Author Topic: Long Shot Landspeed Bike  (Read 2028 times)

Offline JayD

• New folks
Long Shot Landspeed Bike
« on: November 20, 2021, 12:13:59 AM »
Got a minute here to hash out a build diary here for my bike, mostly for my own reference later.

It's going to either be running A-Omega or APS-Omega depending on if time permits me to make a faring before speed week 2022.

The donor bike is a 2000 ZR-7 that's going to be stretched 18 inches in the middle of the frame and raked an extra 12.5 degrees. Front end will have 38 degrees of rake and 183mm of trail.

Power at the front sprocket will be 280-350hp depending on a couple of factors

The reason for the length is to fit a really stout battery pack in there. I'm not expecting to need every inch of space, but I want to keep my options open until the last minute on battery selection. With the technology progressing so fast I don't want to paint myself into a corner by buying a pack just yet.

Speed goal is 215mph but honestly just to get the thing put together in time to make a run in 2022 will be enough for me, every minute I have after work and every penny I can get is going into this bike and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm driving the frame to Dr John tomorrow to get welded up on a frame jig so until then I'm messing around with the motor.

I'll post pictures when it starts to get exciting, right now it's just a big pile of parts on the floor of my garage.

Alright! Back to it then!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Long Shot Landspeed Bike
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 09:10:16 AM »
Jay, the excitement has already started... every LSR project starts as a pile of stuff, or a chalk drawing on the floor.  You can start with a pic of your donor... and document the transformation. 
Your APS goal should be 216....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JayD

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 02:47:12 AM »
Ah, right you are on the 216, pretty close for a memory like mine though!

Photos attached, picked the bike up for next to nothing from a cool kid in Palm Springs last weekend. Was only looking for a roller but the price was right.

If anyone reading this needs ZR-7 parts, I'll pretty much give them to you if you're gonna do something cool with them. Engine has 35,000 miles and runs.

Other photos are the stock frame and a quick and dirty mockup of what it should look like when I get it back from the frame shop.

Keeping myself busy in the meantime changing every bearing, bushing and seal on the bike.

Offline Frank06

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 04:11:40 PM »
Sounds exciting! What motor and controller are you planning on using?  You're wise to give yourself extra room, real estate can get real valuable very quickly on this type of project.
E-Racer

Offline JayD

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 01:00:57 AM »
Hi Frank,

I'll be using a Tesla car motor with either an EV-Controls or an Ingenext controller, that's not set in stone yet.

I see "E-Racer" in your signature, what do you run?

Offline Frank06

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 07:41:27 AM »
For bikes I've drag raced a converted and back-halved Suzuki GT550, GE series DC motor and Z2k controller.  My street-legal LSR bike ('04 'Busa) has a Remy HVH250 motor with RMS (now Cascadia Motion) controller.  I have several records > 200 mph at Loring with it.  I'm currently (sorry) working on a converted F500 car primarily for drag racing but I've gone 155 on it into a 20 mph headwind with a lot more to be had.  I've been to BMST a couple of times crewing for a friend but will probably never race there myself.
E-Racer

Offline JayD

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 02:41:29 AM »
Good grief! That busa sounds like an animal! I'm very familiar with Cascadia controllers and I've stripped a couple of Remy motors down in the past too. Super nice units. You'd have been using a PM100 I assume? 400V system? I nearly went Busa for mine but I've got almost zero tig welding experience so I went steel frame. I'd love to learn more about that bike if you have a build diary or a website and you're willing to share them. I didn't know there were people getting anywhere near the Lightning record from 10 years ago. Very cool, much respect!

Offline Frank06

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 08:34:34 AM »
Thanks, I'm especially proud that I did it with OEM bodywork i.e. no APS fairing and at sea level.  Asphalt tracks don't have the traction issues of salt of course.  It has a PM100DXR and used 96S4P Lonestar "Sleeper" cells pack for those records.  Those are dragrace cells and I actually have that pack in the little car I'm developing (I removed some cells to make it a 90S pack so I'm in a different NEDRA class than Don Garlits and all the big guys).  The Busa now has a 50S pack of Enerdels and I just bought some 21700's to make a 60S pack: same approx. weight as the Enerdels but more range and, of course, different voltage class.  ;)   (Most every sanctioning body uses voltage as a class delineator, except those running on the salt.)

I made a clunky build diary but it might give you some ideas.  http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=14403.0  I used my MIG welder to build a steel subframe that bolted onto the Busa frame.  It's a heavier than it could have been but seems to work okay.  The first iteration used a 96S pack of Enerdels hung everywhere with a "series" HV250-090 and was heavy!  It's about the same weight as a stock 'Busa the way it sits now.  The dual (parallel) motor is the way to go (same internals as the Lightning) for power but with all the Tesla and other OEM units showing up at the scrapyard that's an excellent approach as well.
E-Racer

Offline JayD

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 02:51:08 AM »
Wow, just flicked through your build diary, very impressive, I'm not sure I've seen someone build a sump into a Remy before! Never heard of the Lonestar drag racing batteries before either! Will definitely have to do some reading into them too, they almost seem too good true. Will have to do the maths and see if they'd be suitable for a longer run down the salt, thanks for the tip.

Would love to go the Remy or similar route, but the Tesla stuff is so much more affordable, especially with part of my day job being overhauling those Tesla motors. It's going to be too long of a motor to run a chain right to the sprocket, so it'll need a jackshaft to put the sprocket in the right place but that's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

Offline Frank06

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 06:33:38 AM »
I put the sump in on the advice of Remy engineers so could use a small circulating pump.  That was on the series wound motor, the bike now has a dual or parallel wound motor and uses a scavenge pump from a turbo system to circulate oil.

I'd be looking at Tesla stuff too if I was starting the build over today, especially if LSR-specific.  My bike is street legal and couldn't work with a stretched chassis.  I'm actually going through a design exercise right now (roadrace) with the same kind of issue: hard to use repurposed OEM stuff while leaving room for sufficient battery.

Those dragrace cells are amazing: I'm still using some from 2014 that have hundreds of 1/8-mile passes on them.
E-Racer