Author Topic: Concerns over High Event Entries (racer turnout)  (Read 12720 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Concerns over High Event Entries (racer turnout)
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:51:16 AM »
I know with the ECTA's much anticipated move to Ohio there is a lot of speculation concerning how many entries will show up.

There is also concern over a cap of 150 entries and with that large number of entries it would surely reduced the amount of runs we have been able to get at past ECTA events.

Some ECTA regulars even have suggested a cap of 120 so to increase the potential number of runs per entrant.

Others have suggested pre registration preference be given to current ECTA members with regular and most frequent event attendance.

All these are valid concerns and decent suggestions.

I have immense confidence in the ECTA to work out the logistics and put on a smooth event for all of us...

HOWEVER, managing long staging lines in order to get maximum runs in per hour/event is NOT ONLY the task of the Event Staff, it is us as competitors who also have to do our part.

1. Be courteous in the staging lanes.
2. Be 100% ready when you are 3 to 4 back in line.
3. If you are not ready, tell the start line crew to send the next racer down course, they will appreciate that and get you going as soon as you are ready.
4. If you have a problem on course (fluids leaking out) get out of the racing groove as soon as you feel safe to do so. this will limit clean up time and distance.
5. After you have safely slowed your vehicle, maintain a decent mph to exit the course and clear shutdown as quickly and safely as you can, to allow the next vehicle to begin.

This is just a partial list of the things we racers MUST Do to help with maximizing runs and limiting wait times.

All for one, one for All,  working together benefits us all...

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: Concerns over High Event Entries (racer turnout)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »
Well put Charlse, The ECTA provides us the venue it is up the racers to help ensure a smooth event.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »
Charles:

There is also the cost and time consideration. In April I towed 11 hours one way for one run on Sat and one on Sun. Not trying to criticise, just offer some ideas for discussion. At that event there were a couple of opportunities to improve efficiency. One is the rookie orientation. It may work better if the rookie orientation is on Friday afternoon and early Sat morning before the driver's meeting. This way the event could pick up 30 to 45 minutes. That would have allowed 25 more cars or bikes to run. The other is the driver's meeting. I witnessed delays while 100 or so of us waited on stragglers. In every other form of racing I have been  involved with the drivers meeting starts at a certain time and if you are not there...you don't race, period. Now ECTA is a nice group of people but maybe there is a way to hold people more accountable for getting to the meeting on time. If we pick up an additional 10 minutes with the above there could be 30 more runs maybe more. Lastly, I would like to see a street class time set aside so they can hot lap. Say an hour, they can just run and get back in line. When the hour's up the class racers run. This may be a way for them to get a fair number of runs and the class racers to get a fair number of runs.
Again not criticizing just thinking of ways to make a great event even greater. Thanks to everyone at ECTA for all the hard work.
Happy Holidays everyone.
Bill Reilly
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 06:20:40 PM »
Bill, Amy and me will be on the receiving end of the 11hr tow to get to Ohio in stead of 3 hrs. You make some good suggestions. As the ECTA moves and continues to grow Driver/Team accountability should be enforced at the drivers meetings, rookie orientation and in the staging lanes. I know that I if I am late for a meeting at work I get a ration of stink eye from the boss and everyone else. Points to consider.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:20:34 AM »
Charles, you are 100% correct, and it is up to us, to an extent, to make sure we do everything possible to keep the smooth flow in the lines.  That said, I still believe anything over 120 entries starts to get on the edge of getting enough runs for the drive.  If you do the math and everything goes perfect, no oil downs, no computer or printer failures, no issues with rescue, etc it gets tight.  For us running MR-12 we also loose money on the fuel if we only make 3 runs.  You can't leave it in the tank or you risk hurting the injectors.  You can't use it at the next event as the seal on the 5 gallon can is broken.  At $130-$150 for 5 gallons it is expensive brush burning gas. 
I'm just a competitor and member of the ECTA.  I'm sure they will come up with what is best.  Will there be growing pains, no doubt about it.  I admit I was spoiled at Maxton.  I could take a couple of runs to get things dialed in and still have runs left to go for it.  With limited runs I'll probably break more stuff by shortening the process.  That's on me though. 
We'll see everyone in Ohio and start the new ECTA adventure.  Merry Christmas to everyone and may 2012 be safe and fast.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 07:52:27 AM »
Buy yourself some 1 gallon containers and fill them to the brim. After that you're going to waste less than a gallon. With the price of the gas the jugs will pay for themselves pretty quickly.

Pete

Online Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 11:17:20 AM »
. . . and find a way for an official to seal them 'til the next meet.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 11:38:08 AM »
I know the folks at ECTA will get it figured out. I think it is a good problem to have.... more participants build the sport. We all have the same desire, we just want to run our cars/bikes as many runs as we can. I hope someday the event  will justify a 3rd day like Friday! Then us hard cores can get our dial in runs done on Friday, Thrash Friday night if the need be and make record runs on Sat and Sunday. I would be willing to pay a little extra to run the additional day.   

Oh and my weed-wacker and pit scooter run really well on my Maxton left over 114 fuel!

Have a great Holiday Season everyone.

Bill

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 12:48:12 PM »
Weed whacker and pit scooter -- and try some A8C in the snow thrower.  I know, I know -- you even know what a snow thrower is - - down in your part of the country.  Up here they're a piece of life and death living.  Anyway -- the smell of race gas, while blowing a foot and a half of snow out of the driveway -- brings back warm memories (both literally AND figuratively).

Okay, back to the ECTA/waiting line subject. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline entropy

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 01:21:06 PM »
Charles, you are 100% correct, and it is up to us, to an extent, to make sure we do everything possible to keep the smooth flow in the lines.  That said, I still believe anything over 120 entries starts to get on the edge of getting enough runs for the drive. 

+1 for Greg's words :cheers:

20hr drive for me...

Texas is running a lil over 200 entrants, and has the logistics down pat (except for what to do about folks gridding up during the night).

I know Joe & Keith have been doing this for longer than Texas, but Texas has been running a capped number of entries for 3-4 years.
IMO Joe & Keith should visit Beeville for the March event, just see how they do it.

With that said, i strongly feel that Texas is running too many participants even with the excellent logistics

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »
Entropy, I guess I'd better ask you to do what I'm asking the new folks on here -- and that's to fill in your location back on your Profile page.  We'll then see your state or town or whatever you put in there -- on every post you make.  It helps us figure out how you've got a 20 hour drive, and in general salves the curiosity of the folks reading your posts.  Thanks.  And - if you don't do it -- wait 'til you see what I put in there for you. :roll: :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 06:21:44 PM »
I'm going from an easy 2 hour pull to a 10 1/2 (according to Mapquest) pull over the mountains.  I'll be buying a new (to me) pickup as I don't think the Dakota should be asked to make that run 4 times a year.  Still, it's worth it.  Anyone have a 7.3 Ford shortbed?

As far as number of entries and speeding up the whole deal - I'm thinking we'll have to wade into it and see what works and what doesn't.  Keith and Joe have made MANY adjustments over the past few years (pre-staging, reworking start line safety checks, etc.) and no doubt they will continue to do so.  Their goal is the same as ours - run a safe meet and let folks get as many runs as possible.  We'll have to be flexible as will the ECTA but we'll make everything work in the end - of that I'm sure.

Have a GREAT winter solstice holiday  - whichever one you observe.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline entropy

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »
Entropy, I guess I'd better ask you to do what I'm asking the new folks on here -- and that's to fill in your location back on your Profile page.  We'll then see your state or town or whatever you put in there -- on every post you make.  It helps us figure out how you've got a 20 hour drive, and in general salves the curiosity of the folks reading your posts.  Thanks.  And - if you don't do it -- wait 'til you see what I put in there for you. :roll: :evil:

well dang it SSS, i didn't know i had a profile page.
gettin' right on it!!!!!
 :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 10:08:43 PM »
Thank you vurra mush.  We all appreciate it - and we all have a profile page.  That's a hint to the rest of your out there in forum-land, you know.

G'night - Nancy's heading to bed - therefore so am I :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »

Charles here is an idea, Mike Cook has his event, Charles you should host the Venable Rods and Racing Invitational Land Speed Shootout. Invite 30 cars and 30 bikes and "we", assuming I get invited, can run laps until our stuff is worn out. :)

A more serious idea would be a test and tune on Friday with times but no record until Sat/Sun. For those of us that will tow 17 hours with a freshly rebuilt piece we can work some of the winter bugs out. I know there is a lot involved for ECTA to do an extra day but I know I would be willing to pay an extra fee to get some Friday runs.

Bill

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM