Author Topic: Inline-four crankshaft  (Read 476655 times)

Offline hoffman900

Re: Inline-four crankshaft
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2016, 06:01:47 PM »
Worst case valve-to-valve clearance measured all of .030"! :-o But changing from 108.5 degree lobe centerlines to 112.5 degrees (easy to do with dual cams) improves the situation to about .054". Surprisingly, engine simulator software shows very little change to the torque curve from the centerline change- if the software is to be believed. :? Anyhow, I'll be cautious and set them @ 112.5 initially, at least.

Jack,

You might consider running the intake @ 108.5 and the exhaust @ 116.5 to preserve your valve to valve clearance.    If your simulation is PipeMax, there will be little change, if any.   I like to see valve to valve clearance @ overlap somewhere in the .040" plus range, depending on how much I suspect the valve will "waggle around".    Spintron testing has made me "cautious".

My experience with 2v and 4v DOHC engines is that advanced intake events (~2/4 degrees) improve Tq, at little to NO top end penalty, as long as exhaust events are also advanced a similar amount.   This is of course, all subjective, and engine types DO vary, so it might not work.   But at least it is an option to try and as a side benefit, exhaust valve to piston clearance is increased.    Intake valve to piston clearance is, of course, decreased by advancing events.

:cheers:

Mark, here is a thread with a homemade spintron on a Norton twin (hemi). I / E valve clearance is tight when things start bouncing. Yikes!
http://www.accessnorton.com/about-time-for-the-spintron-t21837-150.html (videos from that point on).

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #301 on: September 04, 2016, 01:47:08 AM »
Windage tray done- neat directional-perforation material from Moroso. Engine all buttoned up.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #302 on: October 15, 2016, 01:58:14 AM »
Just a quick note to let people know I haven't fallen off the face of the earth...

Many non-racing interruptions, but slow/steady progress. Oil system is complete other than in-car plumbing to tank/filter. Engine coolant cavity is finally water-tight; should not have taken long, but every little detail wanted to fight me. So the engine is complete other than buying/plumbing/flowtesting a fuel system (Hilborn 4-port, 150B pump) and bolting up the magneto that's almost finished being built. Discussed dyno time with a local shop that specializes in staged-turbo diesel engines for pulling competition- the dyno can measure up to 4,300 ft.lb. of torque! I certainly don't need that torque range, but we did need to talk about the dyno brake's 6,000 RPM limit. Looks like it will work out well if I bolt my drivetrain (clutch can, CrowerGlide clutch, in/out box, and inline QC box) to the engine first. I can create almost any desired ratio in the QC, so a 1.7:1 will allow running the engine to the [hoped-for] 10,000 RPM. The QC uses a pair of straight-cut spur gears, so power losses through it won't be a big concern. Actually, this will kill-2-birds-with-one-stone for me- I can experiment with clutch weights, instead of needing to do that on a race track. I'm hoping enough weight can be removed to delay full lockup to about 4,000 - 4,500 RPM.

Omigosh- 4,300 ft.lb. @ 6,000 RPM is more than 4,900 HP. :-D  Watching dyno-testing of these "smoker" engines is awesome.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:07:37 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #303 on: October 29, 2016, 02:32:29 AM »
Got in a couple of good hours with the dyno shop owner yesterday, checking stuff off my list of details to take care of prior to dyno time. Only a few items to deal with- machine a coupler to mate my QC output shaft (1 3/8" 16 spline) with the dyno shaft, modify engine mounts slightly, add EGT bungs to the header pipes, and provide a magnet mount on my crankshaft for the dyno to log engine speed. A bunch of stuff is available on-site- drysump tank, etc.- and it appears that all hose sizes/fittings are compatible.

I think I'll initially fire the engine up prior to the session, to not waste dyno time chasing leaks or whatever.

Engine is looking a little more complete...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:34:35 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline tauruck

« Reply #304 on: October 29, 2016, 04:18:51 AM »
Looks great Jack. What a piece of engineering!!!!. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #305 on: October 29, 2016, 10:14:01 AM »
Jack,
That is too cool
nice work  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #306 on: October 29, 2016, 03:48:46 PM »
Jack,
That is too cool
nice work  :cheers:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: You are an inspiration,

Sumner

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #307 on: October 29, 2016, 05:19:49 PM »
X3  :cheers: :cheers:

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #308 on: October 29, 2016, 06:55:30 PM »
Jack, I hope you don't mind, but I downloaded the picture and I'm using it as my screen saver.

VERY WELL DONE!

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #309 on: October 30, 2016, 01:23:14 AM »
... VERY WELL DONE!....
Thanks... but it surely isn't 'DONE' yet...
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #310 on: October 30, 2016, 07:15:32 PM »
... VERY WELL DONE!....
Thanks... but it surely isn't 'DONE' yet...

Are they EVER?   :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #311 on: October 30, 2016, 10:11:42 PM »
Well Jack, of course they are never done...

But it certainly looks like one of those motors that ought to

Go Like Stink   :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #312 on: October 31, 2016, 02:11:59 AM »
Shade tree approach to angle cross-slide lathe work on a mill:
I re-purposed a cheap drillpress vise as a variable-angle-travel toolholder for my mill. It came in handy, yet again, on the fittings of a NOS Hilborn F500 fuel filterl I bought on e-pay (no longer available new). Fifty years of rude handling had dinged up the 37 degree angled flares, so I set the device to 37 degrees and skimmed about .010"  off the flares. [Using such a cheap vise required considerable effort to re-machine the dovetails and wedges for precise/true travel]
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #313 on: October 31, 2016, 11:14:58 AM »
Jack;

An alternative to re-machining the 37 degree flare on the AN fitting would be to put a conical copper washer over the dinged-up flare. This thin soft washer deforms as the fitting is tightened and seals it. They are available at a couple of race parts dealers.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #314 on: November 01, 2016, 02:36:23 AM »
There are always "alternatives" to my solutions...

but that would deprive me of the victories over little challenges... without leaving the shop or using the phone. :wink:
M/T Pontiac hemi guru