Author Topic: Use of chute  (Read 6792 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Use of chute
« on: November 29, 2011, 01:06:04 AM »
In my first couple of passes through an SCTA rulebook I didn't see an answer to this:
Where provision of a drag chute is required, is/are there any requirement(s) for chute deployment?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Use of chute
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 08:43:55 AM »
As part of a "license up process" the powers that be have rookies deploy the chute usually above 175.
  some cars  (roadsters) are a drag chute with wheels,
 lakesters have four rotating chutes that are permanently deployed that maintain ride height.
 if you roll merrily along with out taking an exit you get yelled at for tying up the track

---lots deploy--lots take high speed turnouts  YMMV
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:16:24 AM »
Jack, the requirement is that your car have one if the record you are challenging is above 175 or if your car qualifies for the long course.  Deployment is required the first time your vehicle runs on the long course.
The unwritten rule is that you deploy a chute to get off the course as soon as possible... since the salt surface is not conducive to heavy breaking, the best way to scrub speed is with the anti-aero device.  We want you off the track within a mile or so, so we can go racing  :-D
We demonstrate our chute almost every pass, the car rolls for miles without it. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mkilger

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:33:48 AM »
read rule changes for 2012

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 01:54:27 AM »
read rule changes for 2012
Okay... I read the three pages of the "Rules Changes" thread in this forum; didn't see anything that addressed my question? Are there additional rules changes posted elsewhere?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline BudJ63

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 02:48:35 AM »
3.M                  PARACHUTE:

An approved parachute is required on all cars that qualify for the long course (175 MPH). Vehicles that exceed 300 MPH shall be equipped with two (2) independent parachute systems. Parachutes shall be securely mounted to a suitable cross-member. All parachutes shall be opened during inspection.  Special attention shall be given to the length and mounting point of the parachute tether line.  The manufacturer’s recommendations should be followed regarding parachute size, mounting, etc.

On those vehicles required to have parachutes, the deployment of the parachute/s is at the driver’s discretion, consistent with safe and efficient event and vehicle operation.                   

Parachute failures, such as the parachute pack not opening, parachute canopy not opening, parachute separation from the vehicle, handling problems as a result of parachute opening, etc., will require a re-inspection.

ALL VEHICLES HAVING A PARACHUTE FAILURE SHALL RETURN TO THE INSPECTION AREA WITH ALL COMPONENTS OF THE PARACHUTE SYSTEM. A NOTATION WILL BE MADE IN THE VEHICLE LOG BOOK DESCRIBING THE FAILURE AND SOLUTION.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:29:19 PM »
If you are running at El Mirage it isn't optional.

"SCTA El Mirage Racing Procedures
If a vehicle is equipped with a parachute, the Safety Committee requires its use. The pilot parachute shall be deployed as the vehicle enters the timing lights."
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:29:50 PM »

Aside from everything said above, I made sure I pulled the chute the first run ever at 131 mph and then each time I went faster after that. My reason was to find out how the car reacted. I would not feel good about pulling it at 205 if the only other time had been at 131. Cars have crashed badly because of a parachute, such as an anchor point to high/low. It does not take much time to pack and you will also find out if you are doing a good job of packing it. This is supposed to be fun, crashing or getting hurt is not on my fun things to do. Be safe and stay thirsty my friends.
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 06:26:15 PM »

I made sure I pulled the chute the first run ever at 131 mph and then each time I went faster after that. My reason was to find out how the car reacted. I would not feel good about pulling it at 205 if the only other time had been at 131.

that's a good way to go about it.

chutes and any number of other things in steps.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 11:58:19 PM »
How timely... a "chute deployment" guideline has been added to the 2012 rulebook.

Hmm... I like the way this works- I post a rules question, and two months later the topic gets added to the book!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:01:15 AM by Pontiac Jack »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 07:42:05 AM »
PJ, well sorta, what is happening, is things that used to be handled individually,  are now being recorded on paper---the consequenes for non compliance will be higher I suspect  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fastman614

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 11:48:52 PM »
Deploying your chute like that IS actually a good idea..... you WILL get a feel for it in the 25 mph increments.... but it really does not feel like "fun" until about 200 mph or so.... that is about when you really start to notice the stopping power that it really has!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.