Author Topic: Inline-four crankshaft  (Read 476652 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Inline-four crankshaft
« Reply #420 on: September 12, 2018, 11:33:16 PM »
Jack, when I get back home I will look... You might try Nathan at AEM or Dave at Engine Management Systems in CT.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #421 on: September 13, 2018, 02:58:06 AM »
AEM pointed me to an eBay seller- a few dozen of the pins for $9.95 & free shipping. So they are on their way to me. Thanks guys!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #422 on: September 23, 2018, 01:13:01 AM »
My son got me a loaner laptop and downloaded the AEM software for the data logger. With everything connected and powered up, all I'm getting is "device not connected". I didn't intentionally change the harness from the way Robert was using it, with the exception of adding two pins to the logger connector to utilize vacant inputs. Tomorrow I'll open the conector to see if maybe I dislodged a wire.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #423 on: September 23, 2018, 04:23:26 PM »
My son got me a loaner laptop and downloaded the AEM software for the data logger. With everything connected and powered up, all I'm getting is "device not connected". I didn't intentionally change the harness from the way Robert was using it, with the exception of adding two pins to the logger connector to utilize vacant inputs. Tomorrow I'll open the conector to see if maybe I dislodged a wire.

Oh the wonders of data logging it only took me four years to get my data max system to work correctly.  Many calls to tech and after a long troubling time finally figured out the problem on my own not something I wanted to do myself I feel your pain.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #424 on: September 23, 2018, 09:27:41 PM »
Life is full of mysteries...
Opened the AQ-1 connector and [again] ohm-metered the four USB wires to the laptop plug; all was good, nothing intermittent while "jiggling" all of harness. Put it back together, powered it up, checked 5v and switched 12v, and- laptop now shows "AQ-1" connected"! :roll:
But then it showed "firmware update required". With my son to guide me (he's head of IT for a local school), we stepped through the firmware update. It's now showing live display of at least some inputs- the two position sensors I added (hurray!) and the four EGTs. I need to figure a way to confirm air/fuel ratio and RPM and boost pressure inputs without the engine running.
So progress is being made, albeit slowly. :-)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:29:19 PM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #425 on: September 25, 2018, 05:19:52 PM »

I checked the pressure sensors, both internal and the GM 3 Bar using a cheap regulator meant for a spray gun (Harbor Freight). One side connects to the air hose and the other goes to the sensor. You can regulate the pressure up and down and calibrate easily. While I'm doing this I have the LMA-3 connected to the computer via a serial cable and a USB to serial adapter and the computer is running Innovate's Log Works.

Above the line from the air hose/regulator is connected to a GM sensor.

More info here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/13%20-%20hooley-construction-2013-29.html

Sumner

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #426 on: September 25, 2018, 08:19:09 PM »
Sum;

You are assuming that the Chinese-made gauge is accurate?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #427 on: September 26, 2018, 12:38:08 AM »
RPM display is tested and working fine.

Although live display of position inputs (throttle position, etc.) is okay, the units are merely in volts (0v to 5v). I'm assuming it can be configured to display converted values (0% to 100%, or 0 to 90 degrees, etc.), but I don't know how.

To verify air/fuel ratio logging it's back to studying the AEM manuals. I'm not too happy with the organization of their contents. They refer to "Wizard this" and "Wizard that" without even saying what "Wizard" is. Searching AEM website wasn't any better. Wizard perhaps(?) applies only to viewing logged data. But I haven't even figured out how to display live data of air/fuel ratio- let alone log it and play it back.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:51:02 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #428 on: September 27, 2018, 01:23:32 AM »
I did get desired displays for TPS etc.- 0% to 100%.

Verified functioning of boost pressure display, which is a re-purposing of the air/fuel ratio monitor's exhaust backpressure channel. Set scaling and offset to correspond with the sensor and to change display from absolute pressure to PSIG.

Verified that at least the air/fuel ratio wiring is correct- disconnecting any cylinder's oxygen sensor changes its displayed ratio. Still need to determine whether the values are reasonable (while engine not running).

I think I created a log file, but haven't learned how to display it yet. The manual shows a screen display that's used to choose a file to display- but I haven't been able (yet) to get to that screen!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #429 on: September 27, 2018, 10:17:44 AM »
Hey Jack... this easy technology stuff doesn't seem to be easy till that "ah ha" moment.... do you have an 8-12 year old grandchild that can help you? 
Worked for me.....  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #430 on: September 28, 2018, 01:28:17 AM »
For me the "8-12 year old" is my 40 year old son, whose career is IT. But he's very busy- I have to get in line behind his other clients.
My four grandkids are very good students, but aren't "into" software as much as most other kids.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:16:14 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #431 on: October 01, 2018, 01:31:18 AM »
With a bunch of keyboard time, I'm getting less uncomfortable with the logger's software. Managed to log a couple of "dry" runs and got the playback formatted to be useful. So now it's time to coordinate with my two sons for a test run. 8-)
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #432 on: October 01, 2018, 10:25:26 AM »
Have you figured out how to watch it live Jack?
Good luck with the run and future dyno  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #433 on: October 01, 2018, 03:04:58 PM »
With a bunch of keyboard time, I'm getting less uncomfortable with the logger's software. Managed to log a couple of "dry" runs and got the playback formatted to be useful. So now it's time to coordinate with my two sons for a test run. 8-)

Your fun will really begin once the engine fires and ignition noise gets into the data circuits hopefully the system has filters so you wont experience such a problem.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #434 on: October 02, 2018, 01:24:29 AM »
Bob- yes, I can  do a live display. There apparently aren't the nice options like bar graphs (that can be set up for log displays). But I can display just the four air/fuel ratio numbers by themselves, which is of the most interest initially.

Ronnie- yeah, there's certainly the potential for RFI problems. I've done my best to avoid them- twisted pair wiring of added sensors, carefully keeping sensor ground separate from 12 volt ground everywhere, etc.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru