Author Topic: Inline-four crankshaft  (Read 477055 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Inline-four crankshaft
« Reply #510 on: August 16, 2020, 01:33:05 AM »
Did I say I was "on schedule"? With the Loring Harvest event only a couple weeks away, I'm still prodding the body shop to finish a body panel, awaiting ordered parts (solenoid valve burned out yesterday), still learning to pack the chute, have yet to test the A/F ratio meter, my son hasn't said whether he can crew for me.... :-(
Why does it always come down to a final thrash?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #511 on: August 16, 2020, 11:23:40 AM »

Because it's racing Jack.... Good skill often results in good luck.... you are never done... just ready with what you have
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #512 on: August 16, 2020, 03:39:55 PM »
Did I say I was "on schedule"? With the Loring Harvest event only a couple weeks away, I'm still prodding the body shop to finish a body panel, awaiting ordered parts (solenoid valve burned out yesterday), still learning to pack the chute, have yet to test the A/F ratio meter, my son hasn't said whether he can crew for me.... :-(

Jack keep plunging away. If you make it to Loring in a couple of weeks we will be happy to help guide you along with how to pack your chute etc. Im sure there will be extra help around if you end up not having a crew  we will have time between runs to lend a hand show you what you need to do and help you on your rookie runs. We will arrive on Wednesday getting the cars teched and then make runs on Thursday and Friday and then head home on Saturday happy to help as much as possible our crew can cover just about anything including mechanical fuel injection plus blowers are our expertise.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #513 on: August 17, 2020, 12:49:59 AM »
Ronnie- thanks for the offer of help- which, as a rookie, I'll probably need in any case (what's your car number?). I did manage to pack the chute by myself today. The solenoid valve and fittings are now scheduled for delivery Monday rather than Wednesday. And the optimist would say "your son hasn't said 'no' so there's still hope"! Aside from the event itself, I'll feel much better having a companion for the 1,400 mile round trip.
I'm planning to be at the event Wednesday through Saturday- unless major breakage sends me home early.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 12:53:41 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #514 on: August 17, 2020, 12:23:13 PM »
Best of luck, Jack.  I thought I might finally get to meet you, as well as being invited to ride another bike at the event, but the stars have not aligned again, and the Canada-U.S. border is to remain closed for at least another month, so I don't think I'll be able to get across.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #515 on: August 17, 2020, 04:04:12 PM »
Ronnie- thanks for the offer of help- which, as a rookie, I'll probably need in any case (what's your car number?). I did manage to pack the chute by myself today. The solenoid valve and fittings are now scheduled for delivery Monday rather than Wednesday. And the optimist would say "your son hasn't said 'no' so there's still hope"! Aside from the event itself, I'll feel much better having a companion for the 1,400 mile round trip.
I'm planning to be at the event Wednesday through Saturday- unless major breakage sends me home early.

Jack our car number is 8150 rear engine roadster however the front of the car is an original WW2 drop tank body we to will be there mid afternoon Wednesday and head home Saturday. We may also have a roadster its white number is 96. Hope to see you there.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #516 on: August 19, 2020, 01:16:27 AM »
I tried to make a reservation at the Bunker Inn, but my call hasn't been returned for a couple of days now. Anybody know if they are still taking reservations?

Update: The motel returned my call today.
Reservation made and acknowledged for Sep 2nd through Sep 5th at the Bunker Inn.

Former owner/builder/driver of my lakester visited today to view its new drivetrain. And... he came bearing gifts- a new never-worn Stroud -20 two-piece race suit. Great surprise from a great guy!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:56:18 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #517 on: August 31, 2020, 12:19:14 AM »
I've said all along "no cellphone for me", but tonight I reluctantly rushed to get one- just in time for my departure in the morning for Loring. I'm fortunate to be invited to over-night about halfway with a highschool classmate, so I owe him the courtesy of being "communicable".
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #518 on: August 31, 2020, 12:34:44 AM »
Be careful Jack, you might accidentally hit the GPS button on the new phone and find out where you actually are!   :wink:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #519 on: November 15, 2020, 01:14:02 AM »
I should have posted here earlier...
The Loring Harvest Meet went very well for me. Beautiful weather and 1,720 miles on the '59 GMC- only a small exhaust leak and a failed brake light switch. No issues with tech inspection of the lakester. Made 1st licensing pass (125 mph required)- 136 mph at the mile- which bumped the old F/BFL record of 121. Made 2nd licensing pass the next day- and bumped my own mile record to join the "150 club". Not bad for a rookie's first time out! :-)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:20:23 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #520 on: November 15, 2020, 04:01:32 AM »
Well done Jack. Those are a really pretty pair.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
It's amazing how well things can go when you spend lots of time in the shop figuring things out and executing them in a neat and workman like manner.  :clap :clap :clap

I've had a cell phone since '95 but the technology keeps advancing and I don't think I do. It can at times be a somewhat stressful relationship while at other times things like the GPS can be lifesavers.

Pete
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 04:04:16 AM by Peter Jack »

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #521 on: November 15, 2020, 06:17:30 AM »
Great work, Jack, and so sorry I had to miss it.  So near yet so far! (just 10 miles across the border)
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #522 on: November 15, 2020, 07:02:49 AM »
Jack,

Congratulations!   :clap   :cheers:

Wish I could have been there to see, better yet with the car to help keep things even more fun.  :-)

Ed

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 07:04:40 AM by RidgeRunner »

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #523 on: November 15, 2020, 09:34:25 AM »
 Bravo Sir.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #524 on: November 15, 2020, 01:56:39 PM »
Those are great results and especially for a new car.  Good job!