Author Topic: Inline-four crankshaft  (Read 476619 times)

Online Jack Gifford

Re: Inline-four crankshaft
« Reply #405 on: August 10, 2018, 11:26:16 PM »
Engine back together, almost ready to test-run, then [hopefully] schedule another dyno session.

Stainless- sent a PM.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:28:35 PM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Online Jack Gifford

« Reply #406 on: August 18, 2018, 12:56:13 AM »
No response from Bob (Stainless1) for a week. Is he tied up at Speed Week?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Online Jack Gifford

« Reply #407 on: August 20, 2018, 01:31:07 AM »
Got your message Robert, and sent a reply. Thanks.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Online Jack Gifford

« Reply #408 on: September 01, 2018, 01:24:42 AM »
Received the loaner AEM system- thanks Bob!

Quite a "can of worms"! Only got as far today as mounting the unit on my engine test rig and sorting out and identifying snipped-off wires (I soldered bullet connectors to them for possible later use).

I've only glanced through the software descriptions in the manuals. I'll need to borrow a laptop from my son before I take a good look at those manuals.

I'm sure I'll have many questions for AEM. One that someone here might answer- I'm surprised that system ground and sensor ground aren't common in the logger unit; any reason they can't be?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:26:53 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #409 on: September 01, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »
Jack;

The sensor ground and sensor input are differential inputs; this arrangement rejects small voltage differences that may appear between the two grounds- a "ground loop".

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Online Jack Gifford

« Reply #410 on: September 04, 2018, 01:22:13 AM »
Neil- yes, I realize that it's a differential scheme. But the signal ground would typically be DC-referenced (presumably common) to the system ground at a single point somewhere. In this case I guessed that point would be in the AEM data logger, where the sensor 5V power originates. But an ohmmeter shows no DC connection between the two grounds within the logger.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:23:47 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #411 on: September 04, 2018, 11:18:20 AM »
Yes, Jack, but the whole idea of a differential input is to reject small voltage differences that may exist between the ground at the signal source and a ground elsewhere. In a car or bike, you don't have a single-point ground, things are grounded to the chassis where it is a convenient point to do so. Current flowing through the chassis back to the battery will generate small voltage drops and although they may be microvolts or millivolts, that is enough of a voltage to create an error in your sensor reading. By sensing the actual voltage difference directly at the sensor output the chassis ground return voltages (ground loops) are not included in the sensor reading. Differential inputs won't show a connection to ground using an ohmmeter if it is an instrumentation amplifier input; a difference amplifier (cheaper) input may show a high-resistance reading to ground.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #412 on: September 04, 2018, 05:07:03 PM »
Engine back together, almost ready to test-run, then [hopefully] schedule another dyno session.

Stainless- sent a PM.

That motor is a work of art. I'm blown away. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Online Jack Gifford

« Reply #413 on: September 05, 2018, 02:00:10 AM »
Stainless- do you know what this "lump" is? The cable at its end has been cut off. It emerges from the harness between the 4-channel A/F box and the logger. I find no picture nor mention of it in any of the manuals.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #414 on: September 05, 2018, 10:17:09 AM »
I think it is an unused plug to daisy chain devices together.... probably taped up, then heat shrinked to try to keep the salt out.  Is the other end  plugged into the logger? if so that is the data line that I mentioned.  The data lines are a 4 pin square connector...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Online Jack Gifford

« Reply #415 on: September 06, 2018, 02:01:14 AM »
I went ahead and cut away the covering, and yes it's a 4-pin square female connector. But strangely, no mating male connector was inside the covering- and the covering is not elastic enough to have allowed a connector to be pulled out of it (?). As for where the female connector is wired to, I don't know. It merges into the large bundle of cables from the oxygen sensors, but that bundle branches out both to the 4-channel wide band unit and to the data logger. I still need to do more ohmmeter probing of connectors to determine all the wiring.

You had said you were monitoring boost. The 4-channel wide band unit manual shows the harness having a cable to an exhaust back pressure sensor. This  cable has a 0-50 psig pressure sensor plugged into it- is this the sensor and connection you used (re-purposed?) for boost pressure?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:06:49 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Online Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #416 on: September 06, 2018, 11:15:28 AM »
Jack, as I said before, I think that is the AEMnet data line.  There is probably another one from that unit plugged into the logger.  I thought we logged pressure, and I thought it was from that sensor... but that data is on a computer that died years ago... I suspect from excessive exposure to the salt.  It had tuning files we used in 2003-2008 for our assault on the 1000cc bike records... It had the data files when we used the equipment I sent you to help tune Max's streamliner in 2012....
so I am working on 6 year old memory... and you know how much 6 year olds remember  :roll: 
If that is the back pressure sensor wire, then it was not needed for Max's bike since that is only used in turbo installations, I put the pressure sensor on it because it was in the box of stuff we used and I thought we used it to monitor boost, otherwise it would have been capped like the daisy chain AEMnet data wire. 
The group of red wires goes to power, the group of black go to ground, I think the separate red is switched power and the remainder are the sensors.  Hook it to a battery and a laptop with the AEM logger software on it and it should work.  It came off Max's bike as a unit and went into the box.   
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #417 on: September 06, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »
.... that data is on a computer that died years ago... I suspect from excessive exposure to the salt.  It had tuning files we used in 2003-2008 for our assault on the 1000cc bike records... It had the data files when we used the equipment I sent you to help tune Max's streamliner in 2012....

Do you still have the computer?  If so take the hard drive out and you could get the data off of it,

Sumner

Online Jack Gifford

« Reply #418 on: September 12, 2018, 01:33:15 AM »
... Hook it to a battery and a laptop with the AEM logger software on it and it should work...
Okay, that's what I'll do.
I've finished probing all connector pins and harness "pigtails" and labeling them where needed. I've mounted and wired most of it on the engine-test setup, and am almost finished building/wiring two more sensors- throttle position and fuel shutoff position (I manually lean the engine with the shutoff for prolonged idling)- which will use channels 7 & 8 of the logger. But these pins aren't implemented in the connector, and I'm having trouble sourcing the pins (without buying 200 of them for about $150!). Anybody got any of these female crimp-on pins (for 2.0-2.3 mm diameter wire)? I think they are Delphi #12110236.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:35:19 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #419 on: September 12, 2018, 10:00:45 AM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!