), they dug back into the depths of  VW part numbers and specifications to come up with the right stuff.  Not everyone can or will go that extra mile, but I can wholeheartedly endorse TechTonics tuning.

Steve M.

Offline Tman

« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2012, 11:25:36 PM »
Thats cool Steve, they sound like a good group but who in the world knows these oddball German engines like that!?!?!?!?!?! Crazy! :cheers:

Offline SteveM

« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2012, 11:39:04 PM »
I must be on a roll - just got an email from a guy who is selling a standard bore 1.6L turbo hydraulic block (with oil squirters for the pistons).  These things dont exactly grow on trees, but conversely, they are not as rare as the Vintage 4, flathead Cad, or Studebaker stuff, either. Looks like I found my block. I feel lucky to have found one with a standard bore. Most of them have been bored out at some point over the last 30 years.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2012, 12:26:57 PM »
I just bought the engine block.

gkabbt

« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2012, 08:01:15 PM »
Toys, toys and more toys....your really are on a roll with some COOL stuff!!!
Next you'll be posting that you found your headlight covers (fingers crossed for ya and keeping my eyes open as well).
Looking forward to future conversations as well meeting you on our way out to WOS in September.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »
The search for headlight covers will not end until I find a set.  I'm looking forward to having a visit with you in September.  If I can stay on schedule, I should be deep and heavy into the roll cage construction at that point in time.

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #145 on: May 20, 2012, 05:59:46 AM »
Steve,

Sounds good and looking forward to the visit as well.
If I can help answers any questions, please post, shoot me a PM or give me a call.

Gregg

Offline SteveM

« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
I received all my valvetrain goodies last Friday, and the engine block today.  I have some pics of the block shown below, but I'll have to unpack and carefully arrange all the valvetrain stuff for a good photo.

This is a German block, never available in the USA.  It was imported here by a guy in CA who does that sort of thing.  It has the piston oil squirters for the underside of the pistons and top of the rods.  It has the desirable 12mm head bolt holes, as opposed to the earlier 11mm holes, which were known to cause problems at higher boost levels.  The bosses are actually thicker for the 12mm holes, giving a lot more support to the top end.

This is also a block which is compatible with hydraulic lifters, which is a requirement for the head I'm using.

Another authentic plus is that the block shipped in what I'm told is an East German foot locker from the cold war era.  If anyone can read the markings on the tag inside the lid, maybe they provide a clue. 

Anyway, in no particular order, here are some pics...

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »
Steve;

Neat block-- I've never seen one like that.

Yes, the shipping container is East German-- not a footlocker but a container that had 100W lights in it originally. The manufacturer AKA was in Leipzig as the label says; Leipzig was in the Soviet Zone (East Germany) and was pretty well destroyed by Allied bombing during WW II. The stuff was the property of the "NVA" or "Peoples Army".

East Germany was a hellhole under the Soviets.

Regardsm Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SteveM

« Reply #148 on: May 23, 2012, 08:42:57 AM »
Thanks for the information about the crate, Manta.  The company I work for has a branch in Bucholz, Germany.  Some of the employees there grew up behind the Iron Curtain, and confirm what you say about East Germany being a hell hole under Soviet control.

On a lighter note, this weekend is a 4-day long, 1/2 price sale at Pick N Pull junkyards across the country.  I'm hoping to score some needed suspension bits, maybe a pedal cluster and shifter setup, and possibly a workable exhaust manifold for my turbo setup.

Steve.

gkabbt

« Reply #149 on: May 23, 2012, 06:54:10 PM »
Steve,

Give me a call and let me know what you are looking for Rampage wise.
I got lots of stuff from mine that I'm not going to use.

Gregg