Author Topic: Sidecars  (Read 49987 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SPEED SECRET COMING OUT PARTY.
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2006, 09:31:20 PM »
Geez Dan , you didn't need to tell all those to make the point ! LOL
You will also remember that Andy ran backwards from East to West and through the dip that scared many people off.
KC did it not because he thought it was better, but he was lost and crashed. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Sidecars
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2009, 11:07:26 PM »
A lot of build threads start and then just fade away.  As this thread did.  So here is the end.  The sidecar languished for a while as my Norton was starting to run good.  Plus I had a Triumph trans in the sidecar that had one forward and four neutrals.  I located the AMC trans and made plans for it to come out to El Mirage this year.

The May meet was most embarrassing!  I was thrown out of tech.  There was a number of things that the inspectors didn't like.  The main offense was the handlebar set up.  Plus ballast on the sidecar platform.  The changes were made for June and it passed tech without incident.  I was running on a 101 minimum.  The first test run produced 107.  At the July meet it ran 111 and back to impound.  But at the Sept. meet it started to find its legs.  A run of 122.240.  Needless to say I as over the moon!  Oct. brought me back to earth.  The wind and the dust slowed it to 112.  Last week was a bit of a mess.  A death in the family had me nearly not going but my wife said go as there was nothing we could do.  Unfortunately one of the coil wires broke off and the result was a turn out.

A good end to a build thread.
By weslake, shot with Canon PowerShot A430 at 2009-07-15

By weslake at 2009-10-24
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 11:09:47 PM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Dakzila

• 1956 Triumph cub
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2009, 11:55:37 AM »
 :cheers:
Nortonist,
I got to tell you a short story.  My first trip to El Mirage, last June, was my first trip to any land speed racing event.  I was wandering around looking at all of the entries and I came across this vehicle like I'd never seen before, it was your sidecar!  Out of all of the motorcycle powered vehicles at El Mirage that Sunday yours caught my eye.
I thought to myself "this would be a fun ride". I watched you run that day and decided then and there that I wanted to build something for the dry lake.
I ended up building a conventional motorcycle for ELMO but I just wanted to let you know that your sweet little sidecar was the inspiration I needed to get off my butt and getting something put together.

Hope to see more of you at El Mirage next year and congratulations on a very successful first season.

Buzz
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:01:50 PM by Dakzila »
"Marred by indecision; vision is blurred, confidence deteriorates and progress stagnates."

"It's not about what you did.....It's about what you do!"

"Regret is part of the aging process and should never be confused with failure."

Offline rockstar

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2009, 03:47:28 PM »
Hi Bill.
that is a wicked looking little toy,and it sounds like you are having a lot of fun with it,does that mean you have retired the solo?
Has any one tried using any of the late model racing sidecars for LSR,like the F1 type,they are long,low and very aero,saw a pic on the BUB meet thread and it looked like a LSR Racing F1 outfit,rumour has it had a blown hyaboosa engine it.

David
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2009, 07:08:45 PM »
Here are some photos of the sidecar rigs at the 2009 Bub's event.  The white very aero rig is PeglegCraig's -- the rest I don't have names for.  I am sorry that I don't have one of Bob Bakker's units here.

This is a detail shot of the rider's perch:

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2009, 07:37:22 PM »
Here are some photos of the sidecar rigs at the 2009 Bub's event.  The white very aero rig is PeglegCraig's -- the rest I don't have names for.  I am sorry that I don't have one of Bob Bakker's units here.

This is a detail shot of the rider's perch:

The White Turbo Busa Sidecar is owned and ridden by Fritz Egli I believe  :wink:

Pegleg's bike is not pictured..

J

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2009, 07:57:52 PM »
You mean you couldn't read my mind and see the photos that I had in the iPhoto file of the 'puter -- but not in the Photobucket file?

Thanks, John.  You're right about the Fritz Egli rig.  As I remember he went pretty danged fast, too.  And now, for sure, I've got PLCraig's bike photos here.  And I found another one or two as well.

And I STILL didn't find one of Bob Bakker's rides.  Sorry, Bob.  His rigs are of the tradtional (I guess they would fall into the F1 category, as you called it), David.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2009, 01:45:28 AM »
John said "Hey I got a turbo'ed 'Busa you can borrow and stuff in this!!"  I said "Does it come with balls?"

By weslake, shot with Canon PowerShot A430 at 2009-11-16
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline bak189

« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2009, 11:50:23 AM »
The #175 outfit is a LCR using 1000c.c. Kawa. motor belonging to Rick Murray and his passenger wife Nida.....it is a roadracing outfit.....with this outfit they have won several N. American sidecar roadracing championships.  I was able to talk them in bringing their outfit to the BUB in 2008, they set a record and upped their record in 2009......they are now hooked on LSR and are planning on a special LSR outfit in the future.........The white outfit from Fritz Egli set the FIM World Record (pending) at 208+mph. Fritz indicated to me that for 2010 he will be back to go even faster..........Craig Anderson's sidecar liner only ran at the BUB's "run what you brung" to get the outfit sorted out and test the use of a chute on a sidecar outfit, he did run 158+mph..
For the 2010 BUB we expect BIG speeds in the sidecar classes as many of the outfits are now sorted out
and are ready "to go for it".
For the 2010 BUB event I will be increasing the dollar amount for the sidecar classes.......for the 2009
event we had 11 sidecars entered in various classes......so our efforts to get sidecars into LSR has been
somewhat succesfull...
Question authority.....always

Offline bak189

« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2009, 12:53:41 PM »
In regards to Rockstar's question about using a LCR..F1 type sidecar on the Bonneville salt.......wide tires
(tyres) do not work well on the salt.......the Murray LCR had so much salt spray off the front wheel that it packed the front of the fairing with salt to the extent that the front suspension lowered down allowing the fairing to drag on the salt............Yes, the Aero of the F1 fairings would work well.....but it would have to be mounted on a special LSR only chassis.........................................................................

PS.  Hey, John N. I finally got my Brazil Visa........cost a arm and a leg.......be gone for 30 plus days
to S. America.......I know you will all miss me........B.B..................................................................
Question authority.....always

Offline k.h.

« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2009, 01:31:15 PM »
Perhaps Herr Egli will bring this older design.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2009, 02:18:47 PM »
Bob, thanks very much for all of the information.  I was hoping to hear from you.

Going to Brazil, hey?  There's a 14-page special section on Brazil in the Economist of last week.  Interesting -- I learned quite a bit of the country and how it works.  Looks like a good place to go -- especially if I were a decade or three younger.  Have a safe and fruitful trip.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rockstar

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2009, 01:33:29 PM »
Hi Bak.
Thanks for the info on the 175 outfit!.

David
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK