Author Topic: Inline-four crankshaft  (Read 476624 times)

Offline oj

Re: Inline-four crankshaft
« Reply #330 on: January 03, 2017, 04:58:31 PM »
McMaster Carr has bags of plastic plugs and caps for AN fittings, they go by thread size not the AN number.  We all prefer the hard aluminum but for a modest investment you can get bags of each size.  They come in handy when you send stuff out they rarely come back with the hard fittings but the plastic ones will be back in there for some reason.
We're all anxious to hear this little sucker run!

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #331 on: January 03, 2017, 08:26:22 PM »
Thought I might reply here with how I deal with priming oil pressure  in my '40 Austin 4 cyl. flathead ,( 48  cu. in. )  There is a differential electric pump plumbed into the oil lines that primes the motor  , (about 20 lbs. ) , before I start .  It never runs with out at least that  20 lbs. already there !!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #332 on: January 04, 2017, 12:24:02 AM »
Jack, a well written shop manual with lots of hand written notes about special items and procedures is what I use as a memory aid.  There are notes saying "TAKE PAPER TOWEL OUT OF INTAKE PORT BEFORE INSTALLING MANIFOLD" and "INSTALL DRAIN PLUG BEFORE POURING OIL IN."

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #333 on: January 04, 2017, 11:10:29 AM »
WW;

...in my case, "Install oil filter before cranking engine"  :x

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #334 on: January 04, 2017, 12:15:32 PM »
Ah, for the days of the 302 Ford with the pan that had two drain holes - before and after the steering cross pieces.  I remember when Ed, the oil changer old guy at the Ford garage where I worked, put one of the plugs back in before refilling the motor and sending the customer on the way.  The guy got a few blocks. . .  Ed might have learned, but he was old.

Don't ask if I ever did that on the Caterpillar engine in our trucks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #335 on: January 04, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »
Last fall I cranked my engine over a few times before I realized  I had taken the distributor out so no oil pump drive. Good  thing I have to change pistons and cam before the turbo set up is ready to run. It happens.

You are not alone!

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #336 on: January 12, 2017, 01:32:17 AM »
Progress was slowed by discovering that the custom-built Mallory SuperMag III won't reliably fire the engine on the starter. It's asking a lot of a mag to perform well at 10,000 RPM and also at 120 RPM! It's an external-coil mag, so I changed some of the mag's wiring to be external and added a switch to allow it to function as a normal battery/coil/points system during starting. Once it's proven I'll replace the switch with a relay driven from the starter button.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #337 on: January 14, 2017, 12:49:42 AM »
Points/coil start system worked okay. Ran briefly on alcohol a couple of times- fuel system needs sorting out to get a decent idle. Hilborn had provided me a ballpark initial setup but it was with aerated hat nozzles, which I dislike. Changing to non-aerated nozzles threw the setup off, especially low-speed.

Ran just long enough to start looking things over. Immediately noticed runout of the blower pulley. The blower drive snout is defective- .047" TIR at the register diameter for the pulley, causing .077" runout at the front of the 3" wide pulley. Another delay... :-(
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2017, 12:38:51 AM »
Jack, why do you use mechanical fuel injection rather than the electronic version?

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #339 on: January 16, 2017, 01:21:58 AM »
The "theme" of the car is early sixties, when "injected" implied mechanical injection.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #340 on: January 22, 2017, 01:02:49 AM »
Replacement blower snout is fine- less than .001" runout. Got a "free" upgrade- it's 1.250" dia. spline instead of the original 1.125". However... the O.D. increased by .062" so my idler arm no longer fit! :-o Rather than wait for yet another part, I bored the arm to fit.
Although the battery/points starting ignition system worked, I may not need it. I discovered that I could buy just the motor & solenoid to upgrade my 1.4KW Tilton starter to 2.2KW. It cranks at least 50% faster now, and the magneto's free-air spark jumps 2.5 times as far. :-)
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #341 on: March 07, 2017, 01:00:20 AM »
Been having trouble getting the fuel system close enough to keep it running but finally got it going on methanol, about 3,000 RPM, for 20 seconds or so today... prior to the explosion! :-o
The distorted rectangle of 6061 was formerly the floor of the blower manifold. Didn't intend it to be a "burst panel", but it may have served that purpose. Have yet to look for damage to blower or engine.

Right now, I can only guess at the cause. May have simply been too lean on just the hat nozzles- had the port nozzle delivery temporarily blocked, hoping to get it closer to an idle to check at what pressure the popoff valve would open.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #342 on: March 07, 2017, 10:08:23 PM »
That is real bummer Jack. I know diddly about roots type blowers other than backfires do happen so can offer nothing but condolences. However, better now than going down the track. Hope for no damage otherwise and soon back together. You mentioned burst panel...... :?
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #343 on: March 08, 2017, 02:07:14 AM »
Many sanctioning groups- like NHRA- require burst panels on blower manifolds. They are designed to rupture at some value greater than normal boost pressure, to avoid (or at least reduce) collateral damage. When a burst panel is not required it's common to just provide a small spring-loaded popoff panel on the manifold, which will handle minor backfires. My incident was so violent that if the poorly-welded panel hadn't sacrificed itself, the blower would probably have "lifted" and hit the ceiling, even though I did have a popoff valve on the rear. I had to scramble to extinguish a dozen fuel/oil fires all 'round the garage.

The guy who does blown-alky tuning at the dyno shop is sure that my setup was way too lean. Apparently the engine software I use is off-base for extreme situations like my monster blower on a tiny engine.

Hopefully, I'll wind up learning a little something.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:10:00 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #344 on: March 08, 2017, 02:16:45 PM »
Hang in there Jack! As the saying goes: "When you learn by experience the test comes first and the lesson comes afterward"! We are all learning from your experience.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.