Author Topic: Inline-four crankshaft  (Read 476680 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Inline-four crankshaft
« Reply #315 on: November 01, 2016, 04:05:56 AM »
There are always "alternatives" to my solutions...

but that would deprive me of the victories over little challenges... without leaving the shop or using the phone. :wink:

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #316 on: November 01, 2016, 04:08:47 AM »
I agree with you Pete. :cheers:

Offline oj

« Reply #317 on: November 09, 2016, 09:17:18 AM »
Very impressive.  I'll admit to skipping ahead to the 'end' of this thread and now I'll have the pleasure of going back to read the entirety.  In the beggining everybody was talking of huge horse power numbers, I thought I'd skip ahead for a looksee before investing the time to read it.  It has exceeded my expectations, now I'l be able to read how it was done.
Well done.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #318 on: November 10, 2016, 01:14:10 AM »
Well... not "done"... merely proceeding with the "acid test" of a bunch of wacko ideas.

But it's moving along now toward a dyno session. Got some odds and ends done- EGT sensor bungs welded into headers, temporary engine mounts to fit the dyno rig, sourced a Zeke's Engineering water pump and NC pressure-limit switch, System-1 engine oil filter plumbed and mounted, tiny magnet mounted to bottom blower pulley for engine speed logging, drive adaptor to couple QC to the dyno's shaft is almost all machined, etc., etc. Also set up a temporary qauge/switch panel to initially fire up the engine at home prior to the dyno time.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #319 on: November 29, 2016, 01:26:00 AM »
Dang it all. DejaVu all over again. Seems like I go through this same mental anguish every time I get an engine 99% wrapped up. Did I really plug all eight oil drillings to the unused lifter bosses of the engine's left bank? :? I hoped I could get some assurance by putting air pressure on the feed port and listening- but the results were inconclusive. :cry:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 01:28:24 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2016, 02:56:20 AM »
I'm relieved to learn that, yes, I truly did block those unused oil passages. :-) Didn't require much teardown- just enough to view the area while applying oil pressure to the gallery.
Mallory Super-mag III received and base/drive adapted, ignition system completed.
Fuel system has been built and flowed by Hilborn, should arrive here any day.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline tauruck

« Reply #321 on: December 09, 2016, 03:09:51 AM »
Better than just chancing it hey Jack??? :-D

All sounds great. awesome build friend. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #322 on: December 11, 2016, 01:12:48 AM »
It's a good thing I don't keep a log of all the time I waste... you'd all die laughing. :oops:

However, the latest incident is so silly you WILL laugh. On my first note-taking trip to the dyno shop, I scribbled a sketch of the layout and dimensions of the 8-bolt flange on the brake. I proceeded to make up a steel adaptor to connect my QC output shaft to the dyno. I had finished it but had forgotten to note the necessary bolt hole sizes and couldn't get through to them on the phone. So I drove there yesterday, taking the adaptor with me to double-check the fit. Surprise :-o- I had created an exact copy of the dyno piece face- instead of a piece to mate with it! :x

Fortunately it merely required machining away the "register" diameter at the outer edge of the adaptor, and opening my 7/16" bolt holes to 12mm.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #323 on: December 24, 2016, 03:05:32 AM »
A drawback of such a long-drawn-out project is forgetting details from a couple of years ago...
After mounting the block plate, flywheel,  clutch, and clutch can, I was puzzled by not being able get the can to indicate closer than about .015" from crank center. Finally, it came to me- the massive welding to repair the block and machining to true it all up resulted in the crank being "sunk" into the block about .015"- duh! Took me most of this afternoon to set up the can in the mill, individually locate on each bolt/dowel hole (total of 21 of them!) and plunge mill them .015" offset.

Fuel system is just awaiting some AN- fittings to finish plumbing it. Temporary oil and water tanks/hoses set up for test-firing. Hoping to hear it run yet this year... :-D :-D :-D
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #324 on: January 02, 2017, 01:35:55 AM »
Well... as for 2016, I did get to hear it fire up on a primer shot of gas a couple of times. But didn't see any bottom-end oil pressure, so didn't dare run it long enough to flow alcohol. Started tearing into it today and am now totally embarrassed. Look closely at the photo and you'll notice a cork blocking the fitting that feeds into the block's main gallery! This isn't the first time I've been this dumb- I've got a habit of putting corks in openings while stuff is apart (to keep dirt out)- and then forgetting them before assembling. Duh... :roll:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:37:41 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline tauruck

« Reply #325 on: January 02, 2017, 01:52:34 AM »
Jack, you're not dumb, just careful and you found the problem before it became a catastrophe.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #326 on: January 02, 2017, 05:30:31 AM »
Well... as for 2016, I did get to hear it fire up on a primer shot of gas a couple of times. But didn't see any bottom-end oil pressure, so didn't dare run it long enough to flow alcohol. Started tearing into it today and am now totally embarrassed. Look closely at the photo and you'll notice a cork blocking the fitting that feeds into the block's main gallery! This isn't the first time I've been this dumb- I've got a habit of putting corks in openings while stuff is apart (to keep dirt out)- and then forgetting them before assembling. Duh... :roll:

I would say you were smart enough and experienced enough to not hurt the assembly by "hoping" for the oil pressure to appear.

Just get some plastic caps and plugs for AN fittings.  Used properly, they can't be "left in" the fittings.    They are cheap and that solves the cork problem.

:cheers:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #327 on: January 02, 2017, 10:02:47 AM »
Jack - it's the nature of projects like this - it's not our 9-5 jobs.

If we had the ability to do this kind of work all at one sitting, the cork would likely have not even been in place.

You caught it before you had a problem - that's what's critical.

One will read through dozens of articles and builds, or talk with other engine builders, and never hear about something like this.  But THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT DOESN'T HAPPEN TO OTHERS.

Let's face it - if it was truly foolproof, we wouldn't be doing it!
   :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #328 on: January 03, 2017, 03:11:00 AM »
Yeah, the AN-caps are the way-to-go. It just seems I never have enough of the size needed at any time. Having a huge old bag of corks handy is probably not wise... :|

Bottom-end pressure is now 20 PSI on the starter. Busy with other stuff today, but hope to hear it run tomorrow!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #329 on: January 03, 2017, 08:12:35 AM »
Jack- do you have a set up to drive the oil pump with a drill or something to prelube everything well before you fire it? I have a 7/16 ball like hex bolt in the pulley on my pump that I use. In the car can't fit even an angle drill driver on it so use a gilmer belt pulley mounted in the drill and a spare belt to drive the pump. I run it until have good pressure for quite a while before trying to fire it any time when the engine has been sitting for any period of time or for sure after a rebuilt. This prelubes the pump too so there is no delay getting pressure on the starter. Has helped me catch things I have done like the cork in the line deal.

Looking forward to hearing it run!!! :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019